Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Springs- does this qualify for, "installed by a dealer?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 01:40 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Springs- does this qualify for, "installed by a dealer?"

Last summer I bought new F-spring and had them installed at an independent shop. After all the clunking issues, Lexus offered to replace the defective rears with new springs (TSB). I took it to a dealer for the swap and installation. Now that I am having issues with all four tires wearing on the inside after only a few thousand miles, I'm wondering if the dealer should have aligned the car after they swapped out the springs. At the time, they claimed it wasn't needed. So the question is, does this fall under something a dealer can back up since they did install the replacement springs? Or am I SOL since it was only the rears they touched and that I originally had a private shop do the first installation.
TIA
Old 08-15-10, 01:54 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

since the car is dropped ~ 1". you might experience a little bit of camber wear. Shouldn't be that noticeable, unless you drive you car hard. Anytime you mess with your suspension, you should get an alignment.
Old 08-15-10, 09:11 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if they would cover something they didnt' do. From what I understand, once you've had someone else touch something, the warranty is off of that particular installation/part. I had asked that of the dealer upon purchase of my car because it was pretty much the same with my Truck.

I was told that if something happens because of an install done by an outside company, then who is to say they even did it right in the first place. So whatever the item is that was replaced, or the work done, then you're on your own. (This is what I myself was told).

For example, when I had the exhaust done on the Truck, if there were leaks or the back pressure was off, and if the truck ran funny because of the way the computer read and reacted (such as, hesitation or backfiring), they would not fix it under warranty. From there on, more damage can occur...when in conjunction would not be covered. At least that is how I understood it.

I've been pretty lucky. The place I go for the truck and the muscle cars is awesome. Same guy has taken care of all my high performance needs and I had NEVER had any kind of issue.

That's why it's very important to go to a reputable shop with years of experience and a clean record.

Last edited by Micaiah; 08-15-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-15-10, 04:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The independent shop I went to is/was reputable. It was a thread I started here and people recommended this place. I could take it back there, but if inside wear is normal, I'm wasting my time. I guess I am just surprised it wore out that fast. I've only had springs on for a few thousand miles and the insides have little tread left. I am thinking there's a chance they could have been worn before for installation, but that is something I did not specifically check. Yet during both installs (independent and the dealer), no one pointed out worn tires when they had the car on the lift. So I go back to thinking the wear occured after the springs went on. Just pissed my tires are gone at 14k miles. I drive like a grandpa.
Old 08-15-10, 06:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The front inner tire wear is "normal" in that the factory alignment has too much toe in it... get that fixed and the excessive inner front tire wear goes away.
Old 02-18-11, 10:03 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my first fronts from the dealer went at around 14k without any mods at all...started getting my car alligned at firestone payed about 170 for lifetime allignment so i take it after every oil change, tire change, or rim change. Of course if i did change my springs i would do that. See if you can find a deal like this so you wont have to experience the problem again. Are both front and rear almost gone? Fronts go first so if thats the case replace them with a pair of good used tires or the same type that will keep you going until your rears are gone and youll be ready for a whole new set.
Old 02-22-11, 06:18 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Not sure if they would cover something they didnt' do. From what I understand, once you've had someone else touch something, the warranty is off of that particular installation/part.
true but the product itself still carries a 1yr/12k warranty whether the dealer installed it or not.

the dealer should have aligned the car. any time you remove a major suspension component like shock/struts, you need to re-align the car.
Old 02-22-11, 09:44 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
true but the product itself still carries a 1yr/12k warranty whether the dealer installed it or not.

the dealer should have aligned the car. any time you remove a major suspension component like shock/struts, you need to re-align the car.
True, the part itself is warrantied for a year but from what I get from the op, the concern was the wear on the tires due to an alignment not being done, not necessarily the part that WAS replaced by Lexus.