Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

megans vs stance coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 08:21 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen the sporadic leaks and blown coils from either company. More from some companies than others but lets face it.... those that run coilovers are a breed more likely to run them hard and beyond normal driving. I've seen shock rebound tests done on both and they look good.... nice and linear... all the same results basically.

But of course they're going to offer the best tests showing linear results instead of the sporadic compression reading... and even with that fact.... don't you want a sort of regressive curve?... the tire should rebound quickly to allow tire the ability to maintain traction. Think of it like a hard line over a bump or high speed cornering, when the wheel pops up, you don't want it to lift the car where it loses tire contact patch. Loss of traction = loss of times. Look at the tests done on Ohlins, you'll know what I'm talking about.

These coilovers recently all seem to all be twin chambered and say they feature advance valving technology... When I hold any of these products they all run the same small diameter and 95% similar visually. When compared to coilovers that I know are definitely made in Japan, German or Netherlands they seem small in comparison..... actually they are definitely VERY small compared to others.

So w/ all those facts I can't say I can definitively say one outperforms the other. They all do their job pretty well. They're not race quality setups but if you needed race quality you wouldn't be looking in that direction anyways. You wouldn't even want Japanese to be perfectly honest. They all deliver nice budget friendly recreational performance at a decent quality and probably a bargain considering the performance to cost ratio.

Most of these companies don't really do any real R&D or else you'd see them on real race cars competing in real races and then use their technology to produce consumer level coilovers. Truth is most companies now'a'days outsource to Taiwan. There are probably 10 different coilover manufacturers within a mile radius in Taiwan and most of them probably a stones throw from each other. Yeah maybe some companies may be better than others but I dont think anyone can definitively say A is better than B. I've heard Stance were made anywhere from Japan to Korea and then to Taiwan. I've heard they were outsourced to HSD in Korea. I've heard heard and heard. Nothing definitive. So until real results are posted, proven, and backed.... everything is hearsay.

Last edited by UptownGS; 06-28-11 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-28-11, 08:40 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMJNKY
x2..........

However My megans for the 03-07 Accord began leaking w/in a few months of ownership. My Function Form Type 2's on my civic have been going strong, and have been driven harder for the greater part of a year.

in for serious facts on Stance vs, Megan:
well thats what you get from these types of companies.... see the issue isn't the fact that they don't know how to produce a nice coilover.... its just opposite of that.... they know what it takes to build a nice coilover... however knowing the specs you want and actually activating those in manufacturing operations is 2 entirely different things. I'm sure if those guys at Megan or TougueFactory were building their coilover's inhouse here in the states they'd be top notch quality but they're probably spec'ing these things out in some country, probably Taiwan.

When you buy expensive top quality stuff you're not only buying performance but you're also buying their consistency in quality. I've found most of these new up and coming suspension companies to be lacking in consistency. Like Apple is quality even though its built in China... but the difference is they house their own factories in China under their own specifications through and through from factory procedures to R&D here in the states. So being made in China isn't the issue....

That being said..... I've seen Megans and even K2's that have performed well over inspired driving over time and I've seen even Zeals leak after short periods... thats not to say Megans are better than Zeals. Sometimes you just get a bad set but take a larger sample of Zeal customers vs Megans and you'll see its very rare to see unhappy Zeal customers, where as Megans might have very happy customers but have quite a few people hating on them as well.

I've gotten Megans before and they worked out great for me but I still wouldn't recommend it completely without a warning.
Old 06-29-11, 12:45 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if quality is the same, how can u beat megans silver and candy red color =P
Old 06-29-11, 01:31 PM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

im rolling Stance. i went with it for the stiffer spring rate. the shock body is a lil thicker than the megans..at least the ones i saw for the ISs. Stance goes really low too and so does Megans. actually, if i didnt go with Stance, i was gonna get the Megans.
Old 06-29-11, 03:37 PM
2jzaristo1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stance are built much better, shock bodies are multiple mm thicker, shock piston is thicker, and top collars and spanner collars are a million times thicker and stronger built vs megan. Stance are a million times better than jic as well because jic uses a dual shock body vs' stances mono tube which can handle massive abuse primarily great with heat distribution from oil and gas mixture in the shock while under heavy load such as drifting, which i must say stance coils slide the gs around like it aint no bodies business. Also like to mention iv rode all these coils in a gs and have a large amount of knowledge behind the statement. Hope it helps
Old 06-29-11, 04:05 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Anyone know the difference between Megan EZ Series vs. Megan Street coilovers?
Old 06-29-11, 05:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gapxguy
Anyone know the difference between Megan EZ Series vs. Megan Street coilovers?
Supposedly the EZ comes with softer springs standard, and has less clicks for damper adjustments (16 vs 32 ways).
Old 06-29-11, 05:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzaristo1
Stance are a million times better than jic as well because jic uses a dual shock body vs' stances mono tube which can handle massive abuse primarily great with heat distribution from oil and gas mixture in the shock while under heavy load such as drifting,
There is a lot more to coils than mono vs twin. A crappy designed monotube will perform worse than a twin-tube that's greatly engineered. Being monotube doesn't automatically mean it's better than any other twin tube. I certainly wouldn't put Stance over KW or Ohlin's twin-tube
Old 06-30-11, 10:15 AM
2jzaristo1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% agreed, but in comparison of the three, Stance> JIC...Megan. Due to the way they perform under stress and abuse esp at the track.