Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunking noise? help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 09:44 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSdarksol
I have clunking sound as well... I have replaced: lbj's, outer tie rods, and new front shocks.

I'm going to replace the caster arms this weekend ( mine looks pretty worn)
Hopfully this solves the clunking...if not then more $$$ on uca's...but I hope it doesn't lead to that.
If you still have the clunck after fixing all that, my money is for sure on the upper control arms.
Old 01-10-11, 11:16 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Please let me know what it ends up being, I have this same problem and dont wanna spend all that money searching for it.
Old 01-11-11, 05:54 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blanco
If you still have the clunck after fixing all that, my money is for sure on the upper control arms.
Thanks for the input...that was kind of my guess as well...but i have good news!!!!

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Please let me know what it ends up being, I have this same problem and dont wanna spend all that money searching for it.
Today after coming home from work, i kept thinking what else could it be??? didn't want to keep throwing money at the GS.....then I remembered reading about another GS owner with same clunking issue, he fixed it due to loose sway bar bolts.....jacked up the car....checked the swaybar screws..and BINGO!!! they were loose ....after tighting all of them...Car is back to Normal...car feels great again......OP double check your sway bolts... hopfully its an easy fix like mine...GL...
Old 01-11-11, 07:23 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

I love fixes like that!!! Sweet!!
Old 01-11-11, 08:54 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

Is there anyway for you to show me where these screws are located? pics perhaps :-) ? Were you able to tell they were loose by wiggling the sway links because my mechanic checked them for play but didnt check the screws
Old 01-11-11, 09:30 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Is there anyway for you to show me where these screws are located? pics perhaps :-) ? Were you able to tell they were loose by wiggling the sway links because my mechanic checked them for play but didnt check the screws
Yeah ill take some pics for you tomorrow...but if you have a jack, just jack up your car..if you know how a swaybar looks you can't miss it.... had to tighten four 12mm bolts...

When I was underneath my car, I tried wiggling the sway bar...but didn't move at all...once I thouched the bolts...I was able to turn them...hopfuly yours is an easy fix like mine.

Had to replace my lbj's and tie rods for piece of mine though...
Old 01-11-11, 09:32 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Originally Posted by Blanco
I love fixes like that!!! Sweet!!
Indeed!!! Me too

Last edited by GSdarksol; 01-12-11 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 04:42 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Below you will see the nut and bolt to tighten, circled in red. Make sure you tighten both sides. GL

Old 01-12-11, 06:39 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

thanks bro your the best, but btw were yours just loose on their own or did you ever adjust or change the sway links, because ive never heard of a bolt coming loose on a well built car by itself.
Old 01-12-11, 08:06 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

thanks bro your the best, but btw were yours just loose on their own or did you ever adjust or change the sway links, because ive never heard of a bolt coming loose on a well built car by itself.
Np.....well about a month ago I had new front shocks installed..I remember having them tightend after install...I drove about a week and car was perfect...but then one night on the freeway I kept taking turns at high speeds...the next day the clunking started... so I'm assumming the shocks/springs or combo of other things settled in and made them loose..

Just check them...might just be that.

Last edited by GSdarksol; 01-12-11 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-18-11, 09:42 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I just watched my mechanic try to tighten the nuts/bolts. They didn't budge. I do need struts though I did the bounce test where you push them down and they bounced at least once before they stopped. Could the worn struts be the clunking noise? Because its not the sway bolts
Old 01-18-11, 06:52 PM
trickz
Driver

i have the same problem but my sway bar looks firm
Old 01-19-11, 12:24 AM
bADBOySC4
Pole Position

what kind of suspension are you running and what is your ride height? maybe your UCAs are hitting the strut tower. mine was hitting once in a while due to my worn shocks. mine only happened on speedbumps on the downward movement from the bump.
Old 01-19-11, 01:35 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Since its not your sway bar bolts... as others have mentioned.. check your uca's..