Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP...My vehicle pulls to right.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 11:26 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP...My vehicle pulls to right.

I have a 2009 IS350 with 20k miles. My vehicle pulls to the right hard at times. When vehicle is cold it drives straight with NO pull to right but when cars warms up it pulls to the right All 4 tires have been replaced. All 4 calipers have been checked for proper operation and rear slide pins help been relubed. Alignment checked multiple times. Im the only one has driven vehicle and never hit any curbs or huge potholes . Does my vehicle have proportioning valves?...Can that be the problem?...Thanks for the help in advance?
Old 08-14-10, 01:11 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

check tire pressure first
I had a set of cheap tires on another car that pull to one side before even alignment is good.
Old 08-14-10, 03:02 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^that. sometimes the best solution is the most simple one.
Old 08-14-10, 08:53 AM
Caliguy350
Rookie

OH...tire pressure check multiple times....anyone have any ideas??....Does this car have brake proportioning brake valves?
Old 08-14-10, 09:10 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this happen all of the time? Are you driving down the same roads and this is happening at the same spots?

Sometimes when a STRAIGHT road is curved (banked) it happens. There's a three lane road that I go down every day and my car did that on that particular road every single time.

I realized that if I'm in the right lane, it pulls right. Left lane it pulls left. If I'm in the middle, it doesn't pull at all.
Old 08-14-10, 09:12 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing.

Check your tire sizes.

My friend had new tires installed and I guess the guy who did them was new. He had two different tire sizes and when he brought the car back in because it pulled, one of the installers noticed it.
Old 08-14-10, 12:49 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

My car always pulls to the right as well, but slowly, but noticeable.
Probably because i havent aligned my car in several months :P
Old 08-14-10, 04:33 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

[QUOTE=Micaiah;5714984]One more thing.

Check your tire sizes.

My friend had new tires installed and I guess the guy who did them was new. He had two different tire sizes and when he brought the car back in because it pulled, one of the installers noticed it.[/QUOTEMy My tires are staggered...front are 225/40/18 and rear are 255/40/18 and they match side to side...these are my second side of tires and car still pulls hard to right.....To answer your other question...car does NOT pull when are is cold (IE first thing in the morning)...but after driving and car now warmed up car pulls to right hard....IE car will change lanes for you on the spot.....any other idea....it almost feels like im towing something on right rear of car....calipers have been check and replaced....So in my eyes its not a caliper problem at this point.

Here's what has been done:

4 new tires
4 new calipers
alignment check by dealer (in specs)
Air checked a million and one times

All of these has been done of still same outcome

Can it be proportioning valve??....Does this car have them??... can anyone help??
Old 08-14-10, 04:34 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

Please someone give me some ideas on what to do next.
Old 08-14-10, 06:23 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proportioning valve = No. This is for brake biasing front to rear, not side to side.

Tires or tire pressure. There really isnt much more it can be that I am aware of.
Assuming your given facts are correct you have clearly shown no problem when the car is cold. The only variable that I can think of that alters steering geometry is the increase in tire pressure as hey come up to temp.
Are you using directional tires and are they rotating the proper direction?

Any chance your confusing your morning route(cold tires) and your afternoon route home(hot tires) with your observations?

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 08-14-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 10:56 AM
Caliguy350
Rookie

Originally Posted by CleverName
Proportioning valve = No. This is for brake biasing front to rear, not side to side.

Tires or tire pressure. There really isnt much more it can be that I am aware of.
Assuming your given facts are correct you have clearly shown no problem when the car is cold. The only variable that I can think of that alters steering geometry is the increase in tire pressure as hey come up to temp.
Are you using directional tires and are they rotating the proper direction?

Any chance your confusing your morning route(cold tires) and your afternoon route home(hot tires) with your observations?

Vince
Hi thanks for your input Vince

No pull when car is cold....that means in morning or if car has been sitting for hours....but soon it warming up a VERY bad pull to the right starts....

As stated in earlier post I bought 4 new tires....New set are Michelins PS2 front 225/40/18 and rear 255/40/18....air pressure in front are per. manufacture 35 psi and rear per. manufacture 38 psi...So i dont rotate them at all. So to be honest im thinking not a tire problem after 2 set of diff. brand of tires.

Now is it poss. the EBD is holding pressure on tire/brake causing car to pull? Because things heat up and then pull comes into play....don't know much about electronic brake distribution on this car.
Old 08-15-10, 11:48 AM
CleverName
Pole Position

I still know very little about this car, but I cannot imagine any portion of the braking system or even the electronic steering assist to have any tie to a temperature sensor. There is simply no need.

