Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering springs question from a noob

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 08:09 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs question from a noob

I am in the market for a set of lowering springs for my 2006 is250 AWD. I was originally gonna go with the fsport springs just because i would feel more peace of mind with lexus products, but i feel like a 1 inch drop isn't enough. I've heard of roadmagnets but i think 2 is too drastic for me. This car is my daily driver for the next 6 years so i wanna make sure i get this right lol. Yes i would love to get coilovers but im young and don't have that kind of money to just throw around.

I've searched cl and also my.is and i have seen some AWD using H&R springs or Eibach springs. I know H&R springs are compatible with the AWD model but are the Eibach? It seems like its not but people do it anyway and it works out fine? I think im leaning toward H&R cause its a 1.4 drop which in my mind sounds perfect.

I called the company today and they told me that since i have semi high miles on my car (50k) i should replace my shocks as well. Is this true? Cause as i said before i dont have much money and would not want to have to do it if not needed. Also is there anything i have to be on the lookout for when i get springs? Is there chance of headaches later? Anybody that has past experience with these springs or have heard things please inform me! I have heard great things from the 250 RWD and the 350 but i heard some comments about the springs on AWD having some vibrations. I want to be confident in my purchase Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-10, 08:44 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Hey there! I happen to have the F-sports which gives a decent drop but nothing that'll wow you. It's noticeable enough that people who don't know the IS very well have stopped and asked me if it was lowered. But as always the keyword is asked. It's borderline.

Now you really should change the shocks at the same time as the springs but it's not necessary. Just don't expect your shocks to last as long as it should. The cost of springs + shocks will be about the same as coilvers to be honest. So if you can, save up!

As far as the road magnets go, they're going to be a lower drop. They look great but it's bit too low for my taste so I agree with you. The Eibachs are honestly the same spring as the F-sports. In fact they probably are the same EXACT springs especially after the revision but with different paint. I haven't looked into the H&R springs much but my buddy has it on his TL and they're quite comfy for the amount they drop. I'd recommend them as a company.

You can't go wrong with any of them. Keep in mind that if you decide to do the springs yourself, MAKE SURE you torque the bolts PROPERLY. If you don't know what you're doing, have a friend that you KNOW FOR A FACT knows what he's doing to help you. Unfortunately when I initially installed them, a few nuts weren't tightened properly and came off. Nothing happened except it was a hassle to order them and replace them (knock on wood). I do, however, now have some clunking issues in the front that the dealer and I are trying to fix. Unfortunately we haven't figured out what it is yet but I'm thinking it's coil slap. Do what you want and feel is best for you. Just make sure you're sure that's what you want. I know I'm going to change to coilovers soon since I'm not satisfied with springs. I'd honestly at the end though, recommend you save up. You'll be way happier.
Old 08-20-10, 09:05 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

kuuqi- Thanks for your input! yea i think ive basically crossed out fsports from my list cause the drop is too mild. I was hoping you didnt say that i should change my shocks... and i really do want coilovers but thats out of budget ill have to see what kind of price range im looking at for springs and shocks. And i got a guy that does all my work
Old 08-20-10, 09:08 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

GO coilover either BCR or Megan for the AWD not spring the money you spend on shock and spring and install you can just buy the coilover. Plus you'll get the rite height you want and raise it up for the winter time. cause with spring once it on what you get is what you get for your height
Old 08-20-10, 09:10 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Haha awesome. Springs will run yuo roughly $200 where as shocks will be approximately $600. +/- $100 or so. You're looking at $800 where you can honestly get a set of coilovers for $999. I think a local tuning shop near me is selling them for as low as $900 but I've yet to verify (word of mouth really). Heck one of our vendors gives a free strut bar with it when you purchase it. Hope that might help you out a bit in your decision making.
Old 08-20-10, 09:25 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work in the service department of Lexus Dealership, and on a few occasions (10 or so) in a span of a little over two years 2IS's with 65k-80k+ needed new shocks. With that said, I would wait and save up bc buying and installing springs now, and buying and installing shocks in the future will cost more then if you just wait and buy coils.

I bought my H&R's at around 12k miles. I plan on getting coils when I need new shocks, but with 44k miles, that won't happen for about 2 years=[

Here are some threads that might help you make a wise decision.
DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-most.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...k-up-only.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...digna-kit.html
Old 08-20-10, 09:38 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

ughhh you guys make me feel so wrong going with springs...i really have the money for coilovers now but i really just hate seeing 1000+ go down the drain /: now im thinking about waiting for a good set of used coilovers to pop up on the forums. I know even less about coilovers than springs lol. How long do they last for?
Old 08-20-10, 10:27 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

i wanna say you can get 40k+ out of them depending on driving condition of your everyday driving. trust me money spent on coilover you be happier then spring since coilover give you the option to adjust height, get custom spring rate, and adjustable damp.
Old 08-21-10, 08:23 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
ughhh you guys make me feel so wrong going with springs...i really have the money for coilovers now but i really just hate seeing 1000+ go down the drain /: now im thinking about waiting for a good set of used coilovers to pop up on the forums. I know even less about coilovers than springs lol. How long do they last for?
There is nothing wrong with springs/shock combo despite everyone rooting for you to go coilovers. When paired right, they can work fantastically. Quality springs and shocks cost almost as much as cheaper budget coilovers like Megans and KSport. The cheaper dampers do not last as long, although you'll have many people tell you their coils are working great for so and so miles. A set of replacement dampers will cost you $400 a set so it's not exactly cheap either.

I don't know much about the AWD market, but if you're worried about the long term, maybe you can see if Bilstein have shocks to pair up with the spring of your choice. Bilstein offers lifetime warranty on their products if you buy them from an authorized retailer. If you can find springs that lower your car exactly the way you want, and have no intention of changing ride height later on, then a quality spring/shock combo will be more than enough while still staying in your budget.
Old 08-21-10, 08:56 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
There is nothing wrong with springs/shock combo despite everyone rooting for you to go coilovers. When paired right, they can work fantastically. Quality springs and shocks cost almost as much as cheaper budget coilovers like Megans and KSport. The cheaper dampers do not last as long, although you'll have many people tell you their coils are working great for so and so miles. A set of replacement dampers will cost you $400 a set so it's not exactly cheap either.

I don't know much about the AWD market, but if you're worried about the long term, maybe you can see if Bilstein have shocks to pair up with the spring of your choice. Bilstein offers lifetime warranty on their products if you buy them from an authorized retailer. If you can find springs that lower your car exactly the way you want, and have no intention of changing ride height later on, then a quality spring/shock combo will be more than enough while still staying in your budget.
that is exactly what i ive actually decided lol. Thanks alot! you made me feel more comfortable on my decision im pretty much set on H&Rs and now i just gotta find some shocks. Will def look into the ones you said, ive heard about them before
Old 08-22-10, 07:03 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know of any shocks that work well on the 250 AWD with aftermarket springs???
Old 08-23-10, 04:03 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really isn't a whole lot of options for shocks/coilovers for an AWD IS.

If you DO decide you want a set of coilovers let us know and we can get you a good deal on them and help you get the right specs for your needs