Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 09:13 PM
Toddyzfr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover

I have a 1992 SC400 that I bought from a guy. He hadn't driven it for over a year. I'm doing a lot of work to it but one thing I did due to the terrible tires and corroding wheels is buy some XXR 521's 18x8.5. Get this. MY CAR LOOKS LOWERED. There’s about a 3/4 gap on both the front and rear. I haven't changed the springs or shocks. And I really don't believe the previous guy did either. I really think the springs are bad. Only time will tell as I have to break down the car. But my tires are scraping in the front when I go over bumps or dips in the road and its getting progressively worse. I want to solve the problem at the same time we're in a recession so I'm looking for...not necessarily the "cheapest" fix, but something within reason. I don't want to go get coilovers just because. Not only that I have a ton more to do over the next month with the car. Paint, brakes & rotors, interior, etc.

What will coilovers give me that a new lowering spring and new shock combo won’t or vice versa? Has anyone else had the rubbing problem? Will my ride significantly suffer? As I read old posts, I see a lot of people saying just get coilovers but not saying why. I'm interested in what everyone thinks. What would one do different in the cases of one having coilovers and someone having a good spring/shock combo? Lastly, whatever it is that you suggest I or anyone else does, what brand & model is it? Thank you all for your time.
Old 08-11-10, 11:05 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Coilovers provide height adjustability whereas springs and shocks do not. You will pay significantly more for coilovers though. What I recommend, because it seems like you don't want to spend all that much money, is search the suspension forum and try to find a spring that gives a drop that you like. Then match that with a set of nice shocks, and you will spend a fraction of what you would on a set of coilovers.
Old 08-11-10, 11:11 PM
NineTreSc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
Coilovers provide height adjustability whereas springs and shocks do not. You will pay significantly more for coilovers though. What I recommend, because it seems like you don't want to spend all that much money, is search the suspension forum and try to find a spring that gives a drop that you like. Then match that with a set of nice shocks, and you will spend a fraction of what you would on a set of coilovers.
This is exactly right.

Everyone says get coilovers because they give a ride that spring and struts will never give. it is much more a track feel but some coilovers are still very comfortable as a spring combo would be. I have some new supra tanabe gf210 lowering springs with a 2 inch drop and rear supra KYB gas a just shocks to go with for a good deal. Let me know and good luck.
Old 08-11-10, 11:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's only worth it to spend more on coilovers if you like the ability to adjust ride height. If you find a set of springs that lowers the car the perfect amount, then just pair it up with a decent set of shocks and you'll be far better off than cheap coilovers.

Don't listen to those who say to get coilovers without regards to your criteria. They're mostly coilover snobs.
Old 08-11-10, 11:27 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

lol @ coilover snobs
Old 08-12-10, 01:15 AM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you just want to lower the car a bit but on a budget. Might I recommend getting MKIV Supra suspension, more specifically OEM Supra struts and Supra Eibach springs. You will lower the car 2" all around from stock height, bolt right onto the SC with no problems whatsoever, and more importantly this suspension only costs no more than 170 shipped if you go get them from supraforums.com. Just MIO on the matter. And for good measure here is a pic of my car with the Supra suspension setup I'm talking about.

Old 08-12-10, 01:26 AM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car looked "lowered" on my stock springs. Probably a combination of sagging springs and worn out Control Arm bushings.
Old 08-12-10, 07:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Smile

I agree with P.R.S.22. If you want a cheap setup, look for a Supra TT strut and spring setup as they go for pretty cheap on here and Supra Forums. I just bought a set of OEM Supra TT struts and Falken springs and it slammed my SC. Do NOT go with the Falken springs unless your roads are good and you roll your front fenders. The Eibach springs will give a nice, balanced drop. If you want coilovers, I would go with a used set of Megans or Teins as they can be bought for $800 or less shipped. I just bought a set of Megans and sold my Supra TT spring/strut setup to another member on here. Here is a pic of my Supra TT suspension:
Attached Thumbnails Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover-100_1549.jpg   Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover-100_1562.jpg   Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover-100_1566.jpg  
Old 08-12-10, 10:15 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about factory TT spring will they mount on the SC strut and mount?
I know the front will how about the rear?
Old 08-12-10, 10:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You'll need supra rear shocks to properly mount the supra springs.
Old 08-12-10, 10:51 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Comparing shocks/springs to coilovers is like comparing an LS7 to a 13b, 2 completely different animals.

To clarify before it gets out of hand, if you want Supra springs, you must have the Supra shocks to go with them, and you need to factor in the extra .5'' drop due to different placement of the spring perch itself.

Now as for coilovers, I dont have much experience with them on an SC, but from what I have researched and been told, I am seriously considering ditching my beloved KYB AGX/Eibach TT setup soon.

Bottom line is, what are your goals with the car? DD, weekend cruiser, track car, garage queen, or a combination of the above..What wheels/fitment are you going to aim for later, what kind of ride quality do you want, and how much of a drop do you want, and do you want to be able to adjust it later?
Old 08-12-10, 11:11 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are there stock springs on the car? Stock springs don't really "wear out". Shocks do though.

If you're on a budget you're limited by that budget on what you can do, so choose wisely. A lot of guys will try and save money to begin with and end up spending more in the long run to get it right.
Old 08-12-10, 11:37 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Comparing shocks/springs to coilovers is like comparing an LS7 to a 13b, 2 completely different animals.

To clarify before it gets out of hand, if you want Supra springs, you must have the Supra shocks to go with them, and you need to factor in the extra .5'' drop due to different placement of the spring perch itself.

Now as for coilovers, I dont have much experience with them on an SC, but from what I have researched and been told, I am seriously considering ditching my beloved KYB AGX/Eibach TT setup soon.

Bottom line is, what are your goals with the car? DD, weekend cruiser, track car, garage queen, or a combination of the above..What wheels/fitment are you going to aim for later, what kind of ride quality do you want, and how much of a drop do you want, and do you want to be able to adjust it later?
How is the ride quality on your setup? Sorry that I forgot to PM you back on the spring trade. I had deleted my PM's before I looked at the last one you sent me.

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Are there stock springs on the car? Stock springs don't really "wear out". Shocks do though.

If you're on a budget you're limited by that budget on what you can do, so choose wisely. A lot of guys will try and save money to begin with and end up spending more in the long run to get it right.
I agree with CircuitMS. I originally bought a Supra TT setup but it slammed my car so now I have coilovers. I wanted to ask you, how is the ride quality on the BC coilovers compared to the average shock and spring setup? I recall you mentioning them in my coilover thread. I'll be getting another set of coilovers once I get another SC.
Old 08-12-10, 11:57 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
How is the ride quality on your setup? Sorry that I forgot to PM you back on the spring trade. I had deleted my PM's before I looked at the last one you sent me.
I absolutely love it. Its so comfortable, yet so responsive when needed, Im still very weary of going to coilovers. Plus the AGX shocks make a world of difference when I want a very nice, firm, solid ride.
Old 08-12-10, 12:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I absolutely love it. Its so comfortable, yet so responsive when needed, Im still very weary of going to coilovers. Plus the AGX shocks make a world of difference when I want a very nice, firm, solid ride.
I was originally looking for a setup like that since I heard good things about it, but the ones for sale cost just as much as lower end coilovers. I've heard coilovers have horrible ride quality compared to a nice shock and spring combo setup? Do you ever have any trouble going over potholes or driveways?

Quick Reply: Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover