Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New style EBC slotted rotors...thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 07:33 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New style EBC slotted rotors...thoughts???

Hey everyone!

I will be looking to upgrade my rotors to a slotted style, as I have a track event coming up this summer. I know EBC is a reputable company, and they make some very good products, but I have never seen this style of slotted rotor...

Does anyone have any experience with these rotors? Or does anyone know about the pros/cons of having this style slotted rotor?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails New style EBC slotted rotors...thoughts???-ebc-rotor.jpg  
Old 12-28-10, 04:08 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Bump. Would like to know as well. Looks pretty cool.
Old 12-29-10, 01:42 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Hey brociouz, since nobody responded to this, I went ahead and found out for myself...here is what is off the EBC website:

Ultra quiet sport slotted brake rotors

Manufactured using premium disc blanks mentioned above, the narrower multi slot design of the Ultimax sport rotor and the progressive angle at which the slots are machined creates a quiet running sport rotor that still has benefits of removing gas, dirt, water and debris and MAINTAINING parallel pad wear.

I think they look cool as well, but I think I am looking for a dedicated track rotor for track events...this looks like a daily driver slotted rotor...
Old 12-29-10, 02:52 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
I think they look cool as well, but I think I am looking for a dedicated track rotor for track events...this looks like a daily driver slotted rotor...
Hey Quick123 How many Track days do plan on running? I have done a few & just changing out the tires started becoming a pain. Drive to the track with the tires in the back seat along with all my other crap take everything out of the car change out the tires then to put it all back for the ride home. Kinda sucks. If you only do a few track days then just get a slotted rotor for everyday & track. If you never run a track tire you should be fine for what ever rotor you go. I would run Hoosier R6 tires & the grip is insane. I am also lucky that my friend runs his own track day event & there is never more than 20 cars. Which means open track all day. I'd run half hour sessions & even with my my slotted rotors they would get so hot the brakes would smoke & those even started to fade after about 20 min. So if your gonna do a track day & only go say for 4 sessions at maybe 20 minutes you should be fine with those rotors & just leave them on. I did my first track day with the stock rotors & pads & they worked fine for the 20 min session but did fade after say 10-15 depending on how busy the track was. Also my friends track day sometimes it was just me on the track going as fast as i could for 20+ minutes. Other track days events like Speed Ventures get so pack you will maybe get 1 good fast lap. Then it's car cars cars. I am sure those will be fine for everyday & track days events. If you plan on doing a ton & really beat up the car than forget about changing out slotted rotors all the time just get a BBK. They will help for track day events. If i were to run more track days i was gonna change out the brakes cuz they just couldn't handle the tires & the speeds i started to go, They just got way to hot.

Also i noticed you only have springs. If your gonna do track days & go to different tracks then put on coils that you can adjust. It will help you out way more. The last time i went out i didn't adjust my coils right & spun from body roll the coils were to soft & way stiffer than my drop spring i went to. (Took off the coils cuz I am done doing track days with my IS, want a comfy ride again) If you want i will sell you my buddy club coils. You will however need to have the front re-valved cuz mine are shot but i will hook you up with good deal.
Just sayn' from my experiences...
Old 12-29-10, 04:27 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Thanks for the advise and sharing your track experience with the IS

I am at a weird stage with my IS right now, as my wife drives it every couple of days to work when she doesn't want to drive a stick (I have a couple cars, the IS is the only automatic)...so I don't want to get too aggressive with the setup yet (coils, BBK, wheels, etc...) because I know she will destroy something

As for the pain of swapping parts out for track events, I am a Service Manager at a Toyota dealership, so I have some pretty good access to lifts, tools, techs, you name it! I also have a F-150 with a trailer specifically for autocross or track events, so that always helps as well

The track events I go to are usually held by a dealership, like the last one at Roebling Road was done by Mercedes Benz of Buckhead...went there with my Dad's CLK55 AMG that has been tweaked and tuned...we had 2 days of 8am-5pm racing with only 25 cars, so we only had to stop to get gas...other events are autocross or sometimes track days at Road Atlanta or the up and coming Atlanta Motorsports Park

I will be getting my wife a 4Runner or something soon so I will have the IS to myself, and then things will get pretty crazy, but for now I need to restrain myself a bit and stay conservative...I will need some good tips on what mods do help for the track (next scheduled event is June at Roebling), but that is a whole new thread I should start soon
Old 12-29-10, 04:56 PM
NoHoIS350
Pole Position

^^^ Nice to have all that to help with track events. As for getting ready for track days not much you can do for set-up other than coils, sways, brakes & tires. I guess you can get the under brace but really don't think that will help all that much plus your adding weight. If your gonna track more & you can trailer it than GUT THE CRAP OUT OF IT, haha the IS is way to heavy. If your gonna get more involved than just do what i am gonna do buy a track car. Then your wife can drive the IS all she wants.
I'd say camber would help a ton but nothing out yet for the front. With the hoosiers on the IS just doesn't have enough HP.(Which i am sure you know not much there in HP department. I added a full exhaust & it didn't do jack) I can put my foot to the floor out of turn & I am pushing the car in the driver seat Like Come On Go Faster. Again the weight kills it. Need to to take about 1000lbs out of it. Hehe
But good luck enjoy & have fun.