As you are insistent that all tires check good I'd have the calipers looked at again for a dragging pad.

If I had to even remotely accuse an electronic system of causing the fault, I would have the steering assist looked at. It is a fairly "new" system compared to the non-computerized hydraulic power assisted systems of the past. As both a skilled mechanic and computer technician, having an ECU with access to this system makes me somewhat apprehensive. I know of no known faults with it, but seeing that it is controlled buy the ECU, there may be some odd link to a temp sensor in there somewhere (I just don't see why).

One other far fetched guess might be to see if you can find the manufacturing date on each of your tires (I believe DOT requires they code it somewhere on the sidewall of tire) . If you were to get a PS2 of significantly different age (like years), you could be seeing compound or construction variations even though the tire bears the same designator. Kinda grasping at straws on this one, but I know tire shops do not necessarily worry about "rotating" their shelf stock.

Vince

Added a day later: EBD... Guess You cant discount this any more than the steering, for the very same reason I claimed above... Its all controlled by computers... However you should see more rapid wear on the pads for one side....
That whole temp thing has me puzzled... hope you find it soon...

Last edited by CleverName; 08-16-10 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-16-10, 06:23 PM
Caliguy350
Rookie

Originally Posted by CleverName
I still know very little about this car, but I cannot imagine any portion of the braking system or even the electronic steering assist to have any tie to a temperature sensor. There is simply no need.

As you are insistent that all tires check good I'd have the calipers looked at again for a dragging pad.

If I had to even remotely accuse an electronic system of causing the fault, I would have the steering assist looked at. It is a fairly "new" system compared to the non-computerized hydraulic power assisted systems of the past. As both a skilled mechanic and computer technician, having an ECU with access to this system makes me somewhat apprehensive. I know of no known faults with it, but seeing that it is controlled buy the ECU, there may be some odd link to a temp sensor in there somewhere (I just don't see why).

One other far fetched guess might be to see if you can find the manufacturing date on each of your tires (I believe DOT requires they code it somewhere on the sidewall of tire) . If you were to get a PS2 of significantly different age (like years), you could be seeing compound or construction variations even though the tire bears the same designator. Kinda grasping at straws on this one, but I know tire shops do not necessarily worry about "rotating" their shelf stock.

Vince

Added a day later: EBD... Guess You cant discount this any more than the steering, for the very same reason I claimed above... Its all controlled by computers... However you should see more rapid wear on the pads for one side....
That whole temp thing has me puzzled... hope you find it soon...
Hi Vince....thanks for all your input

Its on its second set of calipers all the way around....The electric steering was check numerous times by Lexus at 2 diff locations.

To be honest of tossing out that it could be tires or calipers at this point.

I dont know much either about EBD on this car but dealer also state it is wking properly.

Any other idea??
Old 08-16-10, 07:58 PM
CleverName
Pole Position

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.
Are you the original owner? Just wondering if the chassis has been in an accident and is tweaked.

At this point, you are under full warranty, and can obviously duplicate the problem to a Lexus mechanic, correct?
I also assume the car has been in for this exact issues more than once (they have it all on record, correct?) How much of the troubleshooting from Lexus has actually cost you cash out of pocket (I assume they convinced you to buy new tires) to resolve this?

As much as it pains you, I would walk in, ask for the service manager, and tell him/her your are about at the end of your rope. Despite the shops best efforts (give them praise for the work done so far) the problem persists, and you need help (notice your ASKING for help, not demanding) finding a final resolution very soon.
Be sure to talk to the service manager directly, not a lackey (ask if he has a office where you can both speak without noise or interruption) then spell out your history, and ask him/her what he now recommends for the next step....
I can BS the best of them into getting what I need done, simply by putting them on a pedestal first. You came to Lexus because they are the best, and they employ the best... All you are asking is that they now assign the best of the best to the problem...... It needs fixing and soon....

I don't know the Lexus brand that well, but I can bet all dealerships have access to a full scale engineer that the company pays to fly to locations with all the right specialized skills and equipment most shops cant afford.
This would be my push, to see if this level of support needs to be brought in. (This would also be the one level that would simply write off your car and authorize a replacement from dealer inventory.)

I admit I'm guessing on that last paragraph, but the practice is common industry wide, so I suspect the service is there for any dealership that requests help.

V