Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I don't know how you slammed guy's do it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 06:58 PM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know how you slammed guy's do it...

Hi everyone,
tonight I was driving home & I decided to take a shortcut to get there. Its dark & the road had various uneven & lumpy spots, so I'm doing my best to avoid them. My shocks are wearing out causing my cars ride height to sag & look slightly lowered; anyway I hit an uneven spot at about 10MPH head on and I heard a grinding noise. I pull over to see the damage, with my flashlight and the only damage I can see is 2 metal hose lines beneath the radiator area, they seem to be bent. It's to dark to see what lines they are but I suspect power steering because on my way back home the steering was stiffer than normal. Even while turning the wheel feels clumsy. I'll have to see what the damage is when I get to the shop in the morning. For you guys that are lowered or slammed how the hell do you maintain your cars profile in everyday situations?
Forgot to mention its a 92 SC400 & nothing appears to be leaking. Knock on wood I hope its nothing serious.

Last edited by 718murdoc; 10-26-10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 07:30 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

That's ac down there and the crossover p/s hoses on th sc400. Prob did a tiny bit of damage. Check your a/c.
Need better suspension and better lighting
Old 10-26-10, 09:12 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Damn dude, idk how I do it. Live in Florida (less hills and ****) I guess? lol. My radiator support gets bashed into everything though
Old 10-26-10, 09:29 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

been driving lowered cars for years, just have to really know the roads your on, it's funny i let my buddy drive my car and the whole time i'm like " watch out for this dip here on the right" "okay there's a pothole on this street up there" "alright slow down for this bump up here"

lol when i drive i don't even notice, but i guess i'm just pre-programmed already..

I will say though if you drive a lowered car for along time you still do get the occasional incident. In my Integra i was driving a rainy night and was unable to see a big pothole due to the water filling it up and it was dark, i hit it and there was a big chunk of rock in it that busted my oil pan.
Old 10-26-10, 09:50 PM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you just gotta know youre surroundings and what paths to take. before i put my car on the ground i was already planning my work routes and such weeks before i had even installed my wheels and coilovers. like aka paco said, even with experience something is bound to happen. the first time i bottomed out my car w/o expecting it, i freaked out like my car had been lit on fire. now, im used to it and that crazy grinding from speedbumps and driveways doesnt even phase me besides, major important things like your oil pan and your tranny reservoir are almost a good 2 inches higher than your exhaust and subframe so you dont have much to worr about anyway unless you do something crazy like offroad or something
Old 10-27-10, 07:20 AM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

yea all the dips and holes are preprogrammed in my head so its not that hard anymore...

new territory though is a different deal...
Old 10-27-10, 07:41 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Default Updated photos...

I brought my car to the shop this morning hoping it was minor damage...

I guess I was wrong; I cracked the rack & pinion in half. The shop manager said I should be able to make a claim against the city but I know it will be a hassle so i'm not going to bother.
The second pic was of the actual rack but there was too much glare in the shot.
Old 10-27-10, 07:50 AM
718murdoc
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for your support I really appreciate it. My next major mod will definitely be a skid plate to protect those vital areas.
Old 10-27-10, 08:21 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i live in Florida a.k.a. Home Of The Flattest and Smoothest Roads in America!!! hahaha

but i still do scrape here and there..
Old 10-27-10, 08:41 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that looks bad. I scrape more with my stock LS400 than my slammed z. Probably because I drive cautiously when I'm in the Z and carelessly in the LS.
Old 10-27-10, 10:05 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

holy crap man that blows!!!!!!!!

I have never tried to file anything against the city, cause i figured it isn't worth the hassle..

A friend of mine did though when he hit a pothole and bent a rim, he got a check but i think it did take like 3 months
Old 10-27-10, 10:06 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

That doesn't look good.

My SC was slammed for a while and it was impossible to drive anywhere. Our roads in Oklahoma are pretty bad. Planning out every trip before you go anywhere helps. Don't take unfamiliar roads.
Old 10-27-10, 10:26 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow that sucks, i never had something like that happen to me..

but pretty much like what everyone else said. Once you lower your car you will automatically know what ways you should drive and where the potholes are dips are its just "programmed" into our heads

Can you show us a picture on how low you are?
Old 10-27-10, 10:47 AM
Kyle1JZ

Man that sucks. Thats why Im scared to drop my car. The roads up here in canada arent to great.
Old 10-27-10, 10:48 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang that sucks man.

PM Aliga for the hookup on a rack and pinion

Quick Reply: I don't know how you slammed guy's do it...