Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport-Springs-Only Didn't Work Too Well

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 09:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by is350wh
Decision Summary: It's sad that I have to spend SO much money to get a decent suspension and also fix the IS's wheel gap. What is really annoying is that there isn't even an available configuration (from Lexus) that will provide what BMW and Infiniti provide right off the lot:
a) "Normal" wheel gap (something that doesn't look like a stinkin' 4x4!).
b) A sporty suspension that won't float/bounce, but still provides a comfortable, non-punishing ride.
c) A front lip that won't hit most parking blocks when the car is lowered slightly to eliminate the wheel gap.
IMHO you get exactly all that with the OEM sport suspension.

True, I haven't tried the Stock Sport configuration. In fact, I don't think I have even seen one in person. They are hard to find. Maybe that was the magic configuration. But, even with that one, the pictures I have seen on this site indicate that there is still a lot of wheel gap.
Sport suspension is hard to find, that's why I special ordered... but I care a lot more about how my car actually rides, and handles, than about how the "wheel" gap looks... since I spent overwhelmingly more time inside the car than I do staring at the wheel wells from the outside.... if one just has to have the "slammed" look then coilovers seem the only way to go...

But I don't really confuse these two pictures in my mind-

http://users.deltacomm.com/kurtz/IMG_4395.JPG
My car, not the greatest pic for viewing wheel gap, but all I have handy

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/1190...e-Ram-2500.jpg
An actual 4x4

The "progressive" nature of the springs is VERY apparent. They feel great sometimes, soft other times, just right sometimes, awesome during performance SOMETIMES, and really harsh and unstable at other times. It's really wild..
And it's really why I have no interest in the F-sport stuff... I'm quite happy with the handling on the linear, predictable sport suspension shocks/springs setup with the only "handling" mods being the F-sport sways and better than OEM tires... and the ride remains pretty good without having to fear speed bumps or anything.
Old 11-10-10, 09:34 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kurtz, we have the same color
Old 11-13-10, 06:27 PM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kurtz: Yes, that second picture (the 4x4) is how my car used to look. Kidding, of course, but I do tend to build it up quite a bit in my mind.

It looks like the stock sport setup is definitely the way to go.

I have two days to change my mind. My installation is set for Tuesday morning.

So - If ANYONE else has the non-sport stock OEM springs + the F-Sport Shocks (Bilsteins), I would really appreciate your feedback. How does that combination feel and perform?

Thanks for your contributions, everyone. You guys know your stuff, and you're pretty funny, too. It trips me out that some of you have been active participants on this board for so long.
Old 02-27-11, 09:16 AM
Alantjai
Pole Position

And what did you finally do?

I am thinking of the 2011 model F-sport oem springs/shocks.....
Old 02-27-11, 09:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I'll post my 4x4 pic later.
Old 02-28-11, 02:22 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I didnt like the ride quality of the F-Sport springs/OEM shock combo at all. Put up with it for two years. This weekend they came off and in went my BC coilovers. They can and will get rid of ugly wheel gap, more if you want to go lower. With these coilovers, changing the height doesn't affect the shock travel. These things rides smooth too.
Old 03-07-11, 12:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Yea, I didnt like the ride quality of the F-Sport springs/OEM shock combo at all. Put up with it for two years. This weekend they came off and in went my BC coilovers. They can and will get rid of ugly wheel gap, more if you want to go lower. With these coilovers, changing the height doesn't affect the shock travel. These things rides smooth too.
How's the BC coilovers working for you? You probably have a few hundred miles on them by now.
Old 04-08-11, 12:11 PM
JONSOO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Wow. Just realized I have no head on decent shots of the gap. But here is what I DO have....sorry it's not that good. It's dark now and if I do it now pics won't come out well.

Sport package springs with 19 inch F sports wheels. Notice my tires are lower profile than yours so that widens my gap.

Yours looks much lower. I like the way yours sits. I love the handling of the set up I have though. None of what you describe in terms of wobbling or being unstable. This car sticks to the road like glue. Feels nice and heavy on the road and no harsh bump. You do feel the road, it's not a floaty feeling. But enough to know the car is sporty.
Is this a RWD? I have an AWD on 19's. Will new springs on OEM shocks fill the gap enough on an AWD with 19's?
Old 04-08-11, 12:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Mind the gap" sounds like something said by a British bus driver.
Old 06-18-11, 07:09 PM
dmk08
Intermediate

After installing my F-sport Shocks, Springs, and Sway bars over the past few weeks I have come to a few conclusions. I really pushed it hard for the first time tonight. Ride is obviously stiffer but still very nice.

A> My car should have come this way from the factory (i had sport) because I just feel like I'm driving a german car. (minus the steering wheel being so light)

B> I'm amazingly glad I didn't go coils. I would have never adjusted them. And I also wonder why people say coils handle better? I could see maybe like KW v3or HKS but I wouldn't think BCR or a lower end coil would. There is a point where being too low hurts.

C> The drop is perfect on 19" for a daily driver. No scrubbing at all even when I'm pushing it hard. The minor rubbing I had actually went away after installing the springs/shocks. Go figure.
Old 06-23-11, 07:18 PM
DenIS250
Pole Position

dmk can you post pics of how ur car looks after installation?
Old 06-24-11, 08:31 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Wow. Just realized I have no head on decent shots of the gap. But here is what I DO have....sorry it's not that good. It's dark now and if I do it now pics won't come out well.

Sport package springs with 19 inch F sports wheels. Notice my tires are lower profile than yours so that widens my gap.

Yours looks much lower. I like the way yours sits. I love the handling of the set up I have though. None of what you describe in terms of wobbling or being unstable. This car sticks to the road like glue. Feels nice and heavy on the road and no harsh bump. You do feel the road, it's not a floaty feeling. But enough to know the car is sporty.
Maciah, your car still look high with F-sport suspension to me? but mine is lower than that here some pics of my car

Old 06-24-11, 08:40 AM
dmk08
Intermediate

That is odd mine looks more like yours, ohio. I'll take some wheel gap pictures in a few minutes. I think mine is still settling a little in the front. But you probably also have less gap due to 20".

I really need to paint my front calipers....

Last edited by dmk08; 06-24-11 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-24-11, 10:09 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

but I run as same as stock diameter 25.2" front and 26.1" rear, I installed my car and my friend car, but my car sit lower because I found out when I reverse reinstall my springs, I put the dead end coils to the shrunk spot where original coil at, so that point is already lower, therefore my car is about 1/2 inch lower than my friend car even we're run the same wheels set up
Old 06-24-11, 07:14 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

she was showing Micaiah with the gap on Lexus sport package suspension. Micaiah has been dropped on F-Sport springs/shocks, so the gap is much smaller now just like you folks'.
The following users liked this post:
ChinGS3AC (01-25-17)

Quick Reply: F-Sport-Springs-Only Didn't Work Too Well