Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ls400 rotors rubbing on outer tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 01:12 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you 100% sure that rotor is seated on the hub properly? Pull it off and make 100% sure there's nothing holding it off in one area, so that it doesn't settle totally flat against the hub. If that's ok, then take your rotor an set it on a machined flat surface like a cast table-saw deck or a drill press, jointer, etc. If you don't have that, maybe try a granite countertop. If it's really as warped as that video looked, it would rock back and forth and be unable to sit flat on the flat surface.

A bit more work for you, but maybe you could swap rotors from side to side on the front of your car just to see if they both rock like that on the same side, or if it follows the rotor to the other side of the car.

btw, if those are cheap rotors, I highly doubt they have a specific orientation for rotation (L vs R).
Old 10-23-10, 01:17 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

They actually do have a specific orientation because of the direction the slots and drilled holes are faced. Il go double check and test the rotor.
Old 10-23-10, 01:25 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

So the rotor came with a designation of L and R ?

Look closely at them and see if the slots actually lean the same way on both sides of the car.

Hey, I just thought of something. Before you go too far... Take 3 lugnuts and install them over the rotor and tighten them enough to securely hold that rotor while you spin it. It could just be that with the wheel off, it's not being held back against the hub. There may be nothing wrong with it!
Old 10-23-10, 01:31 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

G/L man, I'm gonna hit the sack.
Old 10-23-10, 01:41 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Well i tried the other front rotor and it does the same so my hub or whatever it is is the problem, but would changing that out still put my rotors so close to the outer tie rod? I had to adjust the alignment screw(dumb idea) just to get some clearance.
Old 10-23-10, 10:45 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I just went out and looked, and from what I can tell, that balljoint on yours looks totally wack. It should be stacked up straight, one half on top of the other with the same center line, not all laid over and looking like two separate pieces with two different axis'. Plus, it appears the underside of the upper half of that joint (part of the steering knuckle assy) is bent at an angle. I think it should be level on the bottom; not tilted like that. Look at your other side of your car, compare it for yourself, and see what you think. I guess it's possible that your hub/steering knuckle assy is bent up in addition to that balljoint. Keep in mind, I didn't pull the wheel off to get a perfect look at it, I just looked through the wheel spokes and around the tire with the steering wheel at full left lock, so take what I say with all appropriate consideration.

btw, did you ever use some lugnuts when you tested for rotor warpage?
Old 10-23-10, 11:29 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

yeah i tightened two lugnuts on the rotors. I even double checked the rotors and hub to make sure nothings in the way. So do you think the that the outer tie rod where they adjust the alignment has been moved too outwards which is causing that out of whack placement of my balljoint?
Old 10-23-10, 11:37 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

No, I don't think that would do it. Adjusting the tie rod shouldn't offset the balljoint like that, it should just push the steering knuckle out (negative toe). I think there's been some damage to your car as some point.

EDIT: Did you ever get a chance to compare it to the other side of your car?

Last edited by good2go; 10-23-10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 12:21 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its either wrong size tie rod ends or messed up steering rack bushings. Or you just some banged up LCA. Like good2go said has there ever been damage to your car ?
Old 10-23-10, 12:51 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Your outer tie rod could be bent at the ball joint.
Old 10-23-10, 01:17 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Well from when ive had the car ive never gotten into any accidents. Im sure my car at some point has been in some sort of accident as the front end doesnt all line up very well.

From my point of view, i cant really tell the difference on each side. When i took the car for an alignment about a year ago, sears told me my passenger side inner tie rod was bent so i replaced that. They never told me anything else. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to reinstall the tie rod on the ball joint and try to make it sit better?
Old 10-23-10, 01:26 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

The control arms dont look damaged in any way(doesnt mean its not). Il pull the inner tie rod off to see if theres anything that looks bent.
Old 10-23-10, 03:17 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Well from when ive had the car ive never gotten into any accidents. Im sure my car at some point has been in some sort of accident as the front end doesnt all line up very well.

From my point of view, i cant really tell the difference on each side. When i took the car for an alignment about a year ago, sears told me my passenger side inner tie rod was bent so i replaced that. They never told me anything else. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to reinstall the tie rod on the ball joint and try to make it sit better?
Hmmm.....I don't like the sound of that. For the sake of comparison, take a look at these pics I "borrowed" from a steering rack R&R thread:

See any difference now??????????
Old 10-23-10, 03:30 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Yeah mines is more offset to the side. My passenger side one is off a little, compared to my driver side. Well i took off the outer tie rod installed it on the wheel side first then i installed it on the inner rod. I have more clearance now but its not a permanent fix. I will have my alignment done at firestones for the lifetime. I have to take the car out of town where i go to school on the weekdays and try to figure out whats freaking wrong with this thing. I cant see anything being bent or anything. )=
Old 10-23-10, 03:36 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Do you still have that wobble in the rotor when you rotate it? I can't imagine how bad that must feel on your brake calipers. DID you ever drive it like that? If so, how did it feel?

Quick Reply: ls400 rotors rubbing on outer tie rod