Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

STANCE coilovers w/ help springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 02:15 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question STANCE coilovers w/ help springs?

Hi,

does any1 have any feedback on STANCE coilovers w/ Helper Springs installed?

Noticed it will not drop as low.. but we all know STANCE is rediculous low... so wanted to see what i am actually compromising.

If not much.. cuz i only plan to tuck cuz the car is a DD.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-10, 08:41 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
Hi,

does any1 have any feedback on STANCE coilovers w/ Helper Springs installed?

Noticed it will not drop as low.. but we all know STANCE is rediculous low... so wanted to see what i am actually compromising.

If not much.. cuz i only plan to tuck cuz the car is a DD.

Thanks!
Not sure about this because I don't know if they even make a Helper spring version of the (JZS161). I have been questioning a few people her at CL about the highest point the Stances can lift to. This would help for me as well.

Here is the problem I'm experiencing. The Stance shock body appears to be too short which leaves less then 2 inches of thread in the shock cartridge and the car is still tucked. The Stance manual calls for 1 1/2 -2inches of thread in the cartridge which means the car is raised at its highest point.
A Stance manager said you can leave 1 inch into the cartridge for safety but the manual warn that they are not responsible for failure if u do so. I told spyder to tell them to send me this in writing.

The only thing left is to compress the preload which we are not suppose to do. We (me and Spyder) have been back and for with Stance which say they have never heard of this problem before. Others here say they can raise the Stances back up to stock height which is trippin me out. We asked if Stance makes two different version of these which are for people who want an extreme drop but they said no. The funny thing is we order a JZS161 but on the box it says JZS160. Stance said they are the same thing. Spyder then took the coilover spring apart and measured the front and rear springs. The front is supposed to be 175MM and the rear 200MM. Guess what, both front and rear are 200mm . So guess what this means, if Stance would have sent the right spring I wouldn't be able to turn the wheel without taking out the fender or compressing the preload! And to make it worst they are supposedly back ordered until the end of August.

O one more, i have RCA which I want to install which drop the car an inch more. How is this possible if I have no thread body to do so...... This is crazy.
I took them off and I'm waiting for some resolution.

The only fix I can think about is either a long shock body, a longer shock cartridge, or a longer spring/ (helper spring).

On a positive note the build of the coils are beautiful. The dampening works really well (which is the reason why I bought them). I really don't want to send them back but we are a bit confused as to what the heck is going on with them.

Thanks everyone who hit me back already. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by nar8ta; 08-05-10 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 09:26 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Default Check this out....Its sound sort of familiar

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/sho...t=24056&page=3

Taken from a miata site:

I'll add my experience with my Stance coilovers over the past 3 years.

First off, I got my set when they came with the raised mounts for the front and back. When we first installed these on my car the front had the tires tucked in the fender at it's HIGHEST setting (with no spring preload). They eventually switched to a flat upper mount for the front and that put the ride height in a normal range. However I have no idea how a company making the actual coilover setup would release it to market and not know that the fronts were way too short.

As for the rears, I still have issues with the ride height. With the raised upper mount, the rear has no gap between the tire and the fender (again with nospring preload) On top of that, the spring length that they use in the back is TOO SHORT for the amount of stroke they have with the raised upper mount. When the spring/shock compresses all the way the spring actually compresses fully and binds. After disassembling the setup, I can see that the coils on the spring have damage from this. So with their raised mounts, you arent even using the full stroke of the shock because the spring wont let you.

That being said, Ive changed the front and rear springs out for Swift springs and the setup works rather well. The shocks have been durable as I have put on over 30K miles over the past 3 years and their dampening is still good. The upper mounts show some corrosion ( I live in the North East) but no play in the bearings.

So my conclusion with Stance is this: If you want to slam your car to the ground, then they are good. If you want to daily drive your car and need some sort of ground clearance/stroke to actually handle bumps in the road: they arent the best.

I think that if Stance actually did a bit more development on these, they could be a very good setup for the price.
Old 08-06-10, 08:48 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks. i did not go with it.
Old 08-06-10, 10:32 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by istundra
thanks. i did not go with it.
I still think they make a great product, but something is screwy on my order. Others who have stances here on CL say they can lift the car back to stock height. Whats strange is that this set was the last set in the last batch which someone ordered and at the last minute canceled the order....(stated by Stance). I don't know bro, definitely a strange situation. This can be easily remedied by lengthening this by two inches.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Update:

After measuring the top hat to the shock body, we were told by stance that they indeed shipped the wrong shock body. They stated that they would send us four replacements with a return shipping label. I'll keep yall posted how this turns out.

