Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

All this-and still the shake???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 11:20 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Im going to a place that lets you rent their press and doing the removal/reinstall at home. Press costs $15/hr to use
LOL, hokay... but when you're sweatin ***** and cursing at the lil lip thing and trying to find the right fitting to go over the press and still fit in the bushing... just remember I told ya it'd be easier to pay for it
Old 10-01-10, 11:34 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahhh I see what you're saying..Damn bushings. I have a shop I can use also, might do that instead then...Damn old man suspension Lexus!
Originally Posted by JiBBeL
LOL, hokay... but when you're sweatin ***** and cursing at the lil lip thing and trying to find the right fitting to go over the press and still fit in the bushing... just remember I told ya it'd be easier to pay for it
Old 10-01-10, 12:05 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Ahhh I see what you're saying..Damn bushings. I have a shop I can use also, might do that instead then...Damn old man suspension Lexus!
Ya, I'm not trying to discourage you. It was really rewarding doin the job 90% myself, and I learned a ton about our cars' suspension in the process. But when I went to pick back up my control arms with the new bushings pressed in, my shop guy was like "WTF dude, that was nasty. It took two of us 30 minutes to get the 1st one out. We kinda got the hang of it after that, but this is one of the worst jobs I've ever done." I laughed and asked him if he wanted to do the same job on my other car and he said he'd get one of the young bucks to do it, but helllllll naw. True story.
Old 10-01-10, 12:27 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Ill make sure I get the quote BEFORE the job lol

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Ya, I'm not trying to discourage you. It was really rewarding doin the job 90% myself, and I learned a ton about our cars' suspension in the process. But when I went to pick back up my control arms with the new bushings pressed in, my shop guy was like "WTF dude, that was nasty. It took two of us 30 minutes to get the 1st one out. We kinda got the hang of it after that, but this is one of the worst jobs I've ever done." I laughed and asked him if he wanted to do the same job on my other car and he said he'd get one of the young bucks to do it, but helllllll naw. True story.
Old 10-01-10, 03:52 PM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how difficult is it to replace MM's on a 2gs3? I wrestled w/ them and a tranny mount on my 05 CTSV all day on my back, and would do it again if I knew they were a contributor to the 55-65mph steering wheel shake.
Old 10-01-10, 04:15 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Well one day after installing steering bushings my shimmy and vibrations are back full force. **** me!

Originally Posted by ShansLexGS
how difficult is it to replace MM's on a 2gs3? I wrestled w/ them and a tranny mount on my 05 CTSV all day on my back, and would do it again if I knew they were a contributor to the 55-65mph steering wheel shake.
Old 10-02-10, 09:28 AM
SnoopyBQ
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interesting, i thought bad motor mounts would only cause shaking at idle. Any idea why motor mounts would cause shaking on the highway?
Old 10-02-10, 09:49 AM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

didnt realize at first the MM issue was on a gs4... if they're a fluid filled mount it's likely they went bad over time and leaked out all the fluid... this was the case in my LS6 powered caddy, only they went bad very early in life (30K miles or less)

it's probably unlikely that bad MM's are a contributor to the shakes in a gs3 though... there's not enough torque in the inline 6 to create this problem IMO
Old 10-03-10, 07:48 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

I belive I have a similar problem. My car currently has 132k miles, I had the front end suspension bushings, ball joints and tie rods inspected, they found nothing damage or worned out, they did notice that the LBJ were replaced. I've done Numerous car allignments and wheel balancing. I feel a consistant shake between the speeds of 55-62 mph which is coming from the steering wheel and at time's if I brake along that area of mph I also feel that shake in the steering wheel for a moment. I dont know if we share the same type of symptoms or problem. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 10-03-10, 08:14 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Join the hundreds of others my friend.. You will now spend eternity hunting for the solution lol
Old 10-05-10, 03:30 PM
Vincenza V
Driver School Candidate

"Join the hundreds of others my friend.. You will now spend eternity hunting for the solution lol "-actually, you mean THOUSANDS! lol. Seriously Pizdets17 lol.
"very interesting, i thought bad motor mounts would only cause shaking at idle. Any idea why motor mounts would cause shaking on the highway?
10-01-10 07:15 PM"--

That's what I thought too on my GS400. WRONG though. Replace them. I didn't even notice a shake at idle. It seemed to run slightly "rough" when cold only, but I never suspected them. Get me a good video of your V8 GS4, in drive, foot ON THE BRAKE in a safe location, and QUICKLY reving the motor/blipping the throttle really. I might be able to see the same movement that I thought was normal-but is not. It made a WORLD OF difference. It is the best "Shake fix" I've EVER done on this car!

"it's probably unlikely that bad MM's are a contributor to the shakes in a gs3 though... there's not enough torque in the inline 6 to create this problem IMO "

You may have a point. I don't know.

Also, the DIY pressing OUT the bushings/metal sleeves is the WORST TIME YOU WILL EVER HAVE ON YOUR CAR!

JIBBEL-IS 100% RIGHT. The shop will HATE you after. IT is not correct to say "press them out". Anyone who has already done this can attest. You really are demoing them out. How hard is air chiseling rubber? Harder than you think. It took me 3-4 HOURS to get all the bushings and sleeves OUT of the L+R upper+lower control arms, including the castor arms. Due to the shape of the control arms, they won't just sit there and let you press them out, they move and it is dangerous as heck. I am the biggest DIY guy, have done a lot of **** to my car (timing belt sevice, etc...) and it was so NOT worth doing it myself. But, I didn't have the cash and though that the mod would fix my shake issues. It didn't ONE BIT. MY fix was the Motor Mounts. It seems everyone has a different part that has failed though.

Last edited by Vincenza V; 10-05-10 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 05:04 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bluwagun
I belive I have a similar problem. My car currently has 132k miles, I had the front end suspension bushings, ball joints and tie rods inspected, they found nothing damage or worned out, they did notice that the LBJ were replaced. I've done Numerous car allignments and wheel balancing. I feel a consistant shake between the speeds of 55-62 mph which is coming from the steering wheel and at time's if I brake along that area of mph I also feel that shake in the steering wheel for a moment. I dont know if we share the same type of symptoms or problem. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

by the way I have a gs300, does that differ from the 400?
Old 10-06-10, 11:28 AM
Vincenza V
Driver School Candidate

"Does this apply to a GS300"--

I THINK the suspension stuff would, but I'm not sure. Same for the motor mount isse. I would wager YES. Reason being is this:

If Lexus build their $54,00 flagship GS400 model in 1999, with a 32 valve state of the art V8 (worlds fastest 4 door sedan in 1999-PERIOD), and that thing was the top model of the GS's at that time, with ALL the money they put into it, and it shakes like a earthquake-why wouldn't their more inexpensive models be prone to the same cheap rubber, and poor design?

There may be slightly different parts failing on the GS3, but I'm sure it's really close to the same suspension parts.
Old 10-28-10, 07:49 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Almost a month later, still shake-free OP? Anybody else done this to cure the problem w/ success?
Old 11-02-10, 11:02 AM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

I want to know too as I just replaced the bushings and got a new alignment and all that did was push the problem from 90km/h to 105km/h. Still shakes like a sonovabeyatch.

Quick Reply: All this-and still the shake???