Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What are the largest "safe" spacers I can use ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 08:47 AM
Codfish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the largest "safe" spacers I can use ?

I dont quite know my offset but the 18" wheels fit in the wheel well (even while the car is dropped 2") with no problem.

Questions:

How safe is it to run a large spacer 1/2 inch or larger ?
What kind should I look for ?
What can I expect to pay ? (I like the cheep ones that are just round with holes because I dont know any better)

Please give me your input, I ride with kids in the morning and safety is always on my mind...

Peace and Thanx
Wayne
Old 11-05-10, 09:32 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

A lot of people will tell you what you can get away with, with the inference that it is safe, but there is a distinction. Personally, I wouldn't run any spacers if it was at all avoidable. Spacers create a second slip plane between your hub and wheel, which is never a good thing for your wheel studs. As the distance of that second slip plane gets further from the hub, the side forces on the wheel studs become extreme; people can and do get away with it, but it is definitely NOT safe. That being said, if I had to space my wheels, I would ONLY use a good quality wheel adapter (instead of a spacer) or I would get different wheels. I wouldn't want an adapter that was too thin or too thick; IMHO, there is an optimal range. It needs to be made of billet aluminum, have a hubcentric hub flange, and use quality studs. If it's too thin (less that 20mm or so), it usually requires you to either shorten your existing studs, replace them with shorter ones, or use wheels with reliefs for them to stick out. If they are too thick, well . . . I'd only be comfortable using them at slow speeds, offroading in a 4x4 maybe

$.02

EDIT: I see people below referring to them as "bolt-on spacers"; same concept. I've always known them as "adapters".

Last edited by good2go; 11-07-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 03:12 PM
d1trainee
Pole Position

I've used hundreds of spacers over the years, drifting and faulting. If anything puts stress on the studs it's driffin!!! Anyways slip on spacers on a sc300.... 5mm on stock studs. I'd recommend bolt ons . 15mm or more depends on clearance in the fender.
Old 11-05-10, 04:41 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are putting anymore shear (side forces good2go referred to) on the studs than the factory setup then it cannot be speculated as safe. However, if you are running hubcentric rings that are about ten mm thick as mine measure (axially not radially), then you will probably be safe with a 5mm slip-on because 5mm will still be on the ring. Key word - Probably. If you drive hard enough to melt and crack hubcentric rings in their orthodox setup, which some people do, then you will not be safe with half the bearing area missing in this scenario, but then again you wouldn't be safe with all of it. Maybe they should make better rings.
Old 11-05-10, 05:54 PM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get spacers, I recommend them being hubcentric (60.1mm bore). And if using aftermarket wheels, get the hubcentric rings of the correct size for your application with it.

Slip-on hubcentric:
5mm with stock studs
Anything larger would require extended studs. Some people don't get the studs but remember, you only have so much threads on the stud.

Bolt-on hubcentric adaptors:
15mm or larger but make sure you have the indentations on the back of the wheel hub.

If you don't have the indentations, then get extended studs and use slip-on spacers. I wouldn't recommend cutting your studs just in case you remove them in the future.
Old 11-05-10, 09:50 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SH_JZZ30
If you get spacers, I recommend them being hubcentric (60.1mm bore). And if using aftermarket wheels, get the hubcentric rings of the correct size for your application with it.

Slip-on hubcentric:
5mm with stock studs
Anything larger would require extended studs. Some people don't get the studs but remember, you only have so much threads on the stud.

Bolt-on hubcentric adaptors:
15mm or larger but make sure you have the indentations on the back of the wheel hub.

If you don't have the indentations, then get extended studs and use slip-on spacers. I wouldn't recommend cutting your studs just in case you remove them in the future.

Take his advice.
I just got these 10mm spacers off Ebay. I was surprised with the quality. very good. I also ordered some 60mm studs to replace the stock 50mm. Maybe $110 for both spacers & studs.
(See almost last post)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-sc400-99.html
Old 11-05-10, 10:48 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops, for some reason I thought he was asking about slip-ons only.
Old 11-07-10, 01:50 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

get proper fitting wheels...