Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Springs or Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 11:17 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs or Coilovers?

Hey everyone!
Sorry if there's already a thread like this...I was searching around and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've been bitten by the mod bug and I wanted to lower my car, but I was wondering which is better: springs or coilovers?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me the pros/cons, share your experiences, or suggest a brand. Anything would be helpful

Thank you
Old 11-25-10, 09:45 AM
NCLexi250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dvo
Hey everyone!
Sorry if there's already a thread like this...I was searching around and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've been bitten by the mod bug and I wanted to lower my car, but I was wondering which is better: springs or coilovers?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could tell me the pros/cons, share your experiences, or suggest a brand. Anything would be helpful

Thank you
Many ppl seem to enjoy coilovers, such as the BCR ones. I decided to get Tein S techs b/c of some of the reviews.. I think it depends on how low you'd like to go, your budget, your idea of ride comfort..

Now, I just need to get these babies installed along w/ my steering damper for an early Xmas gift to myself.

Good luck with your decision man and happy holidays!
Old 11-25-10, 04:39 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you could go coilovers do it! I was one of them that said he never needed to adjust the ride height of damping so I got h&r springs, and am now in the market for coilovers. I'm stuck between Stance GR+ and BCRacing.
Old 11-25-10, 04:58 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

This is a common question asked and it all depends on what exactly your looking for when lowering your car.

Springs
Pros
- Great value to lower your car. You can get a set of springs for $200-$300
- Keep your OEM shocks

Cons
- No adjust ability. You won't be able to adjust how stiff /soft or how high / low to set on your car.

Coils
Pros
- You can adjust the height / stiffness of your ride

Cons
- A bit more expensive. Costs about $1000 n up for set of coils
- You may have to send them into the manufacture to get them rebuilt. It's rare but it happens cause the shocks may leak.

I'd say go with coils if you can afford it cause the adjustabilty will save you lots of headaches later on in your car modding journey. You should check out a local lexus meet to ride in a car with springs and coils to help you make your decision. If you are not looking to spend too much then springs is the way to go. Many people are happy with springs as well.
Old 11-25-10, 06:01 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I regret ever getting springs, I now have coilovers and I wish I would have done this the first week of having the car. The only way you should get springs is if your budget is tight and you dont really care for performance and being too low. ill put it to you this way springs are an upgrade from stock but coilovers changre the whole car.
Old 11-25-10, 06:40 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

based on my observation, spring + shock, otherwise, coil, i would not go for spring only
Old 11-25-10, 07:18 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same dilemma as you. Confusion really took over me because I thought I might need the ability to adjust - but then I realized that I wanted to lower the car enough to not only look good but handle nicer...and once it was where I wanted then I would probably not to lower it any further. My car is a weekend fun car, not a daily driver. I don't race him, I dont' track him. I just want to be able to take him out for a spirited run in the mountains but in the same day take him to the grocery store.

The first real look at a car with the F sport springs/shocks combo was Quang's car. I saw it in person and I really liked the way his car looked. Wasn't too low to rub fenders but low enough to get rid of the gap. Upon further investigation I found the springs to be progressive, a difference that I learned from Kurtz. I did a lot of searching here to find out what other's opinions were about the stiffness/ride quality. There were a couple of other people who taught me about coils and more about the springs...

I guess the things that put the last drop in the bucket for me were three major factors:

1. I didn't want to have to experiment with height and risk being so low as to damage the fenders or hit curbs. $$$$

2. I didn't want to have to have the car aligned each time an adjustment was made. $$$$

3. I didn't want to have to pay for someone to take them out to be rebuilt, be without a car until they were done, then have to pay them again to re-install. $$$$

I chose to go the route of the F Sport springs/shocks and found that what I had needed in terms of slight drop and handling was satisfied with this set up. I have no regrets at all.

So in essence, what it all really boils down to is finding out what you are searching for as a result as well as your reasons for such and from there, finding the best possible way to achieve that.

Last edited by Micaiah; 11-25-10 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 07:21 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need shocks/struts if you get any kind of lowering spring. Never put a lowering spring on OEM shocks. So either way you're still looking at $1000 for a set up
Old 11-25-10, 07:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by dvo
!
If you simply use 'springs coilovers' as keywords in advanced search, point at the title field in the 2IS forum and you'll find a lot of topics on exactly the same thing.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ings+coilovers

Among many others
Old 11-26-10, 01:08 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

I know coilovers are expensive, but I'd rather put in a lot of money on something that's best for my car than regret buying something that was lesser in value and not as good. At first, I was going to get springs and shocks for sure, but seeing how most people regret getting springs made me have second thoughts. I don't want to go too low to the point where it cuts off the top of the wheel, just good enough that people can tell it's lowered and not have problems with rubbing.

Originally Posted by NCLexi250
Now, I just need to get these babies installed along w/ my steering damper for an early Xmas gift to myself.
Nice! please update and take pics

Originally Posted by juice14
ill put it to you this way springs are an upgrade from stock but coilovers changre the whole car.
ahh ok, I get it.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
If you simply use 'springs coilovers' as keywords in advanced search, point at the title field in the 2IS forum and you'll find a lot of topics on exactly the same thing.
oops, haha. I'll be sure to do that next time before I post a new thread.

thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! you guys definitely helped

Last edited by Dvo; 11-26-10 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-26-10, 02:51 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvo
I know coilovers are expensive, but I'd rather put in a lot of money on something that's best for my car than regret buying something that was lesser in value and not as good.
I went the cheapo route.

I think coils are the best way to go for you then. Now the next question is, Megan or BCR??
Old 11-26-10, 04:41 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

if you care about ride comfort, go with coils instead of springs.
Old 11-26-10, 11:08 PM
Dvo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Micaiah
I went the cheapo route.

I think coils are the best way to go for you then. Now the next question is, Megan or BCR??
I don't even know which one is better. I have to do some more research on that once I know 100% sure that I'm going with coilovers.
Old 12-01-10, 06:03 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

my main reason for telling people to get coils is because people always say they want to only lower the car an inch or so. they get springs and after 2 or 3 months, they are tired of how it sits and want to go lower. now they have to buy another set of springs and pay for another alignment. by this time your in about the cost of coils. if you put springs on oem struts, they will wear out quicker.

do yourself the favor and just go with coils. trust me, you'll be happy in the long run.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 12-01-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-05-10, 07:15 PM
305is350
Lead Lap

Coils is the best way to go if you ever want to adjust your car height and damping.

Quick Reply: Springs or Coilovers?