Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 09:40 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SnoopyBQ
ummm... any reason for that??
Probably because unless you are planning on running the car in autocross or frequently go down mountain passes, you don't need the benefit of cross drilling or slotting. Also, since most modern rotors have a cooling channel in them, this significantly negates any need for it. On top of that, unless the drilling and slotting are done in the original machining and are made to have it done, it can cause problems with rotors cracking. I've seen it happen numerous times, and it's very dangerous. I have no specific experience with that ebay company, but do with others that deliver similar. I've seen some pretty disastrous results, too.

And for D-boi - how do you turn a rotor that is slotted? Drilled, I can see provided the cutting tool is wide enough, but everyone that I spoke with when starting to carry the brakes from several companies said that once slotted rotors are grooved they're done because the tool gets stuck in the slots. I suppose if the slots were very narrow and the tool is wide, it may be possible, but most parts places that I'm familiar with (both in AZ and MI where you are) use a 1/4" or 3/8" cutter that won't do that job.

Big Mack
Old 11-08-10, 09:46 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how they did it but it appeared to be the same process as in a regular rotor. He put it on the lathe and started cutting like he had done before on my other standard rotors. A few minutes later voila mint looking.
Old 11-09-10, 05:52 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ummm... any reason for that??
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-any-good.html

Read this thread and report back if you have any questions.
Old 11-10-10, 06:41 PM
SnoopyBQ
Pit Crew

ok now i have no idea what to get, i just want something that doesn't cost too much and works. What's a good online place to order rotors? how about Stoptech?
Old 11-18-10, 07:45 AM
skim07
Driver

ok now i have no idea what to get, i just want something that doesn't cost too much and works. What's a good online place to order rotors? how about Stoptech?
you should order from Dave Zeckhausen. He is very nice and he knows brakes like no other. I bought all my brake components from him for my bmw needs.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php

just get centric blanks...they are same as stoptech. same company. best thing you can do for your brake system is bedding them when you first install them. they'll last longer, quieter, better performing, etc.

Last edited by skim07; 11-18-10 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 06:35 AM
100bajan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skim07
you should order from Dave Zeckhausen. He is very nice and he knows brakes like no other. I bought all my brake components from him for my bmw needs.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php

just get centric blanks...they are same as stoptech. same company. best thing you can do for your brake system is bedding them when you first install them. they'll last longer, quieter, better performing, etc.
What is "bedding"?
Old 11-28-10, 12:15 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D-Boi
^^^^Ding ding ding ding ding. Best Rotors i have ever purchased for any of the 8 cars I have owned since i discovered brakemotive. On this GS i have had them for about 3.5 years and they are perfect. I had to turn the rear rotors once because the car sat for a few months and it created rust on the rotor(people said you cant turn drilled and slotted but yes you can). They also come with powerstop evolution ceramic pads which are good enough. You wont be disappointed, vie had them on my GS on my v8 mustang on my Yukon, Jeep, 300c, and theyre perfect.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories

there you go 194 bucks for all 4 rotors with pads shipped
im guessing these will NOT fit on a 99 I was under the assumption 98-05 used all the same fitments
Old 02-13-11, 11:16 AM
billzblaze
Rookie

NAPA anybody??
Old 03-13-11, 01:09 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Default Use grease!!!!!

I received my Brembo Blank rotors and OEM pads for the rear this past week and did the install yesterday. As most here know, this is a simple project to replace rotors and brake pads but removing the rotors was a real PITA for me. Just to backtrack a little, I had OEM rotors and pads put on the rear back in July of '07. I had to continuously bang the hell out of the rotors to get them off because of rust build-up on the backside of them. It was long, annoying and of course pretty loud. I did not put the rotors and pads on back in '07 but chances are the person who did it did not put grease in back of the rotors. Anyhow I smeared a little anti-seize so that I don't have to go through this again. So guys if doing this on your own, use some grease or anti-seize in back of the rotors to save yourself a headache and wasted time.

On a good note, so far I like the Brembo/OEM pad combo. As soon as I tap the brakes I can feel the pads biting the rotors very well. I just want to see if I can get the same lifespan with these.