Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BBK Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10 | 07:02 AM
kene
Lead Lap

I plan to get the brackets today and will start piecing the front setup in the next few weeks..I'll start another post too.
Old 11-12-10 | 08:58 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

isf brakes or z06 brakes wouldn't be hard to do on a 2gs...its just getting the caliper bracket made and the correct size rotors...Im sure you can use the ISF rotors and make the caliper bracket to fit. I had the z06 calipers front and rear done for my 01 silverado...a guy saw my setup and took my brackets and made them out of billet...now lots of silverado guys are rocking z06 brakes on their trucks.
Old 12-01-10 | 05:16 PM
kene
Lead Lap

To the dis-believers, and those just waiting on results..

First step for Zo6 Calip+ISF rotor combo

Old 12-02-10 | 07:43 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Keep us posted bro
Old 12-02-10 | 08:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kene
To the dis-believers, and those just waiting on results..

First step for Zo6 Calip+ISF rotor combo
i'll speak for myself here since i dunno how anyone else felt but its not like i was disbelieving you....i just wanted more info/pics.

keep us informed

also why not use the z06 rotor? how tall is it compared to the isf rotors? im 99% sure the z06 rotor would be significantly cheaper
Old 12-02-10 | 09:02 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
also why not use the z06 rotor? how tall is it compared to the isf rotors? im 99% sure the z06 rotor would be significantly cheaper
Most likely because of the hub bolt pattern. Lexus is 5X114.3, Corvette is 5X120.66, its the same reason why you can't direct mount Corvette wheels on 2nd Gen GS.

Like you, I'm VERY interested in seeing the results for this customization.
Old 12-02-10 | 09:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Most likely because of the hub bolt pattern. Lexus is 5X114.3, Corvette is 5X120.66, its the same reason why you can't direct mount Corvette wheels on 2nd Gen GS.
ahhhh ty that makes sense
Old 12-02-10 | 05:02 PM
kene
Lead Lap

oh, naw sakataj.. I wasn't referring to you.... there are others unseen on this post that were doubting. So I am trying this out thanx to a member on the forums.
Old 12-03-10 | 07:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

oh, naw sakataj.. I wasn't referring to you.... there are others unseen on this post that were doubting. So I am trying this out thanx to a member on the forums.
oh, i didnt figure you were, but i couldnt really make that statement without it reflecting like it was so i was just saying....

im def interested in this ESPECIALLY if i end up getting that motor. i have had this LS mini BBK at my house for a month or two and havent mounted them

any target price or ballpark price?they ONLY gonna do the fronts also?
Old 12-03-10 | 08:07 AM
kene
Lead Lap

I'm leaning toward the fronts only at the moment. If all goes well and it works out. I will list all the places to get everything you need at the lowest prices possible. So others can follow the same route. I'm not looking to make any profit, just trying to help the board out.

The biggest thing is getting the brackets(I don't foresee these going higher than 200$...I'm not the manufacturer so I don't know). I'll give it a shot, once it is shown that it works on the GS(I have a first gen). I'll ask the member who makes brackets to see if he would be happy with a group buy or something. Otherwise, you guys will just have to buy on an individual basis.

I don't mind being the test subject in this experiment, If it doesn't work, then its not a big issue. But I would hate to mention this BBK possibility, and then have other members spend some cash and find out that for whatever reason it does not work on the GS series vehicles.

I forgot to mention the IS-F rotor is 14.2", and the Zo6 is 14".
LS400 rotor is 12.4"
1993-2005 GS300 rotor is 11.65"

Last edited by kene; 12-03-10 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-03-10 | 09:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I'm leaning toward the fronts only at the moment. If all goes well and it works out. I will list all the places to get everything you need at the lowest prices possible. So others can follow the same route. I'm not looking to make any profit, just trying to help the board out.

The biggest thing is getting the brackets(I don't foresee these going higher than 200$...I'm not the manufacturer so I don't know). I'll give it a shot, once it is shown that it works on the GS(I have a first gen). I'll ask the member who makes brackets to see if he would be happy with a group buy or something. Otherwise, you guys will just have to buy on an individual basis.

I don't mind being the test subject in this experiment, If it doesn't work, then its not a big issue. But I would hate to mention this BBK possibility, and then have other members spend some cash and find out that for whatever reason it does not work on the GS series vehicles.

I forgot to mention the IS-F rotor is 14.2", and the Zo6 is 14".
LS400 rotor is 12.4"
1993-2005 GS300 rotor is 11.65"
be careful muttering the word group buy if they not a authorized vendor it can lead to trouble.

have the weights on the rotors? calipers of the ones u using?

i would love a all around BBK but will settle for a front only....let us know

sorry in a hurry going to lunch with the kiddos
Old 12-06-10 | 10:03 AM
kene
Lead Lap

oh..ok.. I didn't realize they were **** about mentioning that stuff.

thanks for the heads up. I will get all parts weighed as they come in.
Old 12-06-10 | 10:38 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

oh..ok.. I didn't realize they were **** about mentioning that stuff.

thanks for the heads up.
We ain't ****...its just the rule...and it sounds like you need to read it.
Old 12-06-10 | 08:30 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

A little tip for the OP to think about.. Since the Master cylinder on the 2GS is designed with a certain orifices to push certain amount of fluid thru at a certain time, with you upgrading to a larger caliper and more clamping force, you might want to address that you will need to properly match the fluid rate to the caliper because the last thing you want to do is go 80+mph and step on the brakes and have it not fully clamping down therefore running into something or worst someone. Just a thought to keep in mind. That's why most people who upgrade to bigger caliper use aftermarket master cylinder.
Old 12-09-10 | 03:07 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

I have a set of used stoptech fronts only for sale at a great price for $1300, the kit has about 6k on it since I had it last year, its in great shape to say the least. It is in red calipers with slotted rotors. Nice upgrade over LS400 brakes for sure. Awesome pedal modulation since the caliper has minimal flex. 2 piece rotor looks great also an added advantage in weight savings.

PM me if you are interested!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...brake-kit.html

You probably won't need the rears but if you get on the brakes hard enough the rears will fade also. Especially when you do a few 100mph to 30mph stops.

Making brackets to make the caliper fit seem a bit unsafe. Those brackets don't look very sturdy?

Last edited by One HoT; 12-09-10 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: BBK Question