Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-02, 09:30 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manaray...coils have wannabes to....:eek: ..yeah, seen those @$399-499/set.....guess you get all the clonking and rattling with them...

hopefully you get to have some prices on the WS for guys here...

MC,

i have seen Bilsteins PSS for ~$850-890 and WS ~$950-990....both are great units...
Old 07-16-02, 09:42 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by pot_head

ya a local shop told me most coilovers do rattle a little bit or at least make a sound when going over 'some' bumps. any truth in this??? im also considering tien coilovers to replace my l-sportlines for the gs400....
pot_head - Are you getting rid of your lsportlines because of ride quality or wheel gap? The reason I'm asking is I too have the lsportlines...I'm very pleased with the ride but I want to eliminate more of the wheel gap. I don't know whether my shocks are adjusted to the lowest setting. When I was shopping for suspension, I recall that Phil, the manager of Platinum Motorsports in Pomona, telling me he had lsportlines on his GS and his wheels were nearly tucked.
Old 07-17-02, 04:11 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gunner, he might have a heavy stereo or he could have chopped the springs (or heated them)...which I HIGHLY don't recommend...that's a very "ghetto" way of doing it!

MC - Check out Will's post...I am working on getting a deal on the APEXi WS's....we'll see how that goes...
Old 07-17-02, 10:44 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Default HA ROADTEST

ROMINL and myself hooked up with REDGS4 today and had a fun little roadtest in Red's GS equipped w/ HA's. Wow were we impressed! At the softest setting, the car handled and rode like a dream. We took some serious corncers and I could have sworn we were on rails!

Seriously, all of this talk about a stiff ride in the HA's were shattered by today's performance. If you want handling you can't expect Cadillac - HA's rock.

Rominl and myself are both sold on the HA's and we are just trying to determine where the best price is for a couple of sets. Steve G's price is about $1K which seems to be the average. If anyone knows of a better price, please let us know!

Thx.

--
Old 07-17-02, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: HA ROADTEST

Originally posted by Synergy
ROMINL and myself hooked up with REDGS4 today and had a fun little roadtest in Red's GS equipped w/ HA's. Wow were we impressed! At the softest setting, the car handled and rode like a dream. We took some serious corncers and I could have sworn we were on rails!

Seriously, all of this talk about a stiff ride in the HA's were shattered by today's performance. If you want handling you can't expect Cadillac - HA's rock.

Rominl and myself are both sold on the HA's and we are just trying to determine where the best price is for a couple of sets. Steve G's price is about $1K which seems to be the average. If anyone knows of a better price, please let us know!

Thx.

--

yeah i can vouch for that hey synergy i made my own post too, so i am sure a lot of people will read
Old 07-18-02, 04:13 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

It's all about people's tolerance. I have buddies that own lower Integras that thought the HA's were "soft"...hehehe...then I've had people ride in my GS with the H&R's and thought it was too rough...the best way to find out is to test it yourself...but...

It will also depend on the tire setup you have...if you ride in a stock car with a 30 profile tire, it's going to be rough even on stock shocks...

What was the specs for the car that you tested out? What were the roads like?

My setup rides like a dream on decent roads but if I hit some nasty choppy roads, it's not pretty.
Old 07-18-02, 08:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by manaray
It's all about people's tolerance. I have buddies that own lower Integras that thought the HA's were "soft"...hehehe...then I've had people ride in my GS with the H&R's and thought it was too rough...the best way to find out is to test it yourself...but...

It will also depend on the tire setup you have...if you ride in a stock car with a 30 profile tire, it's going to be rough even on stock shocks...

What was the specs for the car that you tested out? What were the roads like?

My setup rides like a dream on decent roads but if I hit some nasty choppy roads, it's not pretty.
i agree with you manaray, it's a personal preference. i am sure there are people who wants to maintain the stock ride. but since i am still young, i guess my *** will suck it up a bit

the car has the HA, with 18 VR rims (i forgot the model, but it's the gun metal color 16lb one), and the so3 (245/35/18 and 275/30/18 i believe). redgs4, feel free to correct me
Old 07-18-02, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

btw, manaray, since you are the man on this, i probably should ask you.

i noticed that the **** for tuning the dampening from the front, it's inside the engine bay area. my question is

1) with the HA, i will stay with the stock upper mount, unless i get the extra from tein, correct?
2) with that **** for tuning the dampening, can i still install TRD or TOM's STB? or UGO is my only choice now? i know even if i get TRD or TOM's i will have to remove the bar to tune the car, but i am more worried abou whether i can even fit the bar.

thanks for the tips man
Old 07-19-02, 12:42 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Rominl - 1) Yes 2) It will work fine...no need to remove.

Don't forget to adjust the dampening on the back too...I am currently running it at 0/0...I might click it up to 1/1 or 2/2 soon...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-19-02 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-19-02, 05:04 AM
pot_head
Driver

Originally posted by GunnerMac

pot_head - Are you getting rid of your lsportlines because of ride quality or wheel gap? The reason I'm asking is I too have the lsportlines...I'm very pleased with the ride but I want to eliminate more of the wheel gap. I don't know whether my shocks are adjusted to the lowest setting. When I was shopping for suspension, I recall that Phil, the manager of Platinum Motorsports in Pomona, telling me he had lsportlines on his GS and his wheels were nearly tucked.
if you have real l-sportlines it should be 2 setting adjustable ride height. Low and hi. see if its adjusted to the lowest setting. I dont know if the wheels will be tucked cuz i have a SC430 and using the L-sportline kit for the GS on it. but i remember a post where there were pics of all sorts of lowered GS's and one pic had a GS with the L-sportline kit. It looks to me like the rear wheels are pretty tucked...but i could be wrong.