Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Kw v3

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 01:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
i'm amused at all the suspension "elitists" we have in this thread. no, really.

unfortunately, these same elitists are so consumed with offering their proper opinions that they've failed to realize that the OP has already clocked out of this thread.

but while we're on the subject of offering "proper opinions"... imO the OP just wants a "set it and forget it" set of coilovers. and to do that for $2k? even if the OP can afford it, it's slightly absurd, since almost every single coilover offering on the market and under the sun can do what he's looking for.

when you've got a fly problem, using a nuclear device is overkill when a fly swatter will do. same logic applies here.

Suspension elitists? I think not. These are the labeling that I only see in the 2IS forums as of late and it's getting quite annoying. I see this issue whenever anyone recommends anything other than your budget based coils like Megans. Who is to say the KWs aren't what he's looking for? He's looking for a ride that is smooth, but sporty enough that is not going to be bone-jarring. It's got a nice progressive springs for daily comfort but firms up as you try to corner harder. Decent dampers go a long way of absorbing bumps on the road. Yes it is expensive, but it also has its advantages and it may very well be what the OP is looking for.

Some people buy IS350 even though the IS250 is more than adequate. Most owners don't 'need' an IS350, nor do they track. Is the extra money spent absurd? What was your in criteria that you had to have an IS350 rather than the 250?

The extra money spent doesn't always equate to extra value, but there is nothing wrong with spending more for something nicer, especially if the OP already knows what he's getting into. No one is suggesting a full on Moton racing suspension.

You are far more than welcome to suggest something else if you don't see the KWs being fit for the job, but to sit there and label people just because they don't agree with your opinion is well....absurd.
Old 08-20-10, 02:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
And what do you mean by set it and forget it? I won't be attending track events in my 2IS,
but I don't see anything wrong with deriving a good setting to drive on the street.
Set it and forget it means you'll just install the suspension and probably never touch it again. For the most part, daily driving doesn't require you to constantly adjust your suspension (height or damper settings). Once you've found your perfect setting, you'll most likely leave it there.

It is not the first time I picked suspension setup for a car, in other cars I have used simple combinations like prokit, koni shocks, TRD short strokes, to full coilovers with high spring rates.
I have developed some preferences and know the roads in my area are not so good, thus the requirements I stated.
Is there any particular setup you've had that most resembles what you're looking for?
Old 08-20-10, 02:21 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
I'm still here, thanks to some of the contributions. What do you consider to be "elitist"?

And what do you mean by set it and forget it? I won't be attending track events in my 2IS,
but I don't see anything wrong with deriving a good setting to drive on the street.
It is not the first time I picked suspension setup for a car, in other cars I have used simple combinations like prokit, koni shocks, TRD short strokes, to full coilovers with high spring rates.
I have developed some preferences and know the roads in my area are not so good, thus the requirements I stated.
in regards to the "elitist" reference, i wasn't referring to you if that's what you were wondering.

now, maybe i was being a little general in my "set it and forget it" statement, but i thought it was self-explanatory. regardless, what i meant was that the consensus attitude toward coilovers in the 2is section is "set it and forget it", meaning the majority of 2is owners on coilovers will rarely if ever make use of the functions/adjustments available on their own coilovers.

as such, and with all due respect, but based on reading your posts my understanding (and only that) is that that is all you're looking to do with your coilovers: achieve your desired ride height and dampening, and call it a day. i'd say that qualifies as a "set it and forget it" attitude. if i'm wrong, please feel free to correct me. but given my assessment of your needs, that's what i've arrived at.

i'm not here to debate the quality (or lack thereof) of whatever brand of coilovers being discussed. what my opinion revolves around is whether it is actually worthwhile to spend that much money on something that can be had at a fraction of the cost.

none of this is to dissuade you from your original selection, but it should at least be food for thought.

best of luck with your coilovers selection.
Old 08-20-10, 02:39 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Suspension elitists? I think not. These are the labeling that I only see in the 2IS forums as of late and it's getting quite annoying. I see this issue whenever anyone recommends anything other than your budget based coils like Megans. Who is to say the KWs aren't what he's looking for? He's looking for a ride that is smooth, but sporty enough that is not going to be bone-jarring. It's got a nice progressive springs for daily comfort but firms up as you try to corner harder. Decent dampers go a long way of absorbing bumps on the road. Yes it is expensive, but it also has its advantages and it may very well be what the OP is looking for.