Oh another word of advice move the seat way up almost uncomfortable and use the third pedal (Push hard with your left foot) to keep you in the seat or buy a lap belt. I found the closer i was to the steering wheel the more planted i was in the slippery seats & also more control with the steering wheel.
Old 12-29-10, 07:11 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my years of tracking different cars such as ITR's, IS300, GS300, and now a MKIV supra. I've found that the best course of action to go with is to upgrade your pads, Brake lines, Rotors, and Fluid. I strongly suggest that you give Disc Brake Australia a shot if you've never used them before. Look into the one piece DBA 4000 series if you're on a budget or the 5000 series for the weight saving due to the 2 piece design with the aluminum hub. I would pair this all up with a set of carbotech Xp8's pads, SS brake lines, and ATE Blue fluid. With this setup, I've never had any problems with track days until now in my supra but that's a different story all together. This setup will be very good for both track and daily driving.
Hey brociouz, since nobody responded to this, I went ahead and found out for myself...here is what is off the EBC website:

Ultra quiet sport slotted brake rotors

Manufactured using premium disc blanks mentioned above, the narrower multi slot design of the Ultimax sport rotor and the progressive angle at which the slots are machined creates a quiet running sport rotor that still has benefits of removing gas, dirt, water and debris and MAINTAINING parallel pad wear.

Old 12-30-10, 12:16 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Good stuff, thank you for your recommendations and I will check out those pads, lines, and fluid (all items I will be needing anyways)

The IS is not going to be a dedicated track car, I will be purchasing a vehicle in the next year or so specifically for the track, but in the mean time I wanted a daily driver that could also throw down at the track every once in a while...upgrading items like the lines and fluid would be good to do anyway, so those will be on the check list...

Really, I just want to be faster than my father's AMG around the track...he has about 150 BHP on me, his car is even heavier than the IS, but I know I can out handle and brake him (plus I am a better driver)
Old 01-01-11, 09:38 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Taco_Kid
for track use your choice of brake pad is equally important, and, the pad you use on the track is not the same pad you should run on the street.
Why do you say that a pad intended for the track is not to be used for street driving? This is one of the biggest misconception out there where companies such as Carbotech wants to redefine this thinking. I've used alot of high end company brake pads in the past ranging from Performance Friction, Ferrodo, and Cobalt Friction and can tell you that Carbotech is on a league of their own. Their Xp8 pads is perfect for occasional heavy track use while perfectly balance for daily street use.
Old 01-01-11, 09:41 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Good stuff, thank you for your recommendations and I will check out those pads, lines, and fluid (all items I will be needing anyways)

The IS is not going to be a dedicated track car, I will be purchasing a vehicle in the next year or so specifically for the track, but in the mean time I wanted a daily driver that could also throw down at the track every once in a while...upgrading items like the lines and fluid would be good to do anyway, so those will be on the check list...

Really, I just want to be faster than my father's AMG around the track...he has about 150 BHP on me, his car is even heavier than the IS, but I know I can out handle and brake him (plus I am a better driver)
Call up Carbotech and speak directly with them and tell them exactly what your needs are and they'll set you up with the perfect pad for your application. They are one of the best company out their that's willing to spend the time to listen to there end users. I'd recommend the XP8 pads for your car. And trust me; after doing this little upgrade, you'll out brake your dads AMG anyday..
Old 01-02-11, 07:29 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Had these on the car for a little over a year, took about that long for them to quiet down or 'break-in' to acceptable noise levels as a daily driver. I did all four corners with 'redstuff' pads up front and 'greenstuff' pads in the rear.
Truth be told I did the rotors because they look cool, pad choice is because i am a bit of an aggressive driver on the street.
Never tracked the car, its my daily driver (learned a long time ago its too much of a hassle to track a daily driver and set it up properly for events).
Old 01-03-11, 11:21 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

most race pads are made for race conditions, and these conditions are not what we find on the street. i do see pad companies that seem to expand pad use, like EBC's Bluestuff NDX. i guess its kinda like how oil companies have expanded oil ranges using multigrade. however, if i were racing i would not be using a multigrade oil nor would i be using a brake pad that says "suitable for street use". however, if the pad specs show they span the specs of other pads made for street and race then we know they will perform the duties of a "street" and a "race" pad in terms of braking, however, we also need to define "performance" metrics. for street use, dust, noise, feel, and how bad the pads cause rotor damage are metrics we should also consider for street use. the EBC Bluestuff might stop well race or street, but EBC green will stop well on the street and will feel better and have lower noise. on the track the dust,noise,feel are likely metrics we dont care so much about.

"Carbotech does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise."
http://www.therpmstore.com/carbotech/
You are right that most race pads are not suitable for street use. But the OP wants a dual purpose pad that will be effective on the track but also able to make the drive home. I'm not here to judge EBC as I have little experience with using them in the past but there is a reason why they are not a pad manufacturer for race teams. There pads are probably just relabel from another pad manufacturer rather than companies like Carbotech and Performance Friction who manufacture everything in house. With any pads that can be used on the race track and still provide some fade resistance, there will always be a increase in noise and dust. This is just a tradeoff that the end user will have to accept. As for your comment on using a multipurpose oil for both street and track use, why is this a bad thing? If the engine is built properly and the clearance are within spec of that oil, I see no difference in using a pure race oil or any of the over the counter brand oil making a difference. I've used German Castrol 0w-40 on all of my race cars and know of many big time race teams who use it too without any problems.
Old 01-05-11, 01:59 PM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

I ordered these rotors, and after a month of waiting, cancelled the order and went with OEM. I did get their Redstuff pads. Great pads!!
Old 01-06-11, 04:50 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

which vehicle did you put OE rotors with red pads on?
For the GS350.
Old 01-06-11, 09:13 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Ok...looks like I have pretty much settled on using the EBC Red stuff pads, but now I will need to find a really good (but not too expensive) slotted rotor and some steel braided lines...any suggestions on these 2 items? and maybe where to purchase?

Quick Reply: New style EBC slotted rotors...thoughts???