Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question for those in the brake GB....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02 | 04:46 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Default Question for those in the brake GB....

just received my brake kit from carson today. i was concerned that the pads werent the greenstuff that EBC sells, but rather another model, still sold by EBC. i talked to angel at carson (maybe the most patient person ever) and he told me that they are the greenstuff pads, only painted black. my question is this.......after seeing 1sicklex's setup (same brakes) i noticed that his rotors have black smeared across the surface. i am assuming that this is the paint. does anyone else who got in on the GB, have this same issue? wouldnt the paint degrade some of the braking efficiency? also, and this is just preference, i dont think it looks as nice with the black streak along the rotor. let me know......

Doc
Old 07-27-02 | 12:09 AM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

Hey Doc i got in on the brake GB and had the same question. Yea angel told me the same thing he told you, i don't understand why the pads were painted black? When i got my package i noticed my front pads came in a box that seem to be opened because my rear pads were in the same box but shrink wrapped so if you find anything also please let us know
Old 07-27-02 | 07:18 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GS3-Kid858
When i got my package i noticed my front pads came in a box that seem to be opened because my rear pads were in the same box but shrink wrapped so if you find anything also please let us know
When I picked mine up from Angel, I noticed that the box that the front pads are in was already open also. It didn't really concern me because the contents were there.

I am concerned about the paint on the rotor issue...I hate have to go from dealing with rust on stock rotors to dealing with paint on the aftermarket rotors.

I have not installed mine yet...maybe different pads is the answer
Old 07-27-02 | 07:56 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GunnerMac

I have not installed mine yet...maybe different pads is the answer
well that would suck. especially since we already have brand new pads. on 1sick's rotors it looked almost as if it was oil or crayon smeared on it. not cool at all in my opinion. i know someone has to have put them on and can give a definitive answer on this.......

Doc
Old 07-28-02 | 04:52 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

^bump^

did no one else who got the brakes, install them yet? i need to know if i need to get new pads and send the others back. help,.,,,,,,,,,

Doc
Old 07-28-02 | 05:22 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Hey guys, the black paint on the pads are to prevent squeeling noise during low speed braking. Some of us had experienced problems when we bought our Brake kits from Carson a while back. I am assuming everyone is getting the same slotted rotors that we got before. IT IS IMPORTANT to make sure and turn the rotors once or so to prevent rotor warpage. I did not do this at first, then after 1,000 miles I had the worst brake vibration ever. I had to pull off all of the rotors and turn them to correct the problem. So save yourself some time and have the rotors turned before you install them the first time.
Old 07-28-02 | 05:50 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

So, does the paint stay on the rotors as long as you are using these pads or does it wear off after a while

Last edited by GunnerMac; 07-28-02 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-28-02 | 05:58 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

It should wear off after not too long. I used to use this trick on my past cars when doing custom painting. I have never heard of paint to prevent noise though
Old 07-28-02 | 06:21 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

I've never heard of turning new rotors...that should not be necessary.

Ryan
Old 07-28-02 | 06:42 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

The black stuff is not really paint... It is applied like paint with a small brush, but it isn't as thick as paint. Does anyone have pictures of the black streaks on their rotors? It may not be this substance that is rubbing off. I had streaks, but not for a long time now. Most dealerships will actually turn brake rotors even if they are new out of the box just to prevent premature warpage from happening (and noise). If your brake upgrade kit was installed by the dealership, they may or may not have turned them at the time of installation. Has anyone installed these rotors themselves without turing them? What kind of results have you had? Oh, you should buy a new "shim" kit from Lexus for both the front and rear calipers to ensure a tight fit and limit brake noise, it's not required though.
Old 07-28-02 | 07:56 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

So does the actual green stuff brake pad leave any marks? Does anyone know how long the marks will stay on the rotors? Hopefully not long, there's a car show coming up in August...

Aloha
Old 07-28-02 | 11:39 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

I'll check my rotors in the morning... I may have the green pads still, I'm not sure. I'll take a picture and post it in the afternoon.
Old 07-29-02 | 02:12 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

wait wait, what does "turning the rotors" mean?
Old 07-29-02 | 11:17 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Sorry couldn't get the picture today, will try tomorrow. "turning" the rotors is resurfacing them. It's done on a machine that spins the rotors while shaving a little bit of the metal on each side.
Old 07-30-02 | 03:13 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LVgs400
Sorry couldn't get the picture today, will try tomorrow. "turning" the rotors is resurfacing them. It's done on a machine that spins the rotors while shaving a little bit of the metal on each side.
thanks for the answer. but this should be done before the initial install? doesn't resurfacing cost a bit of money?

Quick Reply: Question for those in the brake GB....