Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is There A Way To Raise A Strut/Spring Setup On My SC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 08:18 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure, PM him for pricing. I think you can usually get the street version for around a grand, but the track versions are more expensive.
Old 07-30-10, 08:30 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OneJay
I'm not sure, PM him for pricing. I think you can usually get the street version for around a grand, but the track versions are more expensive.
Oh, I see... I sent him a PM on pricing. Hopefully it won't be too high...
Old 07-30-10, 01:29 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

For the love of God please don't get Megan coilovers.
Old 07-30-10, 02:07 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
+1 I say get something European.
Old 07-30-10, 02:10 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your sig is very true, spend more money up front rather then spending more in the future doing things twice.
Old 07-30-10, 05:45 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree on the quality products. but if you are looking to get some ride height back you might have a solution. The Japanese company MoonFace has an 8mm spacer you install between the pillow ball mount and the mounting surface to give you some extra height.

Moon Face Spacer
Old 07-30-10, 08:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea those are the spacers you'll need. Wonder if the price is per spacer or set. Wouldn't be cost effective if it was $100/piece
Old 07-30-10, 09:46 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Looks like it's priced front and rear....
Old 07-31-10, 07:36 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Are they really that bad compared to BC, Tein, and HKS? I had always heard good things about them from everyone that has a set.I might end up getting a set of Tein Flex coilovers since I found a guy selling some for $800.

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
+1 I say get something European.
Any recommendations? I'm not to familiar with the European brands.

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Your sig is very true, spend more money up front rather then spending more in the future doing things twice.
That is very true. I learned my lesson the hard way back when I was really into car audio. I'm probably going to get Teins.

Originally Posted by TougeSC3
I agree on the quality products. but if you are looking to get some ride height back you might have a solution. The Japanese company MoonFace has an 8mm spacer you install between the pillow ball mount and the mounting surface to give you some extra height.

Moon Face Spacer
Thank you! That is exactly what I need, they are just really expensive. A set of two cost almost as much as my suspension...

Yea those are the spacers you'll need. Wonder if the price is per spacer or set. Wouldn't be cost effective if it was $100/piece
They are on the pricey side.

Looks like it's priced front and rear....
I thought spacers were usually cheaper, but I guess a cheap spacer wouldn't be that safe.
Old 07-31-10, 09:07 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

If you're gonna spend 800 bucks, don't get Teins, they're not that great either. For around 950 you can build yourself a gixxer drew setup and you can choose your own spring rates. The problem with coilovers like the megans and most teins is the valving of the dampers. They put pretty stiff springs on a damper with crappy valving, so you get a harsh ride.

The bilsteins are valved well enough that you can put up to around an 800lb spring on it without revalving it.
Old 07-31-10, 09:49 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't get Teins, they're not that great either.
I'm currently on Flex right now, and love the more aggressive feel. Haven't been in a car with Basics or SS's, so I don't know what they ride like.
Old 07-31-10, 11:50 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
Any recommendations? I'm not to familiar with the European brands.
Anything with Bilstein, Koni, Ohlins, KW. I have the gixxer drew setup mentioned. So, I'd definitely support that idea.
Old 08-01-10, 04:52 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

If you're gonna spend 800 bucks, don't get Teins, they're not that great either. For around 950 you can build yourself a gixxer drew setup and you can choose your own spring rates. The problem with coilovers like the megans and most teins is the valving of the dampers. They put pretty stiff springs on a damper with crappy valving, so you get a harsh ride.

The bilsteins are valved well enough that you can put up to around an 800lb spring on it without revalving it.
I was doing some research on the gixxer drew setup and it seemed the best route to go. At the time, I didn't have the money to do it, but I might give it a shot. I had always heard good things about the Tein Flex, but I don't know too much about the others.

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
I'm currently on Flex right now, and love the more aggressive feel. Haven't been in a car with Basics or SS's, so I don't know what they ride like.
I was impressed how your car rode which was why I figured I might go with the Flex. I had seen a set of Basics and Super Streets , but I heard the Flex was way better. I might trade my setup to a guy towards the Flex, so we'll se how it goes.

Anything with Bilstein, Koni, Ohlins, KW. I have the gixxer drew setup mentioned. So, I'd definitely support that idea.
I'll look into it since I've been hearing about the gixxer drew setup for a while. How do you like the ride quality compared to stock.
Old 08-01-10, 06:46 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

My stock dampers were ALL blown so it rides a hell of a lot better. The handling is outstanding which is really what I was really looking for. It will be guaranteed to ride better than tein flex since the rates are only 10.6k front and 5.81k rear compared to 14k front and 8k rear for the sc400 flex, and the bilstein dampers are superior.
Old 08-04-10, 07:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

My stock dampers were ALL blown so it rides a hell of a lot better. The handling is outstanding which is really what I was really looking for. It will be guaranteed to ride better than tein flex since the rates are only 10.6k front and 5.81k rear compared to 14k front and 8k rear for the sc400 flex, and the bilstein dampers are superior.
Do you use your setup for everday driving, drifting/racing, or another application?

Quick Reply: Is There A Way To Raise A Strut/Spring Setup On My SC?