Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Where Is The Cheapest Place To Buy Megan Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 10:30 AM
speed6
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh, not correct, crazy hard is not the first thing about drifting, there needs to be suspension travel, and slamming is not good for drifting either. sure they have 36 levels of adjustment, but playing with them and going through tires yields good results. the thing is you need to have a good bound/rebound rates. a stiffer spring is good, since springs are what actually hold the car up. the rumor mill has it that they are produced in the same factory as apex(i)
Old 08-06-10, 11:16 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speed6
eh, not correct, crazy hard is not the first thing about drifting, there needs to be suspension travel, and slamming is not good for drifting either. sure they have 36 levels of adjustment, but playing with them and going through tires yields good results. the thing is you need to have a good bound/rebound rates. a stiffer spring is good, since springs are what actually hold the car up. the rumor mill has it that they are produced in the same factory as apex(i)
"eh" you're right suspension tech is much more important for drift than it is for grip. I guess you missed my sarcasm before, too. However, for most recreational "drifters" out there, being slammed on crazy stiff, crappy coilovers with no travel is the first thing.
Old 08-06-10, 11:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea. Every suspension needs some sort of control whether you're grip racing or drifting otherwise you can just weld on a stick and call it a day. But I highly doubt drifting requires the same intense tuning as grip racing like NASCAR or Formula 1.

Megan coils and some Apexi are built by BC (Bor-Chuan) which doesn't say much since both are low end by performance standards.
Old 08-09-10, 01:47 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been on Megans for 2+ years, potholes have not killed yet, and I am pushing a 1jz. Love the ride and adjustability. I have tried a number of high end coilovers out there and megans I would say aren't stance or HKS, but for the money they do a pretty damn good job. I have destroyed 2 expensive rims from pothole damage without blowing my megans. I can't say the same for my old Tiens or D's. But yes they are some better brands out there and there are worse ones too.
Old 08-09-10, 08:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I've been talking to a lot of the guys on Supra Forums with the Megans made for the Supra TT specifically, and they say those are way better than the ones made for the SC. They said the valving on the SC Megans was an issue, but the Megans for the Supra TT were really good.
Old 08-09-10, 09:11 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
I've been talking to a lot of the guys on Supra Forums with the Megans made for the Supra TT specifically, and they say those are way better than the ones made for the SC. They said the valving on the SC Megans was an issue, but the Megans for the Supra TT were really good.
Ummm, thats funny because they are the same stock number.

Megan Racing Coilovers Street Series Toyota 93-98 SUPRA/SC300 MR-CDK-LS3
Old 08-09-10, 09:19 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nate579
Ummm, thats funny because they are the same stock number.

Megan Racing Coilovers Street Series Toyota 93-98 SUPRA/SC300 MR-CDK-LS3
^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-09-10, 09:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I could never trust a company that uses the same coilover on two different applications. I smell cost cutting.

Funny thing, I was looking up on linear springs and Megan coilover springs were put on a dyno. What's suppose to be linear isn't so linear after all
Old 08-09-10, 09:41 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

I understand why, since the supra and SC are the same floor plan and suspension setup except for a number of tweaks. But check around you will find a number of coilover companies that use the same stock number for both cars. Even the big name companies. Makes perfect business sense to me. Other than spring rates, the shocks themselves shouldn't change. That's the first thing I learned when modding my car. Majority of parts that fits supras will fit the SC.
Old 08-09-10, 09:44 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
I could never trust a company that uses the same coilover on two different applications. I smell cost cutting.

Funny thing, I was looking up on linear springs and Megan coilover springs were put on a dyno. What's suppose to be linear isn't so linear after all
LOL, There you go.
Old 08-09-10, 10:21 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have over 100K on my tein flex & never blown. They survived 2 curbs @ 60mph, broke every wheel & car was totalled. Pay for quality & they will probably out last your car.
Old 08-10-10, 11:52 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We usually suggest the BCR coilovers over the Megans. Feel free to PM us if you want some help choosing a suspension
Old 08-10-10, 06:17 PM
BoostedSC3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thousands of miles on my megans here.. nice enough for wifey to drive, firm enough to own some back roads, and even adjustable enough to cut some 1.6x 60' times..

are they the best of the best? absolutely not. But they are absolutely awesome for the price and an all around fun car..

and no i'm not some kid who doesn't know better. I'm actually old enough to know good bang for my buck when i get it.
Old 08-10-10, 06:32 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

Despite what I said earlier, I ended up with a set of Megans temporarily since the guy that was going to give his Tein Flex coilovers basically dropped off the face of the earth. I didn't intend on getting Megans either as I had a couple of guys that were going to sell me a set of Supra TT Tein Flex or Super Street coilovers, but they all didn't respond when I attempted to contact them, none of them responded so a local guy gave me his set from his Supra. I'll probably buy another SC in a few months and stick the Megans on there and look into the BCR's or possibly Teins.
Old 08-10-10, 07:25 PM
gdoutlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much u get the megans for?

Quick Reply: Where Is The Cheapest Place To Buy Megan Coilovers