Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunking noise? help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 11:21 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Clunking noise? help PLEASE!

I have a 99 GS300 with 139k miles I just bought. I get this ANNOYING clunking noise when I go over any type of bump especially a bump that sticks up, not one that sinks in like a pothole. And this only happens when Im going slow. If im on the highway there are hardly any noises but still some. Its not a super loud noise but like a light clunking kind of noise that sounds like a lighter version of bowling pins being knocked down. I cant really explain it. My mechanic looked under the car nothing seemed loose except when we did the push down test on the struts, they were VERY easy to move up and down and when you let go it bounced up and down one more time before it stopped. He said the worn struts are whats causing this noise but I dont believe him because we could not replicate the noise by pushing down on them. I am leaning towards sway bar bushings or some type of bushing since thats what it sounds like. Anyone had this problem or know what it may be? Thanks everyone.
Old 12-06-10, 01:34 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOWER BALL JOINTS!!!! Search noise, clunking, ball joints ect. Better change them ASAP. And while you at it, replace your tie rod end
Old 12-06-10, 01:51 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

you SURE? because my mechanic checked the ball joints, i specifically asked him to. He wiggled the wheel and there was no play on both sides. Is there any other way to check them? and would this causes vibration/shaking steering wheel at 60-70 mph?
Old 12-06-10, 08:49 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

clunking can be caused by many things... either a ball joint being worn out or a simple bolt being loose...

in my case my endlink connecting to my swaybars were loose which caused a constant clunking/knocking sound whenever i turn.
Old 12-06-10, 11:16 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

My low speed clunk from going over bumps was caused by my front upper control arms. The clunk went away after I replaced them with the SPC control arms.
Old 12-06-10, 11:23 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Is there any ways to check the control arms or ball joints? my mechanic tried to wiggle the wheel for play to check ball joints but they didnt move and were good.
Old 12-07-10, 01:14 PM
koeovo1on
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try driving on a bumpy area and apply the brakes... if it goes away, then it's one of the bolt that holds the caliper together. Hopefully, that's it.
Old 12-07-10, 08:14 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I tried and it doesnt go away when the brakes are applied.
Old 12-07-10, 08:15 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Can the balljoints be bad if the wheels dont wiggle at all when moved side to side? thats usually the way every mechanic I know checks them.
Old 12-07-10, 10:03 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Can the balljoints be bad if the wheels dont wiggle at all when moved side to side? thats usually the way every mechanic I know checks them.
I found out my ball-joints in the upper control arms were bad by grabbing and pulling the uprights that is connected to the upper control arms. When I did this I was able to reproduce the same "clunk clunk" sound similar to going over a bump at slow speed.
Old 12-08-10, 05:30 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

where are these uppers that I can grab? is it possible to show me a pic? because I was under the car when it was on a lift and tried to grab everything I saw nothing seemed to move and everything was solid, I dont know what to do anymore and that noise is so ****ing annoying. I figured it out that it only makes the noise over certain bumps and its mostly coming from the passenger side
Old 12-10-10, 09:30 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Agent0024
My low speed clunk from going over bumps was caused by my front upper control arms. The clunk went away after I replaced them with the SPC control arms.

+1
Old 12-21-10, 11:02 AM
lilsharky
Pole Position

Originally Posted by koeovo1on
try driving on a bumpy area and apply the brakes... if it goes away, then it's one of the bolt that holds the caliper together. Hopefully, that's it.
hey i have that exactly and it kinda chirps while driving.
Old 01-05-11, 09:49 PM
ktt901s
Rookie

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I have a 99 GS300 with 139k miles I just bought. I get this ANNOYING clunking noise when I go over any type of bump especially a bump that sticks up, not one that sinks in like a pothole. And this only happens when Im going slow. If im on the highway there are hardly any noises but still some. Its not a super loud noise but like a light clunking kind of noise that sounds like a lighter version of bowling pins being knocked down. I cant really explain it. My mechanic looked under the car nothing seemed loose except when we did the push down test on the struts, they were VERY easy to move up and down and when you let go it bounced up and down one more time before it stopped. He said the worn struts are whats causing this noise but I dont believe him because we could not replicate the noise by pushing down on them. I am leaning towards sway bar bushings or some type of bushing since thats what it sounds like. Anyone had this problem or know what it may be? Thanks everyone.
Id have to say upper control arms need replaced...just had the same issue with clunking and clicking noises and it was upper ball joints.
Old 01-10-11, 08:06 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

I have clunking sound as well... I have replaced: lbj's, outer tie rods, and new front shocks.

I'm going to replace the caster arms this weekend ( mine looks pretty worn)
Hopfully this solves the clunking...if not then more $$$ on uca's...but I hope it doesn't lead to that.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise? help PLEASE!