Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My custom LCA inner sleeves made w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 02:36 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My custom LCA inner sleeves made w/ pics

Hello,

I went to install new bushings and hit roadblock because the bolts are seized inside the sleeve. They will need to cut out and the parts are not sold by Toyota unless you buy a complete bushing from the 1998+ SCs or a entire new control arm.** (Not clear if this is factual or not).

Fortunately I have a family member with many, many years of machine experience who could make a good attempt at duplicating the originals. Thanks to Bflatsharp who sent me an old set of sleeves my machinist was able to come up with this. I will need new bolts and as soon as I get them I wil be able to put these in. They will be going in Daizen bushings.

The aluminum is type 2014. At first I was weary of using aluminum for the steel replacement, but after seeing a 6,000PSI press doing those little dimples, I think the aluminum is strong enough for the control arm. Right?

The original aluminum sleeve weighs 0.200 lbs. The new one weighs 0.214 lbs.

The original steel weighs 0.364 lbs. The new (aluminum as well) 0.126 lbs.

Here is a side by side

He stamped the heads of the smaller bolt with a 6,000PSI press. Do you guys think the grooves are deep enough?

Last edited by ISFFUN; 09-19-10 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 07:30 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!

I'm not trying to diss your efforts by saying this, but if I'm not mistaken, those grooves are probably unnecessary if you are using poly type bushings. Those grooves hold the (bonded) rubber bushings in their 'static' position, as the rubber is intended to flex torsionally whereas the poly is meant to slip on it's lube. They certainly won't hurt anything, but it might have saved some machining. If anything, you could add a few slight grooves axially for some lube retention for the polys.

You mentioned 98+ bushings being available from the dealer without buying the entire CA, is this definitely correct? Would you possibly have the part number for the bushing set? This is the first I've heard of them offering a 'bushing only' set since they were discontinued years ago. I think a lot of people would be happy to hear this if it is indeed accurate.
Old 09-11-10, 11:17 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Hmm. Thanks for the input. About the bushings, this is the info I received from Sewell. Like you said it's probably discontinued.

"Your 97 model year SC300 was the last year Lexus DID NOT offer a replacement bushing for the control arm. For the next year, 1998 Lexus offers the replaceable bushing that comes with the metal sleeve."
Old 09-11-10, 11:58 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
Looks good!

I'm not trying to diss your efforts by saying this, but if I'm not mistaken, those grooves are probably unnecessary if you are using poly type bushings. Those grooves hold the (bonded) rubber bushings in their 'static' position, as the rubber is intended to flex torsionally whereas the poly is meant to slip on it's lube. They certainly won't hurt anything, but it might have saved some machining. If anything, you could add a few slight grooves axially for some lube retention for the polys.
Wow that makes a lot of sense.I was wondering why mine never had grooves
Old 09-12-10, 02:05 PM
gdoutlex
Pole Position

will these go into production? if so put me on the list haha thanks
Old 09-19-10, 02:34 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

The passenger side was completed yesterday. We had to use an acetylene torch with a cutting mixture to melt the bolt out from the rear with the steel sleeve. I purchased both the front and rear bolts but the aluminum bolt (front) came right out so when I do the other side next weekend I'll just need to get the rear one.

Our custom aluminum sleeves fit without issue. I've driven 30 miles so far and having new Daizen/polygraphite bushings is such an improvement. We tried our best to keep the alignment marks as they were but of course after everything is done I'll get an alignment anyway. I'll probably replace the shocks before then as well.

Looks good so far!!
Old 09-19-10, 08:33 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy to hear things are working out.

Now buy that guy a beer.
Old 09-20-10, 09:16 AM
PEARL2
Pole Position

do you have the # for the dealership. most of the dealerships I spoke with said they don't sell those bushings.
Old 09-20-10, 10:00 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

I spoked to Darrel @ Sewell Parts (sewellparts.com - 888.909.6633 )

I have a feeling that there might have been a mix up with what we had talked about and the 1998 bushings are NOT available but you could call and double check.
Old 09-21-10, 03:53 AM
blazer84
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions for each bushing insert? Length, outer diameter, inner diameter.. etc.

thanks,
David
Old 10-24-13, 07:36 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

I Need A Set ASAP for my lower front arms can they still be ordered?