Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help - Rear Brake Caliper Slide Pin Seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 07:51 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by FullTimeX2
Try this first before wasting money on new calipers...
I loosened the top bolt of the caliper and then pulled the caliper back some. I then sprayed penetrating lube and let it sit for about 10 minutes, and during that time I moved it back and forth as much as possible with a mallet.
Then I used a torch and heated the area of the pin for about 30-45 seconds (avoiding the rubber grease boots as not to melt them as well as aiming away from the control arm bushings). I then proceeded to hit the caliper with the mallet. It eventually and slowly started to slide off of the pin. You might have to use heat a little longer if yours is more rusted. Once the caliper was off, I used a drem​​​​el to sand the inside of the caliper pin and the housing to clean them out. I then sprayed both the pin and the inside of the pin housing with brake cleaner to remove any debris.

After those were cleaned I lubricated both with high quality brake grease, to prevent this from happening again.

Here you can see the rust and nastiness on the pin. This is what was causing the caliper to seize.

The dremel sanding attachment fit perfectly inside the pin housing

High quality (can withstand HIGH HEAT) to lubricate the area.

Nothing personal here But taking a Dremel Drum sander to a rusted pitted surface is a BAD IDEA AND WILL NOT LAST!
Replace the caliper!!!!

For 95% of the DD that high Temp grease means nothing. The caliper needs HIGH PRESSURE WATER RESISTANT GREASE. Not high heat.

People if this is your daily driver - fix it right or plan on buying new pads, rotors, and calipers when this fails!
Old 08-29-19, 04:24 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The Dumbest sliding caliper design ever,

To have the slide pins also bolt the caliper to the bracket
Also, with only 1 pin accessable from the outside, and the caliper has to be pulled off the bracket to expose the other pin (which is covered by the opposing end of the caliper body), btw it screws in using a hex key

no wonder they changed it in the later models.

Last edited by samsonn25; 08-29-19 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 10:35 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default catch it early

Yeah, if you can catch it early, clean and grease you might be able to keep it from seizing up. i suggest every spring and late fall, before going into winter.
Its is a weird design. I change the caliper more often that the pads. Luckily you can decent calipers at NAPA locally.
The front calipers are great on these cars. but just weird on the rear,

I see OP didn't want to be told go purchase a new caliper, and ended up going and getting new calipers, LOL