Some people buy IS350 even though the IS250 is more than adequate. Most owners don't 'need' an IS350, nor do they track. Is the extra money spent absurd? What was your in criteria that you had to have an IS350 rather than the 250?

The extra money spent doesn't always equate to extra value, but there is nothing wrong with spending more for something nicer, especially if the OP already knows what he's getting into. No one is suggesting a full on Moton racing suspension.

You are far more than welcome to suggest something else if you don't see the KWs being fit for the job, but to sit there and label people just because they don't agree with your opinion is well....absurd.
just because you don't think it doesn't make it so. well, at least not in the opinion of others (myself included), but i digress. (btw, "unfair labeling" isn't just a 2is section phenomenon...)

with the exception of being called a suspension "elitist", you've obviously misread (parts of) my post (actually, quite a few parts). while i would enjoy nothing more than to spend my afternoon explaining to you exactly what i meant, i'll leave you with this:

"your intepretation is not my problem."

i've spoken my peace. best of luck to the OP.
Old 08-20-10, 03:24 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Is there any particular setup you've had that most resembles what you're looking for?
Well, I know progressive springs or lower spring rates will deliver the ride quality I am looking for in my 2IS. There are alot of these / \ in the I-580 freeway towards Oakland here and I had been thrown upwards completely off the seat with high rate linear springs.

I also know a set of suspension will perform the best when the ride height is set ideally to work with the shock body length. That is why I asked I want to drop this much (e.g. 1.5").. how will it work. Cali2IS have the same drop I am looking to do and I will be meeting up with him soon. I always ask the manufacturer also this question what is the best height to set it,
so I just got off the phone with KW and they told me the springs are LINEAR for V3
I've got the rates quoted to me for IS250

515 F / 455 R lbs/in whichs translate very close to 9KG/8KG
Minimum drop 1.25" F, 0.9"R
Recommended 1.5" F, 1.3" R

I also asked about the compression/rebound adjustment and was told I can reach the ***** under the car without taking off the wheels, I have a drive on lift so I can get to them in 2 minutes if I need to adjust them.
Old 08-20-10, 04:17 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I am not dead set on getting KWs yet, I understand paying twice as much does NOT mean I can take a turn at twice the speed.. but I have heard good things about KWs.

Sorry that the original post was very vague, it does sound like "I need a 1.5" drop what is best!!?!!?" it is not quite like that. I am aware of the price differences.
So I am going to get some test rides to compare their values.
Old 08-21-10, 07:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by projectdna
just because you don't think it doesn't make it so. well, at least not in the opinion of others (myself included), but i digress. (btw, "unfair labeling" isn't just a 2is section phenomenon...)

with the exception of being called a suspension "elitist", you've obviously misread (parts of) my post (actually, quite a few parts). while i would enjoy nothing more than to spend my afternoon explaining to you exactly what i meant, i'll leave you with this:

"your intepretation is not my problem."

i've spoken my peace. best of luck to the OP.
And just because you think the way you do in your high almighty chair doesn't make it so either so drop the labeling. I can find various posts of yours where all you've done was make generalize statements towards those who decide to not be as budget conscious as you are. I know exactly what you mean. What you've said was what I was preaching for years.

We get it, needs comes before wants. I've always emphasized this greatly, but we're not talking $6k coilovers. KW has a good reputation for applications in which the driver desires a compliant ride around the city, yet capable enough to do light duty tracking. There are other coils out there that can do 90% of what the KW can do but at 50% of the cost, but some people can afford to look beyond the perceived value and spend more. This is why many on this forum choose to own IS350s/IS-Fs rather than IS250s.

Again, if you have a better product suggestion, then I welcome it as long as you can provide why it's a better choice. You do not decide who is elitist or not, especially when the OP has never stated his budget.
Old 08-21-10, 07:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

KW has always been using progressive springs except for their Clubsport series. For most other cars, this is the case but the IS may be an exception. 9k/8k spring rate (providing the valving is proper) should give a supple ride quality. A lot of coilovers half the price are running spring rates of 12k in the front and 8k in the rear. Although BC Racing could offer you something with similar rates if you do not wish to spend $2k anymore. In comparison, the soft riding Tein CST spring rates are 7k/7k.

