Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My suspension situation...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 08:14 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My suspension situation...

Hey guys I need some solid advice on what to do about my SC400's suspension. The car is currently lowered with Tein comfort sport coilovers and I'm sitting on 18inch IS350 rims. Some of you might remember a previous thread of mine griping about TM Engineering and that the caster/camber kit is on backorder. Well I have officially given up on that as an option so basically I need new suspension for my car. Currently I have negative camber in the front and the back tires wear pretty evenly. I have also already tried to get an alignment to fix the problem but I'm still negative. So here are the options I have considered and I want some feed back on what the best/most practical option is based on your experience or opinion. I don't want my car to be slammed or anything I want a nice aggressive stance with factory caster/camber and a somewhat comfortable ride quality since this is my daily.

Option#1
Coilovers with built in caster/camber adjustment. Are the D2 racing ones any good?

Option#2
Supra springs&shocks but I'm not sure if my geometry will still be off?

Option#3
lowering springs&shocks but same concerns as option#2 about geometry/alignment.

Please guys I need some help because I don't want to have to buy yet another pair of front tires in a few weeks! This also means when I do get new suspension, I''ll have coilovers for sale! Thanks.
Old 09-15-10, 09:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Option 1 is not possible with the SC suspension. Coilovers that offer caster/camber adjustment are for McPherson struts. Don't go by the generic description/picture that are shown on websites.

Second of all, your 'geometry' will always deviate from stock as long as you are lowering/raising the height.

You don't need factory alignment to get good tire wear. Factory alignment are just that...for factory cars. Once you've lowered your car, your car requires a different set of alignment spec. I can tell you that I've lowered cars with just 1-2 finger gaps and my set of tires will last over 25k easily. Toe kill tires faster than camber/caster.
Old 09-15-10, 09:29 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Option 1 is not possible with the SC suspension. Coilovers that offer caster/camber adjustment are for McPherson struts. Don't go by the generic description/picture that are shown on websites.

Second of all, your 'geometry' will always deviate from stock as long as you are lowering/raising the height.

You don't need factory alignment to get good tire wear. Factory alignment are just that...for factory cars. Once you've lowered your car, your car requires a different set of alignment spec. I can tell you that I've lowered cars with just 1-2 finger gaps and my set of tires will last over 25k easily. Toe kill tires faster than camber/caster.
+1 another option which i believe i posted on your other thread, is to purchase supra arms and camber kit.
Old 09-15-10, 10:05 PM
VanillaSC
Driver

Ok so what are you guys saying I should do? Maybe take it somewhere else and have them align it?
Old 09-15-10, 10:10 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, that's your best bet without spending a bunch of money, considering your current coilovers are still good.