Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

whole rearend moves

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 11:36 AM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whole rearend moves

so i replaced my sub frame after it cracked while i was driving (scary stuff) but now tht its replaced and im driving itll go fine while theres no bumps but once i hit a bump or anything the front is fine but the whole rear end moves like its moving side to side its scary and i dn wanna drive cuz i feel like ill break sumtin.
i dnt see how the whole rear end would move. the sub frame is bolted down and not loose at all i alrdy checked that
any ideas? any help would be great i rly neeed to get my car back on the road
it is a 92 sc400
Old 11-15-10, 12:08 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So let me get this straight. You replaced the front or rear subframe. The front is aluminum & the rear is steel correct. You did make sure the rear diff is tight & all the bolts are in it. Also the rear sway bar is connected. Maybe the rear bushings on the back of the diff ar waisted. If you replaced the rear subframe.
Old 11-15-10, 02:01 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

i replaced the rear subframe and the sway bar is in place its old and rusty tho (1992) everything is bolted down nice and tight the bushing on the subframe are good. im not too sure about the control arm bushings tho. could that be a possibilty if so how can i check the bushings? and what are sum cheap ones i dont wanna spend too much
also could jus be that i need an alignment? i havnt aligned since ive changed the subframe.
Old 11-16-10, 07:56 AM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your rear shocks blown? That's what it feels like when they are blown.
Old 11-16-10, 08:33 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

check your air pressure in your tires, could cause the shifting side to side feeling as well.
Old 11-16-10, 08:44 AM
Han7
Rookie

Originally Posted by CP_Ree
this is most likely.

do you have aftermarket struts or coilovers?
Old 11-16-10, 12:13 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CP_Ree
Mine acted the same way because of blown dampers.
Old 11-16-10, 01:07 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Han7
this is most likely.

do you have aftermarket struts or coilovers?
nope everything is stock right now. is there a way to check the shocks? i was planning on coilovers sumwhere down the line not yet tho (no money)
Old 11-16-10, 01:08 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

I'd say if you go over a bump and the rear end sways... its dead. Have a friend drive alongside you and if your wheel is moving up and down when you're going 70, your shock's dead. That's how I figured out which side was dead last time.
Old 11-16-10, 01:37 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

if my shock is bad do i have to replace the entire strut assembly or can i jus get a shock? and would it be better to do both sides evn if only one is bad? and last question can i do this myself or will i have to go to a shop to get it done? i do have quiet a bit of knowledge of doing work on cars
Old 11-16-10, 08:27 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc4
if my shock is bad do i have to replace the entire strut assembly or can i jus get a shock? and would it be better to do both sides evn if only one is bad? and last question can i do this myself or will i have to go to a shop to get it done? i do have quiet a bit of knowledge of doing work on cars
No you can just replace the shock, but you will have to disassemble the shock from the spring. That means you need a spring compressor. You can rent that from the autopart store. I would say YES if you have the money to just replace both at the same time. You definetly need to have the right tools to do the job, otherwise it will be a major pain in the a$$.

1-spring compressor
2-impact air/electric
3-friend
Old 11-19-10, 07:15 PM
d1trainee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc4
nope everything is stock right now. is there a way to check the shocks? i was planning on coilovers sumwhere down the line not yet tho (no money)
If your dampeners are blown you should be able to stand behind the trunk and push down so the springs compresss and let go. when it rebounds the car will keep bouncing up and down like a caddy if they are bad. the shocks keep the springs from bouncing forever if it goes up like 1 or 2 times they are prolly good if its still bouncing by itself after 2 they are prolly blown. just start bouncing the rear and see if its recovering quickly. hard to explain in words.
Old 11-19-10, 10:37 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by d1trainee
If your dampeners are blown you should be able to stand behind the trunk and push down so the springs compresss and let go. when it rebounds the car will keep bouncing up and down like a caddy if they are bad. the shocks keep the springs from bouncing forever if it goes up like 1 or 2 times they are prolly good if its still bouncing by itself after 2 they are prolly blown. just start bouncing the rear and see if its recovering quickly. hard to explain in words.
Honestly, that test doesn't work on these cars.