Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 11:32 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you replaced your spring/shock (stock or aftermarket)?
maybe you didn't tighten the assy enough. thats a PITA to tighten without proper tools...not to mention scary.

I think the GS suspension is insanely sensitive to any change in suspension geometry...then again, if you think how many moving parts there are, it makes sense.

and don't buy **** wheels.
I'm on 19" forged monoblock wheels and no vibration. I think the big wheels = shake theory isn't always true. and my GS has 195k+ miles.
Old 01-14-11, 11:07 AM
tither777
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if this helps any of you, the thread has wandered some… but i have a 2000 GS 300 and everything was fine till i put 20's on it….. EVERYTHING else is stock. when i put on the 20 the shake started at 60mph only…. over was fine and under was fine… had the rims rebalanced at a different shop, still the same. So i have searched for weeks and weeks on here and have heard some very helpful stuff. i have bought just about everything i have heard that would help and it was allot of money.. castor arms, poly bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, steering poly bushings, sway bar poly bushings, four new brake rotors and pads…. ALL scheduled to be put in at the end of the month. i saw something about a road force balance which i had not done….. so i went to another shop that does this and they did it on the 20" and all checked out fine…. BUT!!!!!!!! the guy said that sometimes on these high end cars because the suspension is so complex that even the littlest rust on the hub(rotor edge) where the wheel mounts up will cause a shake in the wheel because the rim doesnt sit JUST RIGHT on the hub. SOOOOO the little bit of rust that was on ALL four hubs(rotors) was sanded off for 10 bucks with his little air tool, took him 5 mins….. but the rims back on and I HAVE NO SHAKE AT ALL!!!!! NOT EVEN A LITTLE…. so it was the small amount of rust between the new rim and old rotor that was the culprit….. NOT all the other stuff on this vehicle…. FYI…. GLORY im happy!!!!! woot woooot!!!!
Old 01-21-11, 11:11 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Just wondering was this shake present on all highways at 60+ or certain roads. I noticed on smooth highways I didn't notice any shake but on the BQE which has uneven roads the shake was present from 60-65 I'd say.
Old 01-21-11, 11:12 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

By the way was the rust on the part of the rotor that the pads press on or around the edges? I wanna try and look for this "rust" that could be causing this
Old 01-21-11, 11:14 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

My rotors were recently cut and their kind of thin my mechanic said so could that be the cause of the vibration? I thought brake rotor vibration was only supposed to be noticed while applying the brakes only. Not with regular driving. At least with all the otheer cars I had that's how it was
Old 01-21-11, 05:23 PM
duster
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed my shake

I was able to document that my right rear tire was slipping on the chrome 16" rim (all original equipment). Someone told me about the idea to use a light strip of nail polish going from the tire to the rim.

I used three different colors each separated by about a week. I didn't take long for the nail polish lines to separate. This was enough to satisfy the dealer that there was a problem. Dealer even tried to remount the tires a couple of different times using special "glue" but nothing held. Moved up to the stock 17" with good tires and NEVER had another problem.
Old 01-21-11, 05:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

If it happened after putting the 20's on then the wheels are the culprit. It's either bad tires, bent rims, weights falling off (happens all the time and even the next day.), didn't balanced them right, doesnt have hub rings and that's just to name a few.

Originally Posted by tither777
not sure if this helps any of you, the thread has wandered some… but i have a 2000 GS 300 and everything was fine till i put 20's on it….. EVERYTHING else is stock. when i put on the 20 the shake started at 60mph only…. over was fine and under was fine… had the rims rebalanced at a different shop, still the same. So i have searched for weeks and weeks on here and have heard some very helpful stuff. i have bought just about everything i have heard that would help and it was allot of money.. castor arms, poly bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, steering poly bushings, sway bar poly bushings, four new brake rotors and pads…. ALL scheduled to be put in at the end of the month. i saw something about a road force balance which i had not done….. so i went to another shop that does this and they did it on the 20" and all checked out fine…. BUT!!!!!!!! the guy said that sometimes on these high end cars because the suspension is so complex that even the littlest rust on the hub(rotor edge) where the wheel mounts up will cause a shake in the wheel because the rim doesnt sit JUST RIGHT on the hub. SOOOOO the little bit of rust that was on ALL four hubs(rotors) was sanded off for 10 bucks with his little air tool, took him 5 mins….. but the rims back on and I HAVE NO SHAKE AT ALL!!!!! NOT EVEN A LITTLE…. so it was the small amount of rust between the new rim and old rotor that was the culprit….. NOT all the other stuff on this vehicle…. FYI…. GLORY im happy!!!!! woot woooot!!!!
Old 01-21-11, 05:40 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Can someone please tell me what hub rings are and how to tell if I have them? I tried googling but I still don't understand. I have aftermarket rims and I'm thinking I don't have these hub centric rings and that's the cause of my vibration possibly. Before I waste money on road force balancing I want to make sure
Old 01-21-11, 05:41 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

What do you mean by the nailpolish trick? I don't understand how it worked by the way you described it
Old 01-24-11, 03:33 PM
tither777
Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Just wondering was this shake present on all highways at 60+ or certain roads. I noticed on smooth highways I didn't notice any shake but on the BQE which has uneven roads the shake was present from 60-65 I'd say.
the shake was just at 60 on any road….
Old 01-24-11, 03:38 PM
tither777
Driver

Originally Posted by DMPesso
By the way was the rust on the part of the rotor that the pads press on or around the edges? I wanna try and look for this "rust" that could be causing this
no not on the part that the rotors are on…. the part that the studs are in for your wheel to bolt on…. take your wheel off and the spot with the 5 studs on it.. around the studs is the rust…
Old 06-15-11, 02:11 PM
kpazzo6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info..
Old 06-17-11, 04:00 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

same on the sc430's..
Old 07-02-11, 09:08 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmc_maine
Count me as one of the people that have had this problem 100% solved.

The solution was a tire replacement and this is an expensive solution if you're not already in the market for tires so I understand that everything else is tried before replacing the tires. I lived with the shake until it was finally time to replace my tires.

In the meantime I also had all the usual front end suspects checked to eliminate every possible culprit. It really helps to have a good relationship with a great mechanic. We're very fortunate in Portland to have an independent Lexus shop, LexConnection, that does outstanding work.

I bought my GS400 used (stock 17" wheels) but it had cheap "new" tires on it, as is often the case with people trying to sell a used car - they cheap out when they replace the tires on a car they're getting rid of.
Living in Maine it helps to have good tires and now that I have the ContiExtremeContact tires it's made all the difference in ride quality and grip.

Do your due diligence and check everything but don't be too surprised if it turns out that your tires are to blame.

Good luck to everyone that has to deal with this issue.
did you replace all 4 tires or just the front?

All,
can shake occur from the rear tires / wheels and be as noticeable?
Old 07-02-11, 09:41 AM
gottahaveit2
Lead Lap

I have had same problem, checked everything and had wheels rebalanced at different shops... but my solution was replace the brake rotors, new Bosch ones at a very reasonable price... and now - perfect no imbalance.

Quick Reply: Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph