Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 08:18 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
Hi, i've replaced shocks, lower ball joints, outer tie rods and all new michelin pilot sports tires on my 02 gs430 with 101,000 miles. After numerous alignments, the car still gets out of alignment after a month and won't track straight. It is a pain to drive. Searching the forums, most of you guys have said that the bushings are the main problem. I ordered a full set of Daizen suspension bushings and sway bar bushings. My independent mechanic told me that it could be $1500 and 2 days of labor for him to press the bushings in and out!!! Is this a high price? Anyone know of someone in the DC,MD,VA area that could do it?

Thanks for your help
Everyone is right, $1,500 is too high and $350 is too low. If you have a spare car to drive while you work on your GS, take out the upper and lower control arms and I can press them in for you or for a couple of hundred my friends at Curry's Reston can press them for you.

BTW, changing the bushing (along with a hunter alignment) turned my car into a handling BEAST!! Love driving it now where I was ready to drive it into the Potomac before then (non-DMV folks, the Potomac is a large river in the area :-)
Old 11-10-10, 05:18 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Everyone is right, $1,500 is too high and $350 is too low. If you have a spare car to drive while you work on your GS, take out the upper and lower control arms and I can press them in for you or for a couple of hundred my friends at Curry's Reston can press them for you.

BTW, changing the bushing (along with a hunter alignment) turned my car into a handling BEAST!! Love driving it now where I was ready to drive it into the Potomac before then (non-DMV folks, the Potomac is a large river in the area :-)

How much would Currys Auto service charge to do the whole job? Like i said, i'm not a diy type guy and i definitely wouldn't feel comfortable fooling with something important like my front suspension! lol
Old 11-10-10, 01:10 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Update:

After getting the car, my mechanic called me back and said that the labor would be $1020 for the front suspension bushings and sway bar bushings install. He said that it is a very labor intensive job and it is a 12 hour job. How in the world are you guys telling me this is a 5 hour job tops?
Old 11-10-10, 01:38 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Just called a special tuner shop called Swift Racing Technologies and they said they could do the job 5-6 hours with labor at $95 an hour. Sounds much better!
Old 11-10-10, 02:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Most shops that have never done these types of install will always quote using the suggested time in their manual. Those who have actually done it plenty of times will have a better idea of how long it'll actually take.
Old 11-10-10, 03:30 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
if its just the UCA and LCA#2 then its not too bad, but if you're doing the LCA#1 and you're doing it in 3hrs both sides I wouldn't ride in the car with you because you must have extra parts left over lol. Pressing in/out takes probably 30min-1hr because the LCA#2 bushing don't just easily come out, i cant see a complete front suspension assembly and disassembly in 3hrs unless there is a guy working on each side at the same time. That is unless the guy has done this job 100 times.
I totally agree! In 3 hours???!!! You must have parts left over! There is just no way!
Old 11-10-10, 03:35 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
Hey, have you guys installed ALL of the bushings with great results? I've been hearing bad stories about installing the lower control arm bushings with alignment issues. I need to know because i get this done tomorrow. Thanks!!
I replaced all bushings and no problems so far. Much better handling.

GSteg from what you're saying you only did caster arm bushings, correct? These were the easiest to press out for me. The other ones were more time consuming.
I totaly don't believe that your guy can do the ENTIRE job in 3.5 hours unless you have a helper and etc.!

Have you done the entire job yourself?

Last edited by krispl; 11-10-10 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 04:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by krispl
GSteg from what you're saying you only did caster arm bushings, correct? These were the easiest to press out for me. The other ones were more time consuming.
For my car, yes, I only did the caster bushing. It's the one most people have problem withs, pressing out and in.

I totaly don't believe that your guy can do the ENTIRE job in 3.5 hours unless you have a helper and etc.!

Have you done the entire job yourself?
No helper.

Honestly it doesn't hurt me if you guys don't believe it. Many of the socal GS guys who had it done knows it can be done. He can do it quickly because he knows our cars (after all he owns one), and no, there were no left over parts . We're not talking backyard mechanic here. He's done at least 15 daizen install to know what works and what doesn't. Obviously the first few times took a while, but after that, it almost became second nature.

Another thing people have trouble with is reinstalling the caster arm into the car because it's not as easy to realign the the 2 17mm bolts onto the LCA. That will add in quite a bit of time if it's the last part you're installing..

Maybe I should tell him to take his time and charge more for the service.
Old 11-10-10, 07:21 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that's a guy we need a DIY from lol, because if he can take it apart like this:

and put it back together on both sides after pressing bushings in/out in all 6 arms, you should tell him to raise his prices.

