Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question on suspension/springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 07:17 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on suspension/springs

I'm planning to re-install my oem springs. I had eibach springs installed when my car had 20k miles and it currently has 82k miles.

Are my shocks hindered from the lowering springs?

Should/Can I simply swap out the springs like I did previously with the installation of the lowering springs?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-10, 09:29 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you swapped out your springs and kept your shocks OEM, it may suffer some damage. It all depends on the spring rate of lowering springs. If you have a sports tuned shock (oem) then those shock should be able to handle the higher spring rate.

But if your shocks are the soft OEM ones for comfort, they are probably blown. You can check if there is shock oil leaking. Stock shocks can't compensate for the stiffer springs unless they are the sport ones to begin with.

Perhaps some experts can chime it. I just state what happen to my bro's Corolla when he dropped with TRD springs and kept his OEM shock. A year later, his shock was drooling shock oil and had to be replaced.
Old 08-18-10, 11:06 AM
shiny250
Advanced

hm. im not too sure on this either. but since f-sport springs can be used with oem shocks, and f-sport springs are just eibachs with an f-sport logo on it, im pretty sure it should be fine.
Old 08-18-10, 11:43 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rroy
I'm planning to re-install my oem springs. I had eibach springs installed when my car had 20k miles and it currently has 82k miles.

Are my shocks hindered from the lowering springs?

Should/Can I simply swap out the springs like I did previously with the installation of the lowering springs?

Thanks in advance!
if youre shocks arent shot then you can just swap the springs back.

but generally springs will shorten the life of shocks.
Old 08-18-10, 12:10 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shocks arent ment to last the life of the car and at 82k it can't hurt you to buy new shocks anyways, just think of it as preventative maintenance
Old 08-18-10, 12:20 PM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
shocks arent ment to last the life of the car and at 82k it can't hurt you to buy new shocks anyways, just think of it as preventative maintenance
true, but I did have a 1990 honda accord last 287k miles on original shocks
Old 08-18-10, 12:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

How do you know if they're still performing like they should at 287k miles though? Put it on a shock dyno and I can guarantee they look nothing like they were new
Old 08-18-10, 12:43 PM
rroy
Pole Position

They weren't leaking which is usually a good sign. Plus when shocks are blown, you can usually feel the bounce in the ride.

The oem shocks in my IS are not leaking; but since I messed with the springs I'm curious what the best option is for longevity/value.
Old 08-18-10, 02:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Assuming the springs are Eibach 350',s then they are the same as F-Sport. No need to worry about the OEM shock life versus original springs.

And shocks at 287K have deteriorated, but since the deterioration happens gradually over time sometimes owners don't notice.
Old 08-18-10, 03:18 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowman
If you swapped out your springs and kept your shocks OEM, it may suffer some damage. It all depends on the spring rate of lowering springs. If you have a sports tuned shock (oem) then those shock should be able to handle the higher spring rate.

But if your shocks are the soft OEM ones for comfort, they are probably blown. You can check if there is shock oil leaking. Stock shocks can't compensate for the stiffer springs unless they are the sport ones to begin with.

Perhaps some experts can chime it. I just state what happen to my bro's Corolla when he dropped with TRD springs and kept his OEM shock. A year later, his shock was drooling shock oil and had to be replaced.
1. iirc... there is no difference between oem sports suspension shocks and oem shocks. the shocks are identical part numbers across the board. the oem sports springs are 10mm lower in the front compared to oem non-sports springs; the rear springs are identical.

2. oem shocks can handle aftermarket springs. case in point, the f-sport springs are designed to work w/ the oem shocks, and everyone in here by now knows that the f-sport springs are rebadged eibach pro-kits. of course, the lifespan of the oem shocks will be shortened with aftermarket springs, although not at the high rate of detereoration some of us might be led to believe.

3. a massive amount of oil leaking is indication of a blown shock. however, a minute amount of oil residue on the outer surface of the shocks is not an indication of a blown shock. that, and you can usually tell from the degradation of ride comfort w/ blown shocks.
Old 08-19-10, 06:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
1. iirc... there is no difference between oem sports suspension shocks and oem shocks. the shocks are identical part numbers across the board. the oem sports springs are 10mm lower in the front compared to oem non-sports springs; the rear springs are identical.

That's not correct... the sport shocks are different (different part #s too).

Joe Z posted about this a couple years back, including the relevant part numbers.
Old 08-19-10, 11:44 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ i stand corrected then. thank you for the clarification.
Old 08-20-10, 09:13 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
How do you know if they're still performing like they should at 287k miles though? Put it on a shock dyno and I can guarantee they look nothing like they were new
you would feel the difference while youre driving. the car would be super bouncy and on turns it would feel like youre going to spin out.

you can also push on a car and feel the bounciness (if thats a word)
Old 08-20-10, 09:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The wear happens over time so you're going to be immune to feeling any deterioration over 10 years, especially with stock springs. And not all cars will be bouncy when the shocks go out, especially with cars like the Accord where they're floaty from the factory. If that car with 287k miles were to have new shocks, I bet the difference would be very very apparent

rroy, if you're a DIY, you might as well reuse the OEM shocks and see how they work our for you. Worse comes worse, you'll have to get new shocks.
Old 08-20-10, 10:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

rroy - Why are you changing springs back to OEM btw?