Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Kw v3

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 05:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
Why does it matter where it was made, as long as it does what you're trying to accomplish? I'll bet you >99% of the people on this forum won't be able to tell what country their coils were made from if they're installed properly and set to similar characteristics.
I have nothing against Taiwanese coils. In fact if you've checked my posts, I recommend mostly BC coils for daily driven cars with price being a factor. The OP seems to be more flexible with pricing thus his interest in KW V3s. And yes, the name sometime does matter. I would hope most people by their products based on reputation, and not just because of the bling factor. I don't like the useless responses such as: "Megans FTW" "KW because I have them" " Got JIC on my ride and it feels great!"

What got on my nerve is labeling certain buyers brand wh0res because they didn't buy it for tracking. Does one need to track in order to appreciate KWs? That's like calling out Rolex owners brand wh0res when a Casio watch can tell time just as well.
Old 08-18-10, 05:49 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Actually I would say yes, you probably do need to track your car in order to feel the difference. Like I said, I would bet you the vast, vast majority of people can't tell the difference between similarly spec'd coils once they're installed when daily driving.

And yes, if you're willing to spend tens and thousands of dollars on a watch, you're a brand wh0re. I'm not saying being a brand wh0re is some horrible thing either - I'm certainly guilty of it sometimes. But people should be honest about it.
Old 08-18-10, 05:59 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

^

Didnt Rick (s4play) have Bc coils, but kept bottoming out so he switched to kws and didnt have the same problem?
Old 08-18-10, 06:05 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ I don't know what springs rates he used on his BCRs, the preload settings, the height, or how hard he drives (it is an F after all), so can't really speak for him. But for me, I haven't had any problems bottoming out or with noise though. Just the occasional rubbing.

Not trying to hate on KW's here guys. Like I said, I'm sure they're great coils. But the OP is talking about a minor drop and wanting a smooth ride. He might be better suited by Tein CSTs, since that's what they're designed for.

Last edited by brociouz; 08-18-10 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 06:33 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I've had the KW V3's installed for about a year with about a 1 1/2" drop. It's certainly not slammed by any means but I like the drop. Very nice ride... But you can play with the settings and pretty much set it up any way you like.

I have a very slight rub up front but only when pushing it hard around corners. I have the rebound set in the middle of the range. The roads are kinda bad where I drive. But I am thinking about adjusting the settings a little stiffer.

I have not used any other brand of coilovers. But I like the KW's a lot and have NO regrets about installing these.
Old 08-18-10, 06:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by brociouz
^ Actually I would say yes, you probably do need to track your car in order to feel the difference. Like I said, I would bet you the vast, vast majority of people can't tell the difference between similarly spec'd coils once they're installed when daily driving.
What is wrong with paying more for quality? And no, you do not have to track in order to feel a difference. If you drive on roads that are some of the roughest, the difference comes into play. Generally the higher priced items (made for comfort) will have dampers that perform better while the springs are true linear, and not just advertised as one. Buying into a certain reputable brand isn't just a performance thing. Lifespan of a shock, consistency, etc will vary from one manufacture to another. The majority of the people on this site run K-Sport, Megans, BC, Powered by max, etc but they're also their first and only set of coilovers.

And yes, if you're willing to spend tens and thousands of dollars on a watch, you're a brand wh0re. I'm not saying being a brand wh0re is some horrible thing either - I'm certainly guilty of it sometimes. But people should be honest about it.
While you aren't implying brand wh0re as a horrible thing, it certainly is offending those who did pay more to get something extra. And what constitutes KW as a brand for brand wh0res? Because it is out of our own budget? BC costs considerably more than NEX coilovers (crap btw) and will do what most other coils will, but it's not lumped in the same bag as KW?

Back to the the original topic: Stock4AG, since you're in CA, I bet you won't have a hard time tracking down someone with a set of coils. Get a few rides before you throw a large chunk of change on a set of coils. One thing I do know is that the KW cost only a bit more than the Tein CST with with good reasons. Hopefully you can find a shop that can tune the KWs if you do get them. If done right, they will give you a ride/performance that the Teins cannot give you.

Last edited by GSteg; 08-18-10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 06:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
^

Didnt Rick (s4play) have Bc coils, but kept bottoming out so he switched to kws and didnt have the same problem?

The vendor sold him non-ISF coils. They were made for the IS250/350 so the spring rates are softer.
Old 08-18-10, 07:20 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
What is wrong with paying more for quality? And no, you do not have to track in order to feel a difference. If you drive on roads that are some of the roughest, the difference comes into play. Generally the higher priced items (made for comfort) will have dampers that perform better while the springs are true linear, and not just advertised as one. Buying into a certain reputable brand isn't just a performance thing. Lifespan of a shock, consistency, etc will vary from one manufacture to another. The majority of the people on this site run K-Sport, Megans, BC, Powered by max, etc but they're also their first and only set of coilovers.
Take it easy buddy. I'm just giving the OP my opinion that for what he's looking to achieve (modest drop, comfort, non-track), KW V3's are probably overkill. If he wants to spend more for quality, then he should. But if he's looking for comfort, like he says he is, he should look into Tein CST, since that's what their specific purpose is. I haven't personally used them, so maybe someone else can give their feedback on them.

While you aren't implying brand wh0re as a horrible thing, it certainly is offending those who did pay more to get something extra. And what constitutes KW as a brand for brand wh0res? Because it is out of our own budget? BC costs considerably more than NEX coilovers (crap btw) and will do what most other coils will, but it's not lumped in the same bag as KW?
Would it make you feel better if I used the phrase "brand conscious" instead? I'm not here to get into a pissing match with you on a car forum, just helping the OP make a decision. I'm not sure how you took what I was saying as a personal attack, but it wasn't. I could easily afford KW coilovers, but for my purposes, they wouldn't be worth the extra money. And for the purposes of the OP, it doesn't sound like he needs them either. That's all.
Old 08-18-10, 07:27 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

The vendor sold him non-ISF coils. They were made for the IS250/350 so the spring rates are softer.
Well that would explain his problems.
Old 08-18-10, 07:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

"Brand Wh0re". Definitely not a compliment I can tell you that!

I'm on a more sensitive note nowadays because I've seen so much labeling on this forum that's unwarranted.
Old 08-18-10, 08:35 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not always the spring rate. VALVING has a huge roll in this. V3 is prolly the best out there and i can say that since i have tested all the brands out there for the ISF and for comfort and handling they work well. BUT i can say the BC is a great setup if valved and sprung right.
Old 08-18-10, 08:39 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

Arnt they kws applicable for the 250 350 and F ?. Thats what the box said haha.
Old 08-18-10, 08:41 PM
trackdood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Arnt they kws applicable for the 250 350 and F ?. Thats what the box said haha.
THE KW'S have two kits. ONE for the is250/350 and IS-F
Old 08-18-10, 09:38 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I had KW V3's in my evoX and I must say, they are unreal. The ride was flawless. I might get H&R's for now, but I'll def be upgrading to KW V3's in the IS eventually
Old 08-18-10, 10:53 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

What if someone just doesn't want to touch the Taiwanese stuff like Megan?
it's either that, or i put a considerable/sizeable dent into my bank account. but that's just me, because it was affordable, within my range of needs, and was what i wanted.

as such, i just offer this for consideration:

afford > need > want

Quick Reply: Kw v3