Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Issue with Vogtland springs and KYB G2's

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 10:42 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
I dont see why you would have a problem running the G2s up front and the kyb agx in the rear cause you could adjust the agx to be close in dampening to the G2's
its not the shocks that are the problem according the to the first post. its simply the tophat. thats whats making this confusing
Old 08-12-10, 11:44 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont understand how it could possobly be the top hat. I had vogtlands on my car with supra tokicos and Sc400 top hats and there was no issue at all

Post up a good pic and we'll get this problems solved
Old 08-12-10, 04:30 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics being uploaded after phone syncs. I have a feeling I miss spoke and it wasnt the top hat.

edit:Phone is having troubles..damn iphone. I will bump thread with pics asap. FYI...I think I just found out it isnt the top hat thats the issue..its the rubber thing lol the rubber piece is to big for the coil to go over and sit properly. brb with pics.

Last edited by ashtray; 08-12-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 05:37 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

So the issue is that the Vogtland spring in comparison to this stock spring is that the Vogtland is not wide enough to let the rubber fit through it as you see here. In other words, it is basically narrower. Hope pic helps.

Last edited by ashtray; 08-12-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 06:11 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Hmmm... I guess that must be a Vogtland product issue. There are plenty of us here running Supra springs with no issues. I guess you could just cut up the rubber piece so it fits correctly...
Old 08-12-10, 06:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised since Vogtland isn't all that great to begin with.
Old 08-12-10, 08:39 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

It looks fine to me. Maybe there's a spring spacer in there or some aftermarket bellow? It looks kinda thick IMO.
Old 08-12-10, 09:38 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im gonna have to look at my rear suspension tomorrow. Now I dont remember what mine looks like, but that looks correct
Old 08-13-10, 05:53 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ashtray
This looks exactly as it should. I am guessing this is a picture of your stock set up?

Thats really odd I never ran into that problem with my Vogtlands. Must be something to do with that bellows you have in the rear. How much doesnt it fit? I know the bellows is built into the spring isolator on factory units and a lot of people think that part of the top hat but they aren't. You can pull the bellows and isolator off and then cut the isolator off the bellows and buy and after market bellows at your local part store for $15.

That is what I did recently because the factory bellows/isolator unit are now special order and like $55 a piece
Old 08-13-10, 05:25 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by romycha1
Hmmm... I guess that must be a Vogtland product issue. There are plenty of us here running Supra springs with no issues. I guess you could just cut up the rubber piece so it fits correctly...
Im thinking of doing just that, cutting the rubber piece. I am affraid it may have a negative side effect.

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wouldn't be surprised since Vogtland isn't all that great to begin with.
Why do you say this?

Originally Posted by blisiono
It looks fine to me. Maybe there's a spring spacer in there or some aftermarket bellow? It looks kinda thick IMO.
Thats the stock spring though. lol thats how I want the Vogtlands to look, fine.

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Im gonna have to look at my rear suspension tomorrow. Now I dont remember what mine looks like, but that looks correct
Those are the stock springs though.

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
This looks exactly as it should. I am guessing this is a picture of your stock set up?

Thats really odd I never ran into that problem with my Vogtlands. Must be something to do with that bellows you have in the rear. How much doesnt it fit? I know the bellows is built into the spring isolator on factory units and a lot of people think that part of the top hat but they aren't. You can pull the bellows and isolator off and then cut the isolator off the bellows and buy and after market bellows at your local part store for $15.

That is what I did recently because the factory bellows/isolator unit are now special order and like $55 a piece
Yes correct it is the stock set up. Its to show the piece of rubber thats too big for the Vogtlands. I guess I'll look into smaller bellows. Is it going to affect anything changing out the bellows?
Old 08-13-10, 05:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Why do you say this?
I only say that because they are some of the least consistent springs I've seen. On spring dynos, their linear springs acted progressive.. Some people (not particularly SC/Supra owners) experience the spring length decreasing once they remeasured it off the car. They are good enough that they are featured in TC Kline coilovers, but somehow are kind of shaky in consistency. The reviews you find are either really good or really bad. I do applaud them for using something other than the typical chrome silicon. Their springs give you more suspension travel before the coils bind since they generally have less coil than their competitors. When I was researching for a replacement spring for my coilovers, I looked heavily into Vogtland but in the end, I went elsewhere
Old 08-13-10, 07:26 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Im thinking of doing just that, cutting the rubber piece. I am affraid it may have a negative side effect.

Why do you say this?

Thats the stock spring though. lol thats how I want the Vogtlands to look, fine.

Those are the stock springs though.

Yes correct it is the stock set up. Its to show the piece of rubber thats too big for the Vogtlands. I guess I'll look into smaller bellows. Is it going to affect anything changing out the bellows?
As long as you keep those top isolators by cutting them off the bellows you will be fine
Old 10-20-10, 05:24 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Well I'm about to purchase some Supra MKIV shocks from a member on here, so I'll be able to finally throw these Vogtlandsonto the car. I'll take photos once everything is done.
Old 10-20-10, 09:51 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

A question: On the Vogtland box's label, it says the following: Toyota Supra T, JAZ 90
Will they work with NA supra shocks??? I am so confused on suspension right now. Especially since on the SF's, everyone is saying there is no such thing a JAZ 90...but thats what the label says...FML.

edit: another phuking $#!T thing...on Vogtlands website..all the photos of the springs they carry, show the exact same springs. They dont show the actual product, just one set of springs for every car. AND! they dont carry NA springs which is killing me because the seller on SF said IIRC, that they were for NA.

Last edited by ashtray; 10-20-10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-21-10, 08:22 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

I thought the issue was with the rubber piece of the tophat? Buying MK4 shocks won't solve your problem unless they are selling you the whole assembly including the tophats.

Quick Reply: Issue with Vogtland springs and KYB G2's