Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

JIC FLT-RS Coilover VS HKS hipermax III

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 01:11 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JIC FLT-RS Coilover VS HKS hipermax III

The JIC FlT-RS:
http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct...06&CarMakeID=4

Hipermax III CLX:
http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=3447

Judging from the specs, which one looks better? I am very sorry i am not a tech guy so i don't know whats the advantages of each designs and such...

What you guys think?

Last edited by someboy; 08-09-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 01:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Well first of all, what is your goal? Not all coilovers serve the same purpose.
Old 08-09-10, 02:18 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

I want good comfort when i want it and superb performance when i need it.
Old 08-09-10, 02:25 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would go a step farther and ask what he's trying to achieve. if all he's looking for is that perfect ride height, there are less expensive offerings that do just that. spending ~$2k on a set of coilovers when all he's going to be doing with coilovers is setting the ride height and never touching it again is imo a gigantic waste of money.

on the other hand, if he's actually going to track the car and/or make full use of a coilovers' adjustability (i.e. preload, custom spring rates, adjustable ride height, dampening), it makes sense to spend that much.

and if the OP has ZERO idea of what those above key words mean... better just stick w/ f-sport springs and shocks.
Old 08-09-10, 02:39 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comfort and lowering with handling when needed sounds like kw v3s only. My opinion.
Old 08-09-10, 02:53 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Okay can you guys please explain to me just from reading the specifications, what is the main purpose of the HKS and what is the main purpose for the JIC? like what are each coilovers specifically targets? comfort, performance,height adjustment, flexibility? Maybe that will give me a better idea!

thank you guys in advance !
Old 08-09-10, 03:33 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

they both serve the same purpose: adjustable ride height, preload, and dampening, catering to each specific make/model's

don't be fooled by each respective company's marketing speak. just because one has a laundry list of features doesn't mean that it is THAT much better than the next offering (assuming that one offering is better another in theory/on paper). read too much into the product's marketing speak, and you'll never be able to make heads or tails of what you want/need.

also, don't just look at the brand and make the assumption that it's exactly what you need. you might want it, but it might be overkill for you at the end of the day, and you would have not gotten the most out of your money.
Old 08-09-10, 03:36 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

btw, shouldn't this be in the suspension subsection? can the mods please relocate this thread?
Old 08-09-10, 07:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by someboy
Okay can you guys please explain to me just from reading the specifications, what is the main purpose of the HKS and what is the main purpose for the JIC? like what are each coilovers specifically targets? comfort, performance,height adjustment, flexibility? Maybe that will give me a better idea!

thank you guys in advance !

Judging from the spring rate on the HKS alone, it seems like they are geared more towards total comfort. You won't be tracking with these coils. Not enough information on the JIC to conclude anything really, even though JIC claim these are made for track enthusiasts.

How much do you want to lower your car? What is your budget? Are you looking for stock ride quality or something stiffer?
Old 08-09-10, 07:41 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

From the specs of the coilovers, JIC FLT RS has independent compression and rebound adjustments. I don't believe they're available. If they are, I'm quite certain they'll be more than $2k.

HKS Hipermax III CLX, on the other hand, is equivalent to JIC FLT TAR version except they are equipped with much conservative spring rates.

They are both decent quality coilovers. However, for that kind of price tags, I'd rather get KW V3. The reason being JIC is more than likely to be unavailable and with HKS, you'll find those extremely soft that it takes the fun out of driving.

KW will offer comfort and control. I suggest you take KW into consideration also. Good luck.

Terrance
Old 08-10-10, 11:54 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the money you would spend on either of those coilovers you would be much better off with a set of the KW Variant 3s.

They will offer the best in drivability and performance for your IS, IMO.

Feel free to PM us if you have any questions or want us to help you get/decide o a suspension.
Old 08-10-10, 01:01 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

So what are the advantages of KW V3 over those coilovers? also, how about BC racing coilovers?
Old 08-10-10, 01:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

KW likes to use progressive springs on their coilovers (save for the Clubsport). It's just a nicer daily driver, but may or may not be as soft as the HKS. However the KW does have a good amount of adjustments that you can use to fine tune compression and rebound separately.
Old 08-10-10, 02:25 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

for a weekend racer or the most discerning autophile, most of the upper-echelon offerings qualify.

however, for the less discerning, or those who are more concerned with the perfect ride height than with performance/function, any of the entry level offerings will suffice.
Old 08-11-10, 12:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
for a weekend racer or the most discerning autophile, most of the upper-echelon offerings qualify.

however, for the less discerning, or those who are more concerned with the perfect ride height than with performance/function, any of the entry level offerings will suffice.
None of the items discussed in this thread are upper echelon. The KW v3s would be best of this bunch but still a long way from a truly track effective setup. See the IS-F thread for details on the KWs designed for track use. Upper echelon are Penske, Ohlins, Moton, etc. and they cost 4x what the JICs, Tein, HKS, BC Racing, and other street focused brands cost. They'll also require a lot of tuning and adjustment, but when they deliver, it's spectacular.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-11-10 at 12:58 AM.

Quick Reply: JIC FLT-RS Coilover VS HKS hipermax III