Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan racing EZ coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 12:44 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan racing EZ coilovers

Just saw the Megan EZ coilovers and saw how cheap they were. Has anyone here bought them?
Old 11-21-10, 02:49 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be surprised. Megan "Racing" makes cheap stuff. The real question is, are they trying to win any races with their parts???
Old 11-21-10, 09:52 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LSin75075
I just installed some EZs on my friend IS300 last night for him. EXCELLENT quality stuff. when you can show me $2,000 worth of difference between Megans and anyone else's coilovers (KW, HKS, TEIN, etc...) then I'll look at spending 4x as much. I have a set of the Megan Street specs here in a box for my new SC300TT.

I used to work at a tuner shop a while back and I've seen every coilover you can imagine, damaged. Blown Teins, rusted HKS, so on and so on.

Like most other coilover manufacturers, Megan offers a good variety of coilovers for different purposes (different spring rates, etc).

PS: I also have a set of Megan LPs on my wife's SC430 and they are awesome.
Believe me when I tell you I don't consider any of those coil-overs to be high quality except the linearly sprung high end KW models. The way you throw excellent around makes it seem as if you just open the box and look at the parts and say "that looks excellent." Quality is not just the material finish and gimmicky nature of a product. It most importantly is the ability of the product to meet its purpose. In this case, and in the case of most of those you listed, the "racing" coil-overs are no good at being what they are labeled. What you pay for in quality coil-overs is the damping engineering and spring consistency, and most JDM coil-over manufacturers don't have it. Megan is at or near the bottom of that heap.

A big sign that seems to go over everyones' heads...Why don't any of these coil-over manufacturers sell dampers if they are so good?? Bilstein does. Koni does. Penske does. Moton does. Ohlins does. I am just saying.

If coil-overs are only a means of getting your car from point A to point B in a vertical sense, then [you're right] there is no difference. If you are trying to do what suspension upgrades were originally for (gain performance), then you are looking at quality all wrong. For all you know a Megan damper could be filled with mashed potatoes (adjustable ones of course) and it would still look good from the outside.
Old 11-22-10, 03:57 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

let me throw my 2 cents in here

i am a braking and susp guy . i have had teins and my other car ( a highly modded gs400 with every susp brace out of japan) i have had teins on my 600 rwhp sc and i will say the megans are a notch or 2 above teins in quality and perf.i have the megans on there for the last 1.5 yrs and i drive hard and when i say hard i mean 2nd hits which puts alot of press on the rear coils to squat and i corner hard and i have had zero issues with them. i have driven in a sc with zeals on them ( $2k coilovers) and i can honestly say the diff in ride quality and overall handling is barely noticable to warrant spending $1200 more on coils

so unless YOU have personally tested all of the above , i would ask you to refrain from misleading info being posted for megans are def a viable option for those who are budjet minded and want to feel secure about there purchase
Old 11-22-10, 06:51 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
let me throw my 2 cents in here

i am a braking and susp guy . i have had teins and my other car ( a highly modded gs400 with every susp brace out of japan) i have had teins on my 600 rwhp sc and i will say the megans are a notch or 2 above teins in quality and perf.i have the megans on there for the last 1.5 yrs and i drive hard and when i say hard i mean 2nd hits which puts alot of press on the rear coils to squat and i corner hard and i have had zero issues with them. i have driven in a sc with zeals on them ( $2k coilovers) and i can honestly say the diff in ride quality and overall handling is barely noticable to warrant spending $1200 more on coils

so unless YOU have personally tested all of the above , i would ask you to refrain from misleading info being posted for megans are def a viable option for those who are budjet minded and want to feel secure about there purchase
No misleading info here, and I never said $3k setups are better than $2k setups or $2k's better than $1k. It's not about price absolutes. I also didn't concede to Tein's being a benchmark for comparison.

I think it's funny how so many people think that it's some kind of sham when people *try to recommend established dampers for performance. I don't think you need to test every different version yourself. I put more faith in true experts' reviews and shock dyno curves than the general public who drive hard (no offense).

