Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Car needs a brake job? Go with aftermarkets instead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 04:53 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car needs a brake job? Go with aftermarkets instead?

I know how this is going to go.

I put it in the shop for an oil change today, calls me up says it needs new brakes, pads and rotors.

Going to call me in the morning with an estimate for OEM parts that is probably WAY high.

What would you do? I'm thinking he's gonna want at least 1k for this.

I can replace this stuff on my own on every other car I've owned.

Is there a good aftermarket brand that would be cheaper and better than OEM crap?

Slotted/ drilled, whatever, just hate paying super high prices for crappy OEM stuff that ends up just as bad as the other place.
Old 01-03-11, 06:00 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGuy35
If the rotors are ok, just get a set of break pads and put them on yourself. It's simple took me about 30 minutes to do with sides, front.
This.

It's like $65 for a set of the low-dust front pads and that's likely all you need.

Ask for the measurements he took of the pads and rotors to claim they need replacing and you'll likely find the rotors are fine and the pads aren't even done yet.
Old 01-03-11, 06:23 PM
nonopr01
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He already said he need everything in his original post.
There is a kit that upgrades your breas to the IS 350 size for $599. That can be an option.
Old 01-03-11, 06:33 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
This.

It's like $65 for a set of the low-dust front pads and that's likely all you need.

Ask for the measurements he took of the pads and rotors to claim they need replacing and you'll likely find the rotors are fine and the pads aren't even done yet.
That's what I figured, then again this is a guy who my best friend works for. I called up my friend and he said that the boss man says they dont replace just pads. Have to do rotors if they do pads.

Well........if he comes back at me with a price for ALL FOUR ROTORS + Pads, I'm going to have to decline.

I feel the same as you - rotors, unless they are warped seem to hardly ever need replacing.
Old 01-03-11, 06:34 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nonopr01
He already said he need everything in his original post.
There is a kit that upgrades your breas to the IS 350 size for $599. That can be an option.
Well I am going on the word of a mechanic... havent seen it myself.

I'd love to upgrade to the 350 size. I have a feeling 599 will be less than what I'm told tomorrow.
Old 01-03-11, 08:30 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jmags
That's what I figured, then again this is a guy who my best friend works for. I called up my friend and he said that the boss man says they dont replace just pads. Have to do rotors if they do pads.

Well........if he comes back at me with a price for ALL FOUR ROTORS + Pads, I'm going to have to decline.

I feel the same as you - rotors, unless they are warped seem to hardly ever need replacing.

Exactly... any shop that claims they must replace rotors anytime they do pads is a shop trying to rip you off.

They do wear out eventually but unless you don't bed correctly to start with and are very hard on brakes you won't need to replace them nearly as often as pads.

Don't let a shop talk you into any BS resurfacing either, unless there's something wrong that's just wasting good rotor metal.
Old 01-03-11, 09:32 PM
ximd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly... any shop that claims they must replace rotors anytime they do pads is a shop trying to rip you off.

They do wear out eventually but unless you don't bed correctly to start with and are very hard on brakes you won't need to replace them nearly as often as pads.

Don't let a shop talk you into any BS resurfacing either, unless there's something wrong that's just wasting good rotor metal.
I completely agree with you. Some mechanics will always take advantage of customers like this.
Old 01-04-11, 05:56 AM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Well total price is 620 for all parts and services..

I couldn't go ahead with it 100% because I don't have the car in my name yet. Going to pick it up later today and will look at it when I get it home.

620 isn't going to break the bank by any means.. it's just that if I'm going to spend this much on brakes I'd like to do something better than stock.

Last edited by Jmags; 01-04-11 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 09:25 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could spend over 3k and get a BBK
Old 01-04-11, 09:38 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This.

This. They should be able to give you a thickness and runout and the Lexus specifications for the acceptable ranges.

If I were you, I would use one of the parts suppliers on CL to get a discount on brakes and do it yourself if you have the time, tools, and garage. If you can upgrade to the 350 brakes easily, that sounds like a good/fairly cheap way to upgrade your brakes without dropping thousands on an aftermarket kit.
Old 01-04-11, 11:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jmags
Well total price is 620 for all parts and services..

I couldn't go ahead with it 100% because I don't have the car in my name yet. Going to pick it up later today and will look at it when I get it home.

620 isn't going to break the bank by any means.. it's just that if I'm going to spend this much on brakes I'd like to do something better than stock.

Well, unless you're tracking the car, bigger brakes aren't really any better than stock... just bigger and more expensive.
Old 01-04-11, 11:28 AM
JMcDonald
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ True, only reason I got a BBK was to fill out the 20's and look good at the same time. Other than that, i don't really drive it much.
Old 01-04-11, 11:51 AM
CrtifiedMD
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Back track a bit to before you brought it in for the oil change. Did your steering wheel shake/vibrate under braking or anything like that? Were the brakes noisy before you brought her in?

Get a feel for the brakes before you go replacing anything & get in there to take a look yourself before buying parts.

I would put money that the tech noticed the pads may be low and is telling you that you need all new brakes - that's just what they like to do to upsell since they don't make anything in profit for simple oil changes.
Old 01-04-11, 11:51 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There are aftermarket Brake pad companies that sell "better" pads. Go with one of these and call it a day!
Old 01-04-11, 11:58 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sffd103
There are aftermarket Brake pad companies that sell "better" pads. Go with one of these and call it a day!
"better" how exactly?

Quick Reply: Car needs a brake job? Go with aftermarkets instead?