Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: COILOVERS FOR DRIFTING
STANCE GR+
37.50%
POWERED BY MAX
50.00%
MEGAN
0%
D2
0%
GET MY TIEN REBUILT
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Which coilovers for drifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 03:05 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbopwr
I have the PBMs and I feel theyre still too soft even on the stiffest setting. I can feel the bodyroll. Anyone else have this problem? I know im dumped but ive had coilovers on other cars that wouldnt dip and bounce at all. Im thinking about selling these for the stance GR+ since thats what I see most people drifting on.
Originally Posted by TownDust
I installed my PBM last month and I was also surprised by how soft they were... especially in contrast to everything you read about them being stiff as ****... but I think thats only in relation to 240s.
you gotta remember the SC was meant for luxury and not performance. i have pbms myself and i except the feel of them because i know our cars were never meant to be handling machines.... they feel nice on the highway though you two gotta admit that i cant feel even the biggest of turns.

i'd bet if you change all your bushings and made them solid with some short sway bars and our cars would handle quite nice.
Old 01-24-11, 12:10 PM
trdsc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about JIC coilovers, does nobody run them?
Old 01-24-11, 12:23 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by trdsc400
What about JIC coilovers, does nobody run them?
JIC are really expensive, but I rode in them once in the SC, and it feels better than stock. I don't think it would be a ideal coilovers for drifting.. PBM is good for drifting.
Old 01-24-11, 07:51 PM
TownDust
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iridebmx
you gotta remember the SC was meant for luxury and not performance. i have pbms myself and i except the feel of them because i know our cars were never meant to be handling machines.... they feel nice on the highway though you two gotta admit that i cant feel even the biggest of turns.

i'd bet if you change all your bushings and made them solid with some short sway bars and our cars would handle quite nice.
Yes I know this, and already came to a similar conclusion. Still was surprised by the softness. But was actually pleasantly surprised as I wasn't completely thrilled about going to super stiff coils for DD.
Old 01-24-11, 08:05 PM
trdsc400
Driver School Candidate

Im looking for road raceing coils. I dont want to go the cheap way out, so if JIC's are gonna take me faster into a corner then those are what I want. So why are PMBs good for drifting but not JICs. Are the JICs worth the money?????
Old 01-24-11, 09:40 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok drift and road race are two different things.

drifting, you want super stiff no give suspension so you can transfer all the weight to slide.

road racing, your all about traction, so body roll is actually better than no body roll to some extent.

i dont want to think hard about it, but thats it basically! the jic's are more responsive while turning, where as the pbms would most likely slide out because their only purpose is to be stiff and the actually strut rebound on the pbms i know are not as good as the top brands.

kinda hard to explain for me, this probably makes no sense.

Last edited by iridebmx; 01-24-11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 07:40 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Might as well go with KW coils, if you really looking forward to getting JIC. JIC has lots of blown coil stories so I tend to stay out of JIC.
Old 01-25-11, 07:47 AM
trdsc400
Driver School Candidate

Where do I find the KW coils at? And are they better than the JICs???