Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Ride Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 03:41 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride Comfort

can you achieve stock ride quality on a spring/shock combo with a minimal drop like fsport? Or are coils better since you can adjust the dampering? I get mixed reviews from everyone who has a 1" to 1.5' drop on fsports. On my VW I had bilstien shocks/struts and neuspeed springs which gave me a 1.5" drop. The ride quality on the highway was fine. But soon as I got into towns and citys and hit bump in the road it was absolutely horrible. I dont want my Lexus to sound like that. The reason why im leaning towards springs over coils is because im looking for a minimal drop and I dont feel like dealing with having to rebuild coils.
Old 11-27-10, 08:47 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was stuck trying to decide which to do also. I ended up getting the F Sport combo for the same reasons you are considering springs.

I was pleasantly surprised with the ride. I think it improved it more - well, it really depends on what you personally feel comfortable at - because it wasn't too smooth but it was a tad bouncy. Not harsh at all, not even in town. Of course you will feel bumps in the beaten city streets but to me it's not annoying. If you come across a gap in the road, then you will feel it but that's because it's the progressive spring reaction to it.

The best part is, if you have it installed by Lexus, it will be covered by your existing warranty. I also have no fear of going too low and rubbing or hitting curb blocks in a parking lot.

Here's a good article that you might want to look at:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...r/F-Sport.html

Good luck on your decision.
Old 11-27-10, 09:54 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

tein comfort sports
Old 11-27-10, 10:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
Or are coils better since you can adjust the dampering?
No that is not the case. Most people seem to be confused on the limits of the dampers. I've seen this time and time again: "Turn it full soft and it'll ride butter smooth and crank it up for track days!".

You need to look at the setup as a whole. If the coilovers come with very stiff springs, no amount of damping adjustments will make the car ride smooth.

Best bet to finding your perfect setup is to get a ride in another member's car. I'm sure there are quite a few CL'ers from NJ
Old 11-27-10, 11:03 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Stock ride quality is best achieved with stock suspension, nothing better for those with top priority being ride quality.
Old 11-27-10, 11:37 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ plus with stock wheels.

I had stock suspension with F-Sport 19", ride quality was bad until I switch to F-Sport suspension.
Old 11-28-10, 08:31 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Micaiah
I was stuck trying to decide which to do also. I ended up getting the F Sport combo for the same reasons you are considering springs.

I was pleasantly surprised with the ride. I think it improved it more - well, it really depends on what you personally feel comfortable at - because it wasn't too smooth but it was a tad bouncy. Not harsh at all, not even in town. Of course you will feel bumps in the beaten city streets but to me it's not annoying. If you come across a gap in the road, then you will feel it but that's because it's the progressive spring reaction to it.

The best part is, if you have it installed by Lexus, it will be covered by your existing warranty. I also have no fear of going too low and rubbing or hitting curb blocks in a parking lot.

Here's a good article that you might want to look at:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...r/F-Sport.html

Good luck on your decision.
thanks for the read. Thats why id go with the fsports because they are designed for our car. Im just hoping that factor as well as the over all craftsmenship of a lexus vs VW will give me a better ride then I had on my VW. Im also looking to get 18" wheels which I know will ride a little harsher then my current stock wheels.
Old 11-28-10, 01:20 PM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

I am running BCR coils slammed with 20's and the ride is better than stock i think. I got them set to all the way soft and it rides like a dream with my spring rates. BCR's are awesome and pretty descent prices

Last edited by JMcDonald; 11-29-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-29-10, 04:16 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by okthxbai
Tanabe's NF210s will drop your car a little and have a ride very similar to stock. Tanabe NF210 Springs
the drop is the same as fsport. Isnt it better to just go with fsport since they are designed specifically for our cars?
Old 11-29-10, 07:04 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe F sport springs are by Eibach and the shocks are by Bilstein, designed for the IS.
Old 11-29-10, 09:04 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe Micaiah is right. Lexus contracts Top companies and labels their name on them. Bilstein and Eibach are well known European companies. Also used on VW's.
Old 11-30-10, 11:22 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo_LX
would be the same.. the nf210s or other springs are MADE for certain cars. In this case the IS... these aren't just universal springs. They were tested and made for the car.

Only goes now is... who is cheaper. Same comfort and height... material/built wise... who wants to pay for the name?
People who want to keep their warranty get F-Sport and have dealership install.
Same reason why some people choose F-Sport intake over JoeZ Intake, it comes with a Carb Cert and is legal in all states.

Also why people choose to pay for authentic over replica, they don't mind paying premium for peace of mind in some cases.

Last edited by JDKane527; 11-30-10 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 02:30 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drop on F-sport, you will feel every bump on the road.
Old 11-30-10, 05:07 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Initial_K
If you drop on F-sport, you will feel every bump on the road.
thats what im trying to figure out. But it seems like any time you lower the a car thats what will happen. The lower the more bumpier. Unless you have coils which I guess you can adjust the dampering
Old 11-30-10, 05:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Like I said in the previous page, the ***** aren't suppose to be used to change the car's ride characteristic that much. Many of the lowering springs are wound to be stiffer than stock in one way or another. I bet if you can lower your car using the same spring rate (or wound the same progressively), then you'll get close, if not the same ride quality as as stock. Of course handling won't handle the same.

If you have stiff spring rates and you've turned the dial down to full soft (even if it meant no damping control at all), then you'll still be stiffer than stock. The key to a nice ride quality is matching shocks to the right spring rate whether it be from coilovers or spring/shock. If you choose to go the coilover route, get a set with relatively soft spring rates and pray to God that they valved the shocks accordingly.

Quick Reply: Ride Comfort