Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake creak when rolling at slow speeds - please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10 | 08:50 AM
Ldogg123
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake creak when rolling at slow speeds - please help

I recently purchased a 2007 IS 250 with about 36,000 miles on it. The dealership but new brake pads on it prior to my purchase.

My first day stuck in traffic i noticed an obnoxious creaking sound coming from the front left brake. When stopped , if i lightly let off of the brake peddle allowing the car to move forward, a stuttering creaking sound/vibration comes from what i believe to be the front left brake.

I have since had new rotors and pads installed but the problem has persisted. The last attempt the shop made was to grease the pins per a suggestion that i read on another forum. This has not helped the problem.

The problem is greatly exacerbated when the brakes are under load while creeping forward on a downhill.

Any suggestions? I have hesitated taking it to the dealership but may be forced to do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love my first Lexus but i am very frustrated with this sound.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-07-10 | 09:34 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

I noticed it makes that sound when you can't make up your mind about stopping or going.

I do have a little creaking from the steering column also when I brake and turn the steering wheel when it is almost stopped, I am assuming the pads backing making a bit of noise.
Old 08-07-10 | 10:10 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

i have that sound when coming outta my garage, the dealership said i needed new rear rotors, but since you have new ones im not sure
go back and ask them why?
Old 08-08-10 | 06:47 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

If it only happens when the car is barely moving, then this is fairly common with disk brakes. Every car I've ever had did this to some extent (but only when the car was barely moving from a start or to a stop).
Old 08-08-10 | 08:15 PM
JoeCombs
Pole Position

i get a bad squeak when i back out of a inclined driveway, but thats it. take it back to the dealership
Old 08-08-10 | 08:19 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

i get that same squeaking sound during the same situations, slowly stopping. it bugs the hell out of me! i was hoping it would stop after i changed my brake pads but i dont even know. Im trying not to let it get to me lol
Old 08-08-10 | 08:33 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Since a car is made of mechanical components where metal will rub against metal, plastic against plastic, etc etc I wouldn't stress over some minor creak and groan. Specially since you are basically riding your break and your car is slowly inching forward while you your brakes are grinding on the disks and so forth.
Old 08-09-10 | 07:59 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

I have had the brakes creaking particularly at slow speeds when turning and braking (such as turning into driveway or parking space). At first I wasn't sure if it was the brakes or front end. I have 20K miles on my 08 250 and have brought in the car a couple times for this since 12K. First they replaced the front pads and rotors but it never went away. When I brought it back they opened a problem ticket and I have never heard from them. I think they avoid me since I have brought it in 3 times for the engine vibration at idle in D and the vibration persists after the top engine cleaning.
Old 08-09-10 | 08:29 PM
Synetix250
Driver

a lot of people on this forum and a couple mechanics have said the brake squeak at low speeds like entering driveways, backing up, pulling into spaces, etc. might be common unfortunately. i have this squeak during all the events listed earlier. getting new rotors, existing rotors machined and smoothed, getting new pads (ceramic or non-ceramic), etc. have all helped on in inconsistent basis. try not to let it get to you..
Old 08-09-10 | 09:52 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JoeCombs
i get a bad squeak when i back out of a inclined driveway, but thats it. take it back to the dealership
Same for me, I'm backing out of my driveway and hear it. My girl think there's something wrong with my car as her didn't make the sound - she the same car, but 09 model.

Usually I don't mind when I drive by myself since I blast the music, but when I drive other people, you can definitely hear it and people always think something's wrong with your car.
Old 08-09-10 | 10:29 PM
racerboi07
Rookie

mine pops/knocks when i turn slow. =\ i dont know what it is.. i heard it has something to do with the brakes..
Old 08-10-10 | 08:46 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

I hate when Lexus tells you that something is normal when it clearly is not. The creaking and popping sound on slow turns while braking is very noticeable and the dealer did first try to fix it. I had a '10 loaner that did not make the sound. Passengers have commented on it and sometimes in parking lots people turn and look when I am pulling into a spot- they don't seem to expect a newer Lexus making such a wierd and unpleasant sound.
Old 08-10-10 | 06:16 PM
richfire
Driver School Candidate

I have this same issue and it's down right embarassing. I've taken the car to the dealer multiple times and still no resolution. The last time I took it, they performed a TSIB for brake squeek which I thought was going to solve the problem. I think my next course of action will be to give the dealership one more shot If they can't resolve it, I may have to involve the regional Lexus rep for a resolution.
Old 08-11-10 | 12:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Guess what? It's perfectly normal for the high dust pads to do this. Lexus isn't lying.
Old 08-11-10 | 03:08 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Not sure if I would describe this as normal. They have put in the low dust pads and the noise has been worse. I had an '06 BMW with major brake dust and never heard a peep like this one.

Quick Reply: Brake creak when rolling at slow speeds - please help