Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotors and Pads Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 06:06 PM
BelaRuski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors and Pads Question

I'm going to need new rear brake pads really soon here and was wondering if anyone has really good experience with a certain brand?

Which brake pad is the best bang for the buck? Is it OEM, Hawk, Rotora, Carbotech, StopTech, or another brand? Which one is going to reduce brake dust?

Another question is which Rotor is the best bang for the buck? And does one perform substantially beter? I had cross drilled Zimmerman rotors on my Audi and they were great. I'm still new to the tuning Lexus and haven't done too much to my car.

Thank you.
Old 11-05-10, 06:12 PM
BelaRuski
Driver School Candidate

http://www.assaultech.com/hawk/hawk_...s/g-50337.aspx

^Those seem to be a good choice, but almost seem over priced.

http://www.assaultech.com/brakes/bra...s/c-10043.aspx

^Also, have you guys ever ran any of these rotors?
Let me know what kind of brake pad & rotor set up you've had great luck with.

Thnaks again.
Old 11-06-10, 08:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BelaRuski
I'm going to need new rear brake pads really soon here and was wondering if anyone has really good experience with a certain brand?

Which brake pad is the best bang for the buck? Is it OEM, Hawk, Rotora, Carbotech, StopTech, or another brand? Which one is going to reduce brake dust?

Another question is which Rotor is the best bang for the buck? And does one perform substantially beter? I had cross drilled Zimmerman rotors on my Audi and they were great. I'm still new to the tuning Lexus and haven't done too much to my car.

Thank you.

Do you plan to track the car?

If not then blank OEM-equivalent rotors will be the best option for rotors (Centric is a popular, and inexpensive, choice there).

The OEM TSIB pads are the best pad choice for this case, and produce very little dust.

For street use nothing else will "perform" any better as for normal stopping distances the pads and rotors make no difference whatsoever.

For the track, slotted rotors are the way to go as they offer some advantages under severe conditions... but be aware that they eat pads about 25% faster than blanks do, which is why they're not a great choice for street use.

Drilled there's pretty much no good reason to ever get other than for a show car, as they're inferior to blanks on the street (that same 25% greater pad wear to no benefit) and inferior to slotted on the track (significantly increased likelihood of cracks developing in the rotor.
Old 11-07-10, 08:29 PM
BelaRuski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Do you plan to track the car?

If not then blank OEM-equivalent rotors will be the best option for rotors (Centric is a popular, and inexpensive, choice there).

The OEM TSIB pads are the best pad choice for this case, and produce very little dust.

For street use nothing else will "perform" any better as for normal stopping distances the pads and rotors make no difference whatsoever.

For the track, slotted rotors are the way to go as they offer some advantages under severe conditions... but be aware that they eat pads about 25% faster than blanks do, which is why they're not a great choice for street use.

Drilled there's pretty much no good reason to ever get other than for a show car, as they're inferior to blanks on the street (that same 25% greater pad wear to no benefit) and inferior to slotted on the track (significantly increased likelihood of cracks developing in the rotor.
Thank you for the input. I'll just all oem setup again. Probably would be nice to get a new caliper too. Cause mine are starting to get pretty ugly. Ill wait until spring for those though, its probaby going to snow next week here in MPLS.
Old 11-07-10, 08:30 PM
BelaRuski
Driver School Candidate

No point to make the calipers go through the snowy and salty season
Old 11-07-10, 11:05 PM
Legitek
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I am using R1concept rotors and brake pads. I recommend the rotors there, i have a slotted and drill rotors and perform absolutely outstanding. but i am not a big fan of their brake pads cause it give out brake dust. I would recommend hawk for brake pad.
Old 11-08-10, 07:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Legitek
Well I am using R1concept rotors and brake pads. I recommend the rotors there, i have a slotted and drill rotors and perform absolutely outstanding. but i am not a big fan of their brake pads cause it give out brake dust. I would recommend hawk for brake pad.
Not to pee on your ant farm, but assuming you're not tracking the car your rotors "perform" exactly the same as the OEM ones did, except that yours will be more prone to developing cracks because they have useless holes drilled in them... and they eat through pads 25% faster compared to blank rotors as well.

(both negatives remain true even if you are tracking the car, but the slots at least offer some advantages in that situation over blanks.. though the cracking due to the drilled bit gets a lot worse there)
Old 11-08-10, 08:25 AM
BelaRuski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not to pee on your ant farm, but assuming you're not tracking the car your rotors "perform" exactly the same as the OEM ones did, except that yours will be more prone to developing cracks because they have useless holes drilled in them... and they eat through pads 25% faster compared to blank rotors as well.

(both negatives remain true even if you are tracking the car, but the slots at least offer some advantages in that situation over blanks.. though the cracking due to the drilled bit gets a lot worse there)
That makes a ton of sense. My car wont be on a track ever. Thats why Im thinking the blank rotors will be fine.