Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Worn Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 07:06 PM
kkohorst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn Front Rotors

At around 35k miles, my front rotors wore down so I had a 1/4 lip around the edge of my rotors. My pads were also worn down. Has anyone experienced this? My rear brakes were fine.

I don't track my car or drive hard. Any ideas?
Old 07-30-10, 10:03 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to Lexus, so I'm not the best source of info for you on what is "normal" for this car, but 35k is a little premature compared to what I have seen on other cars like my Audi or Mitsubishi's, but only by a little. I could easily attribute it to constant city traffic, riding your brakes, or if only one side is worn, your calipers may not be floating freely from dirt and such.
Regardless, its time to get new rotors and pads and if the latter is the problem the tech should spot it....

BOL
Vince
Old 07-31-10, 09:03 AM
tw88
Rookie

I wouldn't be surprised. My front pads were done at just 20k miles (vs my M3 which at 32k mi still has half of the pad life left). So assuming 1 rotor change for every 2 pad changes, you're just about there.
Old 07-31-10, 10:37 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tw88
I wouldn't be surprised. My front pads were done at just 20k miles (vs my M3 which at 32k mi still has half of the pad life left). So assuming 1 rotor change for every 2 pad changes, you're just about there.
Another reason I favor cryogenic treated rotors... you'll go through nothing but pads after that!

Vince
Old 07-31-10, 06:20 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

im at 40,600 and they told me that rotors and pads are worn out while i was getting an oil change. Too bad its gonna cost me an arm and leg to replace both the front ones.
Old 07-31-10, 08:54 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
im at 40,600 and they told me that rotors and pads are worn out while i was getting an oil change. Too bad its gonna cost me an arm and leg to replace both the front ones.
The costs can frustrate you, I know. Just don't pick brakes as the one area to cut corners....

I'm amazed at how many younger drivers will spend thousands on 20" chrome rims and other bling, but head straight to ebay for the cheapest rotors money can buy...

Vince
Old 08-01-10, 05:44 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CleverName
The costs can frustrate you, I know. Just don't pick brakes as the one area to cut corners....

I'm amazed at how many younger drivers will spend thousands on 20" chrome rims and other bling, but head straight to ebay for the cheapest rotors money can buy...

Vince
i know what u mean but the Lexus Service Shop will pretty much rob you. I thyink the guy told me around $600 for front rotors and brakes
Old 08-01-10, 10:05 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

i know what u mean but the Lexus Service Shop will pretty much rob you. I thyink the guy told me around $600 for front rotors and brakes
Understood,
And front rotors are really pretty simple to replace.
Fortunately because replacing them is so basic for any real mechanic, you don't need to rely on a stealership unless that is your personal preference. (There is very little a mechanic can do wrong with front rotors, especially when talking RWD cars.)

If your a DIYer, find a respectable set like PowerSlots or StopTechs (maybe just under $300ish), pair them with low cost Hawk HPS pads, and do it yourself. You will get 3 times the brake quality over OEM for the same or less, and it is an easy Saturday afternoon task.

Or just buy them and take it to a small local shop. They should should offer to install the set for about $150 (<1 hour normal, never more than 2 hours max)

BOL
Vince
Old 08-01-10, 11:21 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im at 68k and ive only replaced my pads once with plenty of meat left on my second pad...

u must really ride ur brake pedal when u drive.... meaning u brake and gas alot instead of coasting.

look in the vender section... jay is offering disks+pads for under $300. gl
Old 08-02-10, 01:08 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or you can just buy oem rotors and pads. longer pad life rather than slotted. unless you're tracking, then by all means go for slotted and high performance pads.

i'll let kurtz field the technical part of the "why".
Old 08-02-10, 09:58 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

so who does Jay work for???? Im just thinking about buying them and having them installed elsewhere. I wish i had the tools and a decent location to install them myself but i just dont live in a neighborhood like that plus ill need ramps.
Old 08-02-10, 10:03 AM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude its hella easy, you dont need a ramp although it would make it easier. its easy trust me, I did mine and I am not a mechanic by far.

jack up car
remove tire
remove pin
remove pads
c clamp for pistons
remove bolts for caliper
rotor slides off (hopefully)

done, but if its your first time itll take some time since youre in unfamiliar territory
Old 08-02-10, 12:21 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
dude its hella easy, you dont need a ramp although it would make it easier. its easy trust me, I did mine and I am not a mechanic by far.

jack up car
remove tire
remove pin
remove pads
c clamp for pistons
remove bolts for caliper
rotor slides off (hopefully)

done, but if its your first time itll take some time since youre in unfamiliar territory
since u said that i might just do it myself. I wish there was a video tutorial, im a visual learner
Old 08-04-10, 03:27 PM
hanson2713
Driver School Candidate

since u said that i might just do it myself. I wish there was a video tutorial, im a visual learner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LUHXmwV4Ek

more or less the same.