Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question for those in the brake GB....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02 | 08:37 AM
minh
Pole Position

I'm not part of the group buy, but I did just get new rotors. So do they need to be turned before installing them? They are cross-drilled and slotted. Can anyone do them or do I have to take them somewhere special? Thanks.

Minh

BTW bravo, turning the rotors usually costs about 5 dollars a piece... $20 for the set of 4

Last edited by minh; 07-30-02 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-31-02 | 09:43 AM
minh
Pole Position

anyone?
Old 07-31-02 | 09:56 AM
Zarlov
Driver School Candidate

From what I've heard/seen from friends, turning the rotors shouldn't be very expensive. You just have to find a competent machine shop. A friend did his "normal" rotors for about $12@. Granted, they weren't slotted or cross-drilled. I have no idea if the cost/complexity goes up if they're cross drilled and/or slotted.

This brings up a question I had. . . Do the Lexus pads dust a lot? I'm selling my Bimmer for the Lexus and BMW is notorious (as well as Audi and VWs) for brake pad dusting. I have to clean off my wheels at least once a week or they are almost black with dust. Hopefully I won't have the same problem here. . .

-Z.
Old 07-31-02 | 01:02 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Default Does anyone know why???

Why do you have your rotors turned???
Old 07-31-02 | 04:33 PM
minh
Pole Position

IIRC, the OEM Lexus pads do no dust that much. The TRD pads dust a lot. You can also consider switching to EBC Green Stuff pads (get them from tire rack). From what I understand, they are extremely dust FREE. As far as why you would turn the rotors. It's to even the surface of the rotor so that the brake pads mate and wear evenly. Also, by resurfacing the rotors you can prevent/eliminate braking vibrations. Now, back to my original questions.

1. Do brand new rotors need to be resurfaced before installing?

2. Do I need to take crossdrilled/slotted rotors somewhere special to be resurfaced?

3. Also, which way should the slots turn when installed?

Thanks

minh

Last edited by minh; 07-31-02 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-31-02 | 05:45 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

well since no one is going to show pics to see if the black stuff is left on the pads, i guess i will be my own guinea pig. ill have pics for you guys tomorrow........

Doc
Old 07-31-02 | 05:53 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Sorry guys~ I stated alot of panic here. I had to turn my rotors after about 1K miles after the initial installation of the TRD setup. My rotors must have been slightly warped right out of the box. I've put on over 5K miles since then, and I haven't had a problem. Some technicians will actually turn the rotors before installing them just to prevent this from happening. They say it's a 1 in 8 chance of happening (Being warped or imperfect out of the box). I will say that I am very happy with the performance of the kit. But, IT DOES create a huge amount of brake dust. Also, streaks do appear on the rotors from the pads on this kit. It's just slightly more than normal rotors and pads.
Old 07-31-02 | 06:13 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DrRick
well since no one is going to show pics to see if the black stuff is left on the pads, i guess i will be my own guinea pig. ill have pics for you guys tomorrow........

Doc
Doc - Thanks for volunteering to be the guinea pig I have an appointment to have mine installed on Saturday...I very curious to see your results
Old 07-31-02 | 10:05 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Default Geez

Hey guys, I installed the stock upgrade kit last Saturday. Took about 5 hours, the clips in the front pads are a pain in the but!
And I did not turn my rotors- they are brand new, why should I?
The brakes are about set-up now (after about 400 miles) and feel great..almost too sensitive! No vibration, but sometimes a low growl noise that (I think) is coming from the slots. I did notice the pads were not green but black.

I'm confused about the smearing? my pads do not produce any smearing. Did you guys get the big brake kit...is that the one that's smearing???
Old 07-31-02 | 10:21 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Default Re: Geez

Originally posted by GS430lvr
I'm confused about the smearing? my pads do not produce any smearing. Did you guys get the big brake kit...is that the one that's smearing???
I'm pretty sure that 1SICK ordered the stock upgrade...anyway, it's good to know that the black smearing does not necessarily occur. I'm still curious as to why 1SICK rotors are being smeared
Old 08-01-02 | 08:02 AM
JacobT

I've been thru all these, so here are the answers for you.

1. No. But new rotors do need to be broken in. After installation, take the car out and try several 40-5mph brakes. Apply the brake gentelly, never make it to a full stop to avoid rotors warped.

2. YES. Brake chains such as Midas, can not resurface x-drilled/slotted rotors. You need to go to a machine shop with special carbride tips to cut the rotors.

3. Either way will work. If you have x-drilled rotors then you should install them accroding to the vent directions.

Hope this helps,

- Jacob

Originally posted by minh
IIRC, the OEM Lexus pads do no dust that much. The TRD pads dust a lot. You can also consider switching to EBC Green Stuff pads (get them from tire rack). From what I understand, they are extremely dust FREE. As far as why you would turn the rotors. It's to even the surface of the rotor so that the brake pads mate and wear evenly. Also, by resurfacing the rotors you can prevent/eliminate braking vibrations. Now, back to my original questions.

1. Do brand new rotors need to be resurfaced before installing?

2. Do I need to take crossdrilled/slotted rotors somewhere special to be resurfaced?

3. Also, which way should the slots turn when installed?

Thanks

minh
Old 08-01-02 | 09:40 AM
minh
Pole Position

Thanks for the answers Jacob
Old 08-01-02 | 09:50 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Ok guys later today I will post detailed pictures of the group buy brake parts.. Look for a new thread..

DrRick,

Thanks buddy for posting pics of the installed look after the silver cad plating is burnt off..

I'm getting the parts installed tomorrow at my Lexus dealer.. They worked me a deal to install all new 4 rotors and pads all the way around (w/ new shims and fitting kit) plus installation of the SS lines with new brake fluid for $250 CDN + tax.. All parts supplied by me minus the brake fluid.. I think its a good deal and I get my guys at Lexus who I trust to do the work..
Old 09-08-02 | 02:23 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Default Pictures of what I got from Carson

Guys,

Very few SC people got in on this group buy except me. I have questions similar to those in this thread and I have pictures! If any of you nice GS people would be so kind as to take a look at my pictures and quick questions in the SC forum, please see the below link.

Thanks,
Ryan

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=57136
Old 09-08-02 | 03:15 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Default Some answers

Turning cross drilled/slotted rotors is no different than turning any other rotor.
Why would it? It is just a rotor with holes in it. No change in rotor composition.
I have turned 100's of cross drilled rotors with a standard Ammco/Accurturn/Hunter machines with standard bits. Never an issue.
Carbide bits are becoming increasingly popular but not necessary to turn these rotors. Any shop can do it.

Rotors should be checked for run out in determining whether they should be turned.

Painting brake pads is a common technique used by small or budget vendors. They do nothing for noise and can smear rotors when a flack gets in between the rotor and pad. In fact they can "add" to low rolling brake noise by rubbing on the rotors producing an annoying squeal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-08-02 at 03:44 AM.