Originally Posted by GSteg
For my car, yes, I only did the caster bushing. It's the one most people have problem withs, pressing out and in.

No helper.

Honestly it doesn't hurt me if you guys don't believe it. Many of the socal GS guys who had it done knows it can be done. He can do it quickly because he knows our cars (after all he owns one), and no, there were no left over parts . We're not talking backyard mechanic here. He's done at least 15 daizen install to know what works and what doesn't. Obviously the first few times took a while, but after that, it almost became second nature.

Another thing people have trouble with is reinstalling the caster arm into the car because it's not as easy to realign the the 2 17mm bolts onto the LCA. That will add in quite a bit of time if it's the last part you're installing..

Maybe I should tell him to take his time and charge more for the service.

Last edited by pizdets17; 11-10-10 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 07:35 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg

No helper.

Honestly it doesn't hurt me if you guys don't believe it.
For someone that is REALLY familiar with the GS, working on cars, and has done this type of thing before I believe you when you say 3.5 hours. For guys like me that are good around cars, solid DIY guys, and have not done something like this before, 8-10 hours is a good estimate. I spent a weekend doing mine with a little help from my next door neighbor who's a competent DIYer as well.

$1,000 firm for labor isn't such a bad rate in NOVA. If I had it to do all over again I would have paid someone to have that weekend back.
Old 11-11-10, 06:20 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
For someone that is REALLY familiar with the GS, working on cars, and has done this type of thing before I believe you when you say 3.5 hours. For guys like me that are good around cars, solid DIY guys, and have not done something like this before, 8-10 hours is a good estimate. I spent a weekend doing mine with a little help from my next door neighbor who's a competent DIYer as well.

$1,000 firm for labor isn't such a bad rate in NOVA. If I had it to do all over again I would have paid someone to have that weekend back.
fwiw, I'm an IT doofus too and didn't know how to change my oil filter when I got the GS. So tackling the control arm job was all foreign to me, I'd done the brakes a few months before though.

I ended up doing it myself, but having a shop press in the bushings. All said and done, I did it in 6 hours with basic hand tools. No helpers. I even fudged one side, and had to reassemble it again. But if a moron like me can do it in 6 hours. Ain't no way in hell a shop with a lift and air tools should take over 5. I wouldn't it pay it. Keep in mind, I said I didn't press in/out the bushings. That part sucks So maybe I'd pay for 6-7 hours of labor to get MY friday night back if I did it again.
Old 11-11-10, 06:37 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
fwiw, I'm an IT doofus too and didn't know how to change my oil filter when I got the GS. So tackling the control arm job was all foreign to me, I'd done the brakes a few months before though.

I ended up doing it myself, but having a shop press in the bushings. All said and done, I did it in 6 hours with basic hand tools. No helpers. I even fudged one side, and had to reassemble it again. But if a moron like me can do it in 6 hours. Ain't no way in hell a shop with a lift and air tools should take over 5. I wouldn't it pay it. Keep in mind, I said I didn't press in/out the bushings. That part sucks So maybe I'd pay for 6-7 hours of labor to get MY friday night back if I did it again.
Removing and replacing the suspension components wasn't the time consuming part, removing the bushings, the lower control arm bushing in particular, was the hardest part. I did not have air tools or a bench press so I spent quite some time going crazy on those bad boys.
Old 12-05-10, 03:44 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

can't go wrong with Swift.
Old 12-10-10, 01:11 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

so im here at the shop getting all of my daizen control arm bushings installed, the sway bar bushings and a hunter alignment.the total cost is $817 bucks.is this a good price? the shop charges 90 bucks an hour for labor.i talked to the tech who worked on my car and he said the bushings only took 4 hrs 15 min for him to install,and the sway bushings were easy,probably about 30 min. The shop charged more than his stated labor time because they said they charge by the book hours even if it takes less time to do.Did i still get a good deal or did i get hosed?
Old 12-10-10, 01:24 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

They are only supposed to charge you for what it took... period..
They like to quote from the "Big Book Auto Service" time.. forgot what it is called. But If they are going by hourly rates then they need to follow it. Otherwise they can quote you for the whole job neglecting how long it will take them to do it.

For example I asked The local mechanic down the street his labor just to install caster arm #2 bushings and we agreed on 135$. bear in mind this is on a 1st gen GS300(91'-97') where you have to literally loosen the 2 front bolts of the sub frame, remove the 2 rear bolts and let the subframe kinda hang from the body to gt the caster arms out. For the 2nd gen gS300's it is waaay easier to do.