Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotors and Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 05:55 AM
peehole813
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and Brake Pads

Hi all. I have an '09 IS350 and 31k miles on it.

I just took my car in for service and i've asked them to check my brakes in addition to the service because i heard a squeeking sound. He said that he'll probably beed to replace my rotors bc he said he's never seen an IS go past 30k mile with the same rotors. I usually accelerate hard, but i never really brake hard...

I'm not really familiar on how often we are supposed to change these..... could you guys give me some insight....anything would help really....

also,

1. Shouldn't i just replace the brake pads instead of the rotors.....in theory shouldn't the rotors be okay so long as metal from the pads hasn't destroyed it yet....

2. If i do need to replace the rotors, i assume i need to replace the pads as well..?

3. If i replace the front rotors/pads....do i need to replace the rear as well?

Thanks,
Old 10-10-10, 07:41 AM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? At 30k?

Did he say how bad the rotors were or if they were wearing unevenly due to scores through them? If the pads were worn down so bad past the warning mark then you could have scored them and damaged them.

My experience has never had to change rotors that soon. Maybe with these cars it's different for some reason but with the muscle cars I've owned....heck, I haven't had to buy new rotors YET. I've had the rotors turned but haven't had to buy new ones. Well...except to upgrade to slotted and drilled on one of them.

As for replacing pads, I will never hesitate to do that. Better to be able to stop on fresh pads than to NOT and ruin the rotors.
Old 10-10-10, 08:58 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It's all in the measurements...brake pad thickness and rotor thickness...have them give you the specs, and if pads and rotors are below minimum spec, change them both...you can find these specs in the suspension & brakes section...

Only replace what needs to be replaced, it is not common practice to just go ahead and replace rear brakes at the same time...
Old 10-10-10, 08:59 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peehole813
Hi all. I have an '09 IS350 and 31k miles on it.

I just took my car in for service and i've asked them to check my brakes in addition to the service because i heard a squeeking sound. He said that he'll probably beed to replace my rotors bc he said he's never seen an IS go past 30k mile with the same rotors. I usually accelerate hard, but i never really brake hard...

I'm not really familiar on how often we are supposed to change these..... could you guys give me some insight....anything would help really....

also,

1. Shouldn't i just replace the brake pads instead of the rotors.....in theory shouldn't the rotors be okay so long as metal from the pads hasn't destroyed it yet....

2. If i do need to replace the rotors, i assume i need to replace the pads as well..?

3. If i replace the front rotors/pads....do i need to replace the rear as well?

Thanks,
Is this a Lexus dealer??

Never seen an IS go past 30k with the same rotors That's a load of crap my friend. It is possible that your rotors are worn but highly unlikley. I would get a second opinion for sure. Again, saying that he had never seen one go past 30k is just crazy talk. I would not let that person get withing 10 feet of my car based on that statement.

Advice: Go to another dealer or shop for sure.

I would be floored to hear that is was a Lexus shop telling you that line of crap. If so, you should report that person to corporate.

Again, I am not saying that your rotors might not be worn. What I am saying is, a person telling you that all IS rotors are spent by 30K miles is not being honest with you. Because of that, I would not let that person or shop touch my car even IF the rotors were worn!!!

Good luck!

Last edited by golfproatl; 10-10-10 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-10-10, 02:02 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Anyone can tell me what is rotors minimum spec, and how do I check it