Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 10:04 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and pads

ok i need new brakes and rotors and im planning on diy. what does everyone suggest aka what are the best pads and what are the best rotors i have an 07 is250
Old 07-25-10, 09:53 AM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can always up grade to a IS350 rotors calipers and pads. If you decide to let me know.
Old 07-25-10, 12:42 PM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

power slot rotors
Old 07-25-10, 01:00 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

what r the best pads?
Old 07-25-10, 01:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you track the car?

If not, just put centric blanks and the OEM low dust pads on.

Anything else will be a complete waste of money for no benefit whatsoever (or if you go non-blank, inferior pad life)
Old 07-25-10, 02:11 PM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

i do track my car. but sorry if im being stupid but centric blanks are what just the not drilled or slotted and what do you mean by non blank inferior pad life
Old 07-25-10, 03:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Willdb15
i do track my car. but sorry if im being stupid but centric blanks are what just the not drilled or slotted and what do you mean by non blank inferior pad life
Slotted rotors eat through pads faster than blank ones do (by roughly 25%). If you track the car this trade is probably worth it for the advantages of slots on the track... for folks that do not track their car the slots are useless so they're killing their pads faster for nothing, hence those folks should stick to blank rotors.

(drilled rotors also kill pads faster, but they're inferior in just about every way except cosmetically, so not really worth bringing up)
Old 07-29-10, 11:09 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Slotted rotors eat through pads faster than blank ones do (by roughly 25%). If you track the car this trade is probably worth it for the advantages of slots on the track... for folks that do not track their car the slots are useless so they're killing their pads faster for nothing, hence those folks should stick to blank rotors.

(drilled rotors also kill pads faster, but they're inferior in just about every way except cosmetically, so not really worth bringing up)
Damn, i do not track my car and i just bought the stoptech power slotted rotors, and am using OEM brake pads, i really hope it doesn't kill them too quick
Old 07-30-10, 06:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
Damn, i do not track my car and i just bought the stoptech power slotted rotors, and am using OEM brake pads, i really hope it doesn't kill them too quick
Numbers I've seen say about 25% faster wear on pads using drilled or slotted rotors compared to blanks
Old 07-30-10, 05:20 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
Kurtz makes good points, but pad wear is really not a thing I would worry about.
The fact that slotted rotors keep your pads de-glazed and immediately ready for action is just a step closer to braking nirvana. Don't panic because you have to spend an extra $30 (the 25% Kurtz speaks of) a year! Just do it and enjoy your setup, the Powerslots are nice respectable rotors.

Vince
Old 08-02-10, 01:16 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

im putting the og very dusty brake pads and some blank centrics. on my is350 at 50k miles
Old 08-02-10, 02:54 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Numbers I've seen say about 25% faster wear on pads using drilled or slotted rotors compared to blanks
Yeah man i have slotted rotors & track my car. Put new pads in in Late July last year did 3 track days & had to replace the pads this April wore down to the bitter end.
Old 08-03-10, 07:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
Kurtz makes good points, but pad wear is really not a thing I would worry about.
The fact that slotted rotors keep your pads de-glazed and immediately ready for action is just a step closer to braking nirvana. Don't panic because you have to spend an extra $30 (the 25% Kurtz speaks of) a year! Just do it and enjoy your setup, the Powerslots are nice respectable rotors.

Vince
Do you really think you'll glaze your pads on the street without pressing the brake and the gas at the same time for extended periods? Glaze comes from overheating. It's almost impossible to overheat your brakes with moderately sane street driving. Slots just eat pads faster for street drivers.
Old 08-04-10, 07:10 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Do you really think you'll glaze your pads on the street without pressing the brake and the gas at the same time for extended periods? Glaze comes from overheating. It's almost impossible to overheat your brakes with moderately sane street driving. Slots just eat pads faster for street drivers.
I'd like to agree with you because if your an in town driver I too would think it hard to get temps up there.
But if I understand your question, your asking "Can you glaze a pad on a daily driver?" correct?
I have no choice but to say yes, only because I have seen it.
Lots of reasons for its cause, like living in mountainous areas or riding bumpers in freeway traffic, but mostly from poor maintenance or driving skills. In 35+ years of doing my own brake work (as well as friends and family) I can certainly guarantee you it does happen, so I can only have one answer.

I'm too new here to stand solid on anything about the OEM side of Lexus, but in general most OEM pads are also low temp pads. They overheat quickly when compared to semi-performance aftermarkets. Walk the Rest Area coming off any major mountain pass and smell the pads! yeeha!
Another advantage slotted have is the ability to keep from embedding debris into the pad material, then grinding nice grooves around your rotors! Seen that many times in my life as well.
Water dispersion is another. I'm now living in a rain state where standing water on the roadway is common more than half the year. If my brakes firm up just one tire rotation sooner that is another yard shorter stopping distance.

I've simply come to realize pads are not only simple to replace, but inexpensive and designed to be completely expendable. I try to stay economical as best I can but I still feel that brakes are the most important system on your car, so worrying about simple pad wear over the advantage slotted give me is just not the way I roll.

Just my thoughts anyhow...
Old 08-05-10, 03:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Never said it was impossible. Almost impossible, yes, especially with modern pads. However, I recall driving down I-5 through central California and seeing an idiot in an M3 convertible who obviously had his left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. His rotors were glowing just a little as we maintained a steady 90 mph and his brake lights were on solid the whole time. He surely might have glazed his pads.

A good friend worked in service at a Honda car dealership and told me about the Civics and Accords coming in for brake pads every 10k miles like clockwork. Their drivers were typically female and were completely unaware they were pressing gas and brake at the same time.

If you have any sense at all about how to use brakes, it's impossible to glaze them while street driving, even if you have a big hill to descend routinely.

Also - brake pads might be cheap or they might not. If you calipers were made by Brembo, the likelihood your pads are inexpensive is pretty small. Ask the F owners, the STi owners, and a host of others who've all been told it will be north of $150 per axle for pads. Don't even try to talk to Porsche or Mercedes owners about brake pad costs...

Quick Reply: Rotors and pads