Last edited by nar8ta; 08-09-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 07:25 PM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nar8ta
I still think they make a great product, but something is screwy on my order. Others who have stances here on CL say they can lift the car back to stock height. Whats strange is that this set was the last set in the last batch which someone ordered and at the last minute canceled the order....(stated by Stance). I don't know bro, definitely a strange situation. This can be easily remedied by lengthening this by two inches.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Update:

After measuring the top hat to the shock body, we were told by stance that they indeed shipped the wrong shock body. They stated that they would send us four replacements with a return shipping label. I'll keep yall posted how this turns out.
Any update on this? I'm deciding between Stance and BC coilovers.
Old 08-18-10, 07:53 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by AristoPra
Any update on this? I'm deciding between Stance and BC coilovers.
Long story bro...we have been back and forth on the phone with stance. I will give an update by the weekend.
Old 08-19-10, 10:22 PM
lunatyk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nar8ta

[IMG][/IMG]

Update:

I have this same problem with the Stance I just purchased.. I found it weird that the highest setting was DUMPED..
Old 08-20-10, 01:33 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by lunatyk
I have this same problem with the Stance I just purchased.. I found it weird that the highest setting was DUMPED..
Bro are you serious do me a favor take a picture and post it.....Stance is messing up big time and they keep making excuses.

Something is wrong with there new batch of coilovers, but they say this is the right length for the car. to many contradictions here.

PM my your number, if they don't resolve this we have to take thing further. i've been really good with not bashing Stance as a company but I don't know how long I can hold my anger back.
Old 08-22-10, 03:52 PM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Oh man, I'll most likely just go with BC's with custom set-up: stiffer springs and with springs that hopefully can go as low as stance.... i've subscribed to this so i'll keep my eye out.... THANKS!!!!!!!!

good luck and hopefully you guys will get your issues resolved shortly....
Old 08-24-10, 07:51 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Update:

This statement was retracted by Stance after talking with the owner LOL. I forgot, companies never make mistakes . "I have never had this type of problem before and we do hundreds of applications"

We are waiting on Stances final word but after this past weekend install and de-install, I would encourage each and everyone who buys new coils from Stance to take them out the box and look at them very very carefully.

The disclaimer in the manual states to make sure you leave no less than 1 1/2 inches in the cup for strut type and 2 inches in the cup for shock type and they are not responsible for failure due to improper installation. We were then told by Stance to forget about this and leave 1 inch in the cup which made me nervous do to what is stated in the manual. 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches in the cup and the car is dumped. We have it in writing directing us to do this.

We did as they stated and preloaded the spring which brought the car up a bit more but we noticed the car was lower on the passenger side. We also noticed the compression rate was different as well when pushing down on either side. We then de-installed the coils and noticed that the passenger side spring was thinner than the driver’s side. They actually look like the rear springs. So in layman's terms not only is the the cartridge an inch too short but they mixed up 14K and 10K on the front two struts.

Here is the Email which was sent to Stance:

David,

I have pretty much gotten to the bottom of one of the problems, I
talked to Scott about it. Here are the pics and the measurements as
requested,

Space between the coils on the front struts:
Strut 1: .5 CM
Strut 2: .75 CM

Diameter of Front Springs:
Strut 1: 1.5 CM
Strut 2: 1.35 CM

Find attached pics of JIC coils fully extended is .5 in difference.
Highest point with the Stance on the side with the right spring yields
only 1 finger gap from top of tire to the fender. This is with 1inch
in the cup as pictured. The side with the other spring highest point
is 0 gap tire and fender flush. No matter how much I preload each
spring, the highest height is what I stated.

Again please check your Stance coilovers, their manufacturing section of their company needs some improvement. Don't get caught into the build structure (they are built quite sturdy LOL), take them apart and check the shock cartridge length, check the springs carefully.

I'll post pictures later and hopefully Stance tucks their tail and make good of this obvious error.

Last edited by nar8ta; 08-24-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-24-10, 10:19 AM
AristoPra
Lead Lap

Man, I hope the owner will help you guys resolve the issue specially since a lot of our fellow Lexus owners are looking into buying these coilovers... Anyhow, I went with BC "extreme drop" kit with 14k / 10k spring rates and saved me a couple hundred $$$$$$....
Old 08-24-10, 11:21 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Damn. I thought Stance was the shiz too. Maybe not this time around. BC be taking over!
Old 08-24-10, 11:31 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by AristoPra
Man, I hope the owner will help you guys resolve the issue specially since a lot of our fellow Lexus owners are looking into buying these coilovers... Anyhow, I went with BC "extreme drop" kit with 14k / 10k spring rates and saved me a couple hundred $$$$$$....
Congrades on your purchase bro. If Stance doesn't deal with this right I will be looking for a complete refund and will go BC as well.
Old 08-24-10, 11:35 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Damn. I thought Stance was the shiz too. Maybe not this time around. BC be taking over!
Many people on CL told me the same thing........

Quick Reply: STANCE coilovers w/ help springs?