Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dealer refusing to do TSIB update on F sport springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 01:44 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer refusing to do TSIB update on F sport springs?

Anyone have any insight? My car is at the dealer right now for the valve spring recall and they're refusing to do the TSIB for the f sport rear springs because they claim it's not covered if they cannot verify a Lexus dealer installed them. I called Lexus corporate and they're looking into it but WTF. I have a Lexus car with Lexus springs that they acknowledge have a problem and they're still refusing to replace them. Besides opening a case up with Lexus, what else can I do?
Old 10-21-10, 02:30 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I spoke to the dealership about upgrading my suspension, they told me that if I had it done by the Lexus dealer the car's warranty will follow the add ons.

Having them do a bit of work a little while ago, they do put it on your car's service records that it was done by them. Upon inspection of the work order, I asked them..."so what difference does it make if you guys do it or if Joe Schmoe down the street does it? It's F-Sport and that is your product, right?" He replied that anything could go wrong if it wasn't done by them. Sometimes people will forget necessary steps in installation, and that could affect other things. For example. If someone says they are hearing weird noises from the suspension and they bring it in for warranty work...well it's not going to be covered if Joe Schmoe cut the springs or put them in wrong. They will not warranty a part because they don't know what other people could have done to it.

But then again a dealer near me is notorious for messing up people's cars...I will never take MINE there.
Old 10-21-10, 02:48 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it could go wrong if the dealer does it too, and chance is much higher :P.

I can live with the noise, and may be it will become a recall in the near future just like a few that are going on? :P
Old 10-21-10, 04:19 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

im gonna be honest if you didnt get it installed at lexus your just wasting your time but you might get lucky if you try another stealership. By the way the spring are not made by lexus there made for them.
Old 10-21-10, 09:58 PM
Micaiah

That is correct. It's contracted out and Lexus has the right to license their name on it. Same with the shocks, rims and BBK...well, the F Sport line. But because their name is on it, technically, it is their product.
Old 10-22-10, 04:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

well the main question is, did you have them installed at a lexus dealer? if so just print out your invoice and show it to them. if you had it done outside of the dealer then i think your sol. just because its a lexus product doesnt mean they will honor a warranty especially if it was installed by an independent installer.
Old 10-22-10, 06:48 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

they were not installed by a lexus dealer but then given that logic, if they don't want to warranty the labor, then they should exchange the new springs with the old ones and I'll do the labor myself.

This is crazy. If they're going to say that "They could have not been installed properly" then why don't they put my car on a lift, remove the rear wheels and LOOK at them. It's very easy to LOOK at the rear springs and shocks to review the installation. If they were not properly installed then I'd cover the time it took them to remove the rear wheels and visually inspect them.

This is what I get for buying an expensive toyota. I'd bet anything if I had a mercedes and installed AMG suspension on it, mercedes would cover it.
Old 10-22-10, 06:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

How long ago did you get it installed? It states the warranty right on the paperwork. If you buy and install at a Lexus dealer it is covered under the car's warranty. If you purchase from a vendor (Lexus dealer?) and install it elsewhere, you're covered for 12 months (I believe).

I bought it from Sewell when they were having their intro sale and installed at my local dealer which was a plus because I had leaky shocks that they replaced under warranty that day too.
Old 10-22-10, 07:17 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

I bought them from a guy on here. I have the same right rear clunk everyone complains about on these springs. I'm not trying to pull one over. Just because I didn't buy them new or have them installed by a Lexus deals doesn't mean I can't have the same problem and considering I have the exact symptoms of what the TSIB refers to, I think it's fair to at least look at the car to make sure they were not installed incorrectly and then if they were not, replace them. Or I'd lay out the cash for the new ones and take a refund back when i returned the old ones.
Old 10-22-10, 09:41 AM
Micaiah

Did you ask them to at least look at it then? Just let them know you want the new ones according to TSIB and you will pay for the labor. That's IF the current springs are the ones that are ON the TSIB.
Old 10-22-10, 01:11 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only alternative is to buy the TEIN Coil Silencers that go over the springs and are supposed to make them not clunk anymore.

Good luck, NY dealers suck and try to blame you for everything.

Damn service clerk tried to blame me for a check engine light after a tsib they did and said it could be my aftermarket (fsport...) intake. Dont even know thier own products
Old 10-22-10, 10:51 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sucks. When i had my F-Sport springs i had another shop install them and them when i saw the recall for the springs i just took it in and they swapped it out no questions ask 2nd option either try another dealership or find the TSB and print it out which is what i also did.

Last edited by 600rr05; 10-28-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 11:51 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I asked them to at least look at it, they don't want to do anything. Dealers in NY just SUCK, plain and simple.

Anyone's that has been in the same shoes want to give me their vin # so I can prove to Lexus corporate that this has been done before? I'd would just need your vin # to show them the service history. Let me know.
Old 10-23-10, 03:02 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Did you ask them to at least look at it then? Just let them know you want the new ones according to TSIB and you will pay for the labor. That's IF the current springs are the ones that are ON the TSIB.
Problem is, if they weren't installed by a Lexus dealer, and he bought them second hand and they're more than a 1 year old total, they have no warranty on them at all.

Hence the dealer isn't obligated to do anything for him at all, even provide the new parts for free if he covers the labor.... unless this TSIB is different from all others I've seen where they only apply if under warranty.

If the springs are less than a year old but not Lexus-installed then they'd be obligated to give him replacement parts, but not cover the labor cost.

Other dealers might have been nice to folks who ought not have been covered, but his isn't required to.

If he complains enough to Lexus corporate they might be willing to comp him the parts though, but again they're not required to.

This is the risk you take buying stuff without a warranty.
Old 10-23-10, 06:15 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

When there is a warranty on something, it's there to fix something in case it breaks in a specific amount of time.

When there is a TSIB on something, it's acknowledged that there is a problem with something being that it was incorrectly manufactured.

When there is a recall on something, it's acknowledged that there is a problem with something being that it was incorrectly manufactured. Difference is, it may be a major detrimental issue that can affect safety and/or it may be a problem for a LARGE group of people.

So now that we got that worked out, being that gen 1 F sport springs are on a minimal amount of vehicles in the grand scheme of things, a recall was not needed and would be hard to trace anyway. So they released a TSIB. It shouldn't matter who/when they were installed. If the signs and symptoms are the same AND they were installed correctly, then they should be taken care of. If they don't want to eat the labor, FINE, then replace the springs over the counter.

Quick Reply: Dealer refusing to do TSIB update on F sport springs?