Like I said, many people may not care about performance, but I am just being honest.

Last edited by BartleDoo; 11-22-10 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 11:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Megans are definitely a viable option for the daily drivers who are more concerned with value than anything else. The performance you get versus the price you paid is not a linear function. $2000 isn't going to outperform a $1000 set by twice the amount. If anything, people who are concerned with track times are willing to pay more money to get an extra gain of who knows what. This is why real race cars (F1, NASCAR, etc) are so expensive.

Tein is one of the most overpriced junk you can buy. In Japan, they are regarded as the equivalent to the APC stuff for Hondas. Zeal coilovers are nice in quality, but their shock performance isn't meant to be stellar out of the box (hardly anything is). If you want top notch performance, you have to revalve your dampers to match your car. Zeal will do this for your and it will transform your car, but it also cost money.

If you just want to drop your car low with a budget in mind, then the Megans are fine. If you need the extra omph, look for alternatives. The majority of SC owners DD their cars.
Old 11-22-10, 12:14 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Megans are definitely a viable option for the daily drivers who are more concerned with value than anything else. The performance you get versus the price you paid is not a linear function. $2000 isn't going to outperform a $1000 set by twice the amount. If anything, people who are concerned with track times are willing to pay more money to get an extra gain of who knows what. This is why real race cars (F1, NASCAR, etc) are so expensive.

Tein is one of the most overpriced junk you can buy. In Japan, they are regarded as the equivalent to the APC stuff for Hondas. Zeal coilovers are nice in quality, but their shock performance isn't meant to be stellar out of the box (hardly anything is). If you want top notch performance, you have to revalve your dampers to match your car. Zeal will do this for your and it will transform your car, but it also cost money.

If you just want to drop your car low with a budget in mind, then the Megans are fine. If you need the extra omph, look for alternatives. The majority of SC owners DD their cars.
I agree, Megans are great for lowering the car with some extra cash in the pocket. If you DD your SC and looking to lower your car Megans are a good starting coilovers. I got them then i upgraded to stance. One thing i notice about the megans is that the shock body isn't as beefy as the stance body.

Most people who say that Megans are crap did not actually own it. They just read on forums and copy what other people say.
Old 11-23-10, 08:46 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Not trying to be an ***, but why would one go around trying every part that is known to be low performance. That doesn't make sense.

The first post I made was 100% true. He shouldn't be surprised that they are cheap. Megans are fine for lowering a car. However, people trying to argue their performance against better setups is truly silly. I know you want to believe you got a good deal and all, but really?
Old 11-23-10, 02:24 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Not trying to be an ***, but why would one go around trying every part that is known to be low performance. That doesn't make sense.

The first post I made was 100% true. He shouldn't be surprised that they are cheap. Megans are fine for lowering a car. However, people trying to argue their performance against better setups is truly silly. I know you want to believe you got a good deal and all, but really?
Ive had megans and stance...and no I couldnt really tell a difference. I really like Megans. They are definatly appropriate with their prices. And you tell me this.

I know of 4 MKIV supras in my area. All 4 of them are running megans on their 40K+ supras. 2 of them road race on a track...and money isnt an issue for them. Why would they run megans?
(on a side note, when I say 40K+ I mean it...there is a 93.5' 3.4L stroker with a 76mm turbo that is a drag car, a 1998 auto supra with a 76mm turbo boostlogic built auto trans with 37,000 original miles, 95 supra with too many mods to list, and a 93.5 BPU++)

You are using oppinions and not real experience or actual facts about "megans being low performance"
Old 11-23-10, 05:53 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
Ive had megans and stance...and no I couldnt really tell a difference. I really like Megans. They are definatly appropriate with their prices. And you tell me this.

