Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 07:51 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Never said it was impossible. Almost impossible, yes, especially with modern pads. However, I recall driving down I-5 through central California and seeing an idiot in an M3 convertible who obviously had his left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. His rotors were glowing just a little as we maintained a steady 90 mph and his brake lights were on solid the whole time. He surely might have glazed his pads.

A good friend worked in service at a Honda car dealership and told me about the Civics and Accords coming in for brake pads every 10k miles like clockwork. Their drivers were typically female and were completely unaware they were pressing gas and brake at the same time.

If you have any sense at all about how to use brakes, it's impossible to glaze them while street driving, even if you have a big hill to descend routinely.

Also - brake pads might be cheap or they might not. If you calipers were made by Brembo, the likelihood your pads are inexpensive is pretty small. Ask the F owners, the STi owners, and a host of others who've all been told it will be north of $150 per axle for pads. Don't even try to talk to Porsche or Mercedes owners about brake pad costs...
lol agreed
Just coming out of the Audi and getting to see reasonable pads, oil changes and wiper blades is a nice bonus to the Lex.
But even when they were expensive I bought what I could afford for practical gains over stock, knowing I was fine tuning the car to stop as quickly and accurately as possible in the widest set of conditions.

Keep it shiny side up!
V