Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

In the market for Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 07:47 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would buy just the front or the rear. You are going to create more understear/overstear that could lead you to some sticky situations and possibly loose control of the car. As far as I'm concerned, it is a package deal, you should get both, or none at all and leave them stock.

On that note, does anyone know the importance of replacing the sway bar end links at the same time as installing the TRD sway bars/busings? Our GS430 now has 100k, and the end links have not yet been replaced, but many other suspension parts have.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 07-24-10 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 06:46 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
...why anyone would buy just the front or the rear. You are going to create more understear/overstear...
Precisely. Depending on what enhancements the driver is attempting to experience the front and/or the rear sway replacement is exactly what may be needed to accomplish this. As a brief example SCCA rules state to be in the "Stock Class" you can only replace the front sway bar (not the rear bar).

On the other hand, some Lexus owners have dealt with collision issues to which just the front and/or the rear bar needed to be replaced.

Replacing the rear bar only is new to me, but we've sold well over 100 rear bars to the IS250/350 owners. That's quite a few considering the complete set is available for it.

Darrel
Old 07-27-10, 07:39 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
On that note, does anyone know the importance of replacing the sway bar end links at the same time as installing the TRD sway bars/busings? Our GS430 now has 100k, and the end links have not yet been replaced, but many other suspension parts have.
I've done a full-on front suspension refresh but the end links I left stock with 105k on my GS430. They were in perfect shape after 40k miles with my TRD sways installed.
Old 07-30-10, 04:52 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
I've done a full-on front suspension refresh but the end links I left stock with 105k on my GS430. They were in perfect shape after 40k miles with my TRD sways installed.
Good to know. I will be picking our GS430 up from the Lexus dealer later today after getting everything installed. They said the sway bar end links are in fine condition, however the caster arms are starting to show signs of wear. So, looks like I will be replacing them next.
Old 07-30-10, 03:14 PM
bigguppy
Instructor

If its a DD, why not just buy OEM bushing and be done with. If not do TRD. That is a good price as mention above.
Old 07-30-10, 05:03 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i installed front and rear what exaclty would it do
Old 07-30-10, 09:57 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLS
if i installed front and rear what exaclty would it do
Front and rear sway bars REALLY improve handling.

A difference is noticed instantly. I bought the TRD blue sway bars, and they are so worth the price. You would be able to handle freeway turns at 80 mph.

I also have a strut bar in the engine bay which also helps.
Old 07-31-10, 01:53 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

anyone have TRD front chassis brace + TRD sway bars installed ?

I wonder how much TRD chassis brace will help..
Old 07-31-10, 05:30 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Well, I just picked up my car from Lexus last night. The TRD sway bars are great. For normal day to day driving, you will not notice any difference as you are probably not driving fast enough to experience much body lean while turning, but they are a night and day difference on interstate on ramps/exits.

Just to clarify for those who are wondering, these sway bars do not make the car ride and stiffer or unpleasant by anymeans, but for intown driving, I see the point made earlier that there is no need for these sway bars as you are typically not driving fast enough to make a bit of difference.

In regards to the TRD chassis brace....I am curious about how big of a difference it would make over the stock chassis brace. Has anyone here installed one?