Cali2IS is one of the only few people in Norcal with KW V3. I don't know if he commutes on the same highway as you, but you've got a great opportunity there! One thing I have to mention though, find out what damper setting he's using and see if he can allow you to make minor tweaks. Good luck and report back. Let us know if you're going to be testing other coils or not.

Last edited by GSteg; 08-21-10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-21-10, 09:05 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of track driving or street driving or whatever, KW V3's are a superior suspension to all the taiwan crap like D2, Tein, Megan, BC, etc... I believe they will last longer as well. The ride on them is amazing, way better then what I've felt with other coil setups. I'd rather go with Kw no matter what because they test their kits instead of just reverse engineering another brands and copying them. When you're buying brand new coilover kits for under 1k, what does that tell you? Master distribs get 40% off of Tein coils and retail shops get 20%. Tein is crap too, and I've seen them blow a million times. I prefer the german made KW's personally.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-21-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-21-10, 10:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,301 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Guys knock off the rude personal commentary.
Old 08-21-10, 02:15 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

And just because you think the way you do in your high almighty chair doesn't make it so either so drop the labeling. I can find various posts of yours where all you've done was make generalize statements towards those who decide to not be as budget conscious as you are. I know exactly what you mean. What you've said was what I was preaching for years.
so, at least on a practical level, we agree.

We get it, needs comes before wants. I've always emphasized this greatly, but we're not talking $6k coilovers. KW has a good reputation for applications in which the driver desires a compliant ride around the city, yet capable enough to do light duty tracking. There are other coils out there that can do 90% of what the KW can do but at 50% of the cost, but some people can afford to look beyond the perceived value and spend more. This is why many on this forum choose to own IS350s/IS-Fs rather than IS250s.
"it's better to have and not need than to need and not have."

having said that, how much more does it cost to "have and not need"? can "have and not need" be achieved at a lower cost? i believe we agree on this as well.

Again, if you have a better product suggestion, then I welcome it as long as you can provide why it's a better choice. You do not decide who is elitist or not, especially when the OP has never stated his budget.
now this is where i would beg to differ. i'm not paid enough to be a forum product/brand spokesperson, so i don't have a "better" product suggestion. as a matter of fact, i refuse to offer a "better" product suggestion, because it's not my money on the line. however, i did and continue to advise the OP to think critically (something that has been absent in the 2is section) and at least weigh the alternatives and if there is a more cost-effective option.

btw, the "elitist" comment was never directed to the OP, and in hindsight (and as a result of being reminded by others) it should not have been stated that way to open the chance for a different interpretation. on the other hand, just because a brand/product costs less or is manufacturered in a specific country or region of the world (or how much distributors and/or retailers get a cut from selling said product) does not make it an inferior product. elitist thinking dictates otherwise.

now, if the OP deems that said product is worth 100% of the price of entry, regardless of where in the world it was manufactured or how much it costs (or how much master distributors and retailers get a cut from selling said product), then by all means have at it.

Last edited by projectdna; 08-21-10 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 03:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The OP has mentioned quite a few times that he realizes the price difference and knows what he's getting himself into. I'm sure he's already thinking critically otherwise he would have been dead set on the KWs without considering anything else. No need to pound this whole 'need not want' stuff into this thread if he already acknowledges it. In fact I'm sure most Lexus owners knows this, after all, Lexus is revolved around practicality and value.

And yes, country of origin doesn't dictate quality otherwise I wouldn't have some Taiwanese tools in my toolbox, but there are certain practices some companies (like Megan) have that makes me believe they put out inferior products. Many are happy with them, and more power to them, but I would never suggest them unless you just want coilovers at the cheapest price without regards for long term quality.

I felt the 'elitist' comments were pointed more towards my direction than the OP, thus my response. The reason why this thread is filled with KW is because the OP inquired them. Had his original thread been titled: "Find me the cheapest coils to lower 1.5" then these KW suggestions would have been over the top, but it is clearly not the case.

I will be heading out of this thread since everything that needed to be said has been said. I suggest you do the same to prevent further disagreement. OP will be taking a test drive and will ultimately decides whether he wants them or not. Stock4AG, PM me with your impressions when you get the chance. Thanks!
Old 08-26-10, 11:50 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the OP needs to go ahead with his ride along and see if he likes the KW's. That will give him real world experience with that setup. They are worth the extra money IMO for the ride qaultiy.

Again, if anyone wants any help or questions answered, feel free to PM us.