I know of 4 MKIV supras in my area. All 4 of them are running megans on their 40K+ supras. 2 of them road race on a track...and money isnt an issue for them. Why would they run megans?
(on a side note, when I say 40K+ I mean it...there is a 93.5' 3.4L stroker with a 76mm turbo that is a drag car, a 1998 auto supra with a 76mm turbo boostlogic built auto trans with 37,000 original miles, 95 supra with too many mods to list, and a 93.5 BPU++)

You are using oppinions and not real experience or actual facts about "megans being low performance"
#1) Because their buddy said it was a good deal so they should get it?
#2) Because information on the internet is more plentiful towards cheaper option items, therefore one see's more good reviews of misinformed information allowing one's mind to come to the conclusion that cheaper option A is better than more expensive option B.
#3) Because not all people who own expensive cars with huge engine mods know anything about suspension, therefore resulting in reading information on the internet or hearing about it from a buddy (see #1 and #2)
#4) Because performance shop A recommends it while said car is being built and owner agree's on it since the car is already apart....meanwhile said shop A gets a huge profit margin, resulting in making money, aka how the world turns.
#5) Because there is a huge difference in form over function, regardless of price range...resulting in said badass car wanting a badass stance and since information on the internet says a certain "reviewer" said that coilover option A is good for the money because the reviewer said that it was good due to #1-#4, therefore spreading more misinformation on the internet... Resulting in the inevitable...

I can keep going, there are literally hundreds of reason why people who spend a fortune on their car, cheap out and get a cheap part here and there.

Megan, Tein, D2, Ksport, etc... great for lowering the car, should be somewhat reliable, cheap on the wallet... But that is as far as I would go.

Stance, HKS, JIC, Zeal, Max, etc all serve their own purpose... but really... Penske, Ohlin, Bilstein, Koni, etc...properly setup... well lets just say there is a reason why in real racing, they use this stuff...

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 11-23-10 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-23-10, 06:40 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

^^^
lol....yeah-they don't know anything. You're right. Road racers have no idea about suspension.
Old 11-23-10, 06:59 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^
lol....yeah-they don't know anything. You're right. Road racers have no idea about suspension.

I think you missed my entire point. In fact I never even said anything about road racers dont know anything about suspension. I just pointed out a few ways why they with unlimited amount of money would settle on a cheap set of coilovers which most people know that is good for lowering your DD rather than getting a bad *** set of KW's or something.... Is it because Megan provides the same performance gains as KW's? no...

Just another thread that popped up on SM?
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ries-coilovers

This is how its ALWAYS going to be with peoples opinions... They are like ***-holes... everyone has one....

My opinion is that they are good for your DD lowering style, but for someone who heavily tracks their car, look elsewhere.

Take what I say with a grand of salt, for it does not matter because you're mind is already made up
Old 11-23-10, 08:14 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

^^^
Road racers are using Megan coil-overs and know what they are talking about? Jeeeez. COME ON. Does anyone else here see what is going on in this thread???? My first post in this thread was a simple joke. Then, lo and behold, people start trying to prove that Megan Racing coil-overs are the best...ever.......AND FOR ROAD RACING??!! I guess I should delete all of my comments and then we can have this thread stickied for its wealth of good information. Do any of you guys work for Megan? This is like a snowball rolling down Mt. Everest.

I'll be next. I know an E.R. doctor using Megan's and they are sooo good that he gets to work so fast everyday that he saves 4 more lives than he used to with his insert your preferred benchmark coil-over here.
Old 11-23-10, 08:18 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

P.S. You should let F1 know that they are obviously using the wrong stuff.
Old 11-23-10, 08:25 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Megan doesn't make just EZ street coilovers. They actually make MANY custom parts for customers. At a decent price. Actually lower than stance can touch. I have personally used both Megan coilovers and Stance GR+ pro coilovers. Guess what guys-there is A LOT more to suspension than some coilovers. Traction rods, control arms, guess what-those mean a lot too. As much as the coilover itself if not more. You guys are acting like A. You have used both and B. If it's more money it's obviously better. I'm gonna start selling OBX mufflers at $700 just because everyone obviously thinks the more $$ the better! guys!

Quick Reply: Megan racing EZ coilovers