Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover Vs. Springs ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 07:21 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coilover Vs. Springs ?s

Hey CL, I have a ? i have been pondering for a while now. I am currently setting on Tein Stechs and have just under 1 finger gap all the way around. I just recently got a good deal on some BC Racing coils so I went ahead and bought them. My car is my DD and I am pretty happy with it setting the way it does. I drive moslty back roads to work and there are dips and bumps, with that being said, if i put the coils on is that going to give me a more harsh ride on my way to work? I want to keep my ride quality and and not really worried about being slammed. I really want this Vertex kit and would sell the coils to help fund the kit but if the coils will make my car actually ride much better then i will put them on. Please let me know what you experts think
Old 01-04-11, 08:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Only one way to find out

Not all BC coils come with the same spring rate. Some people get stiffer springs while others switched to softer. Anyone who says these will ride better than your current setup is jumping on the coil bandwagon because they don't know anything about your particular coils. If you're truly happy with what you got already, then just sell the BC coils, and maybe you might even make some money along the way. If you want the capability to adjust your height later on, then it's an incentive to switch the springs out.
Old 01-04-11, 08:55 AM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the reviews that many posted..
Old 01-04-11, 08:56 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Only one way to find out

Not all BC coils come with the same spring rate. Some people get stiffer springs while others switched to softer. Anyone who says these will ride better than your current setup is jumping on the coil bandwagon because they don't know anything about your particular coils. If you're truly happy with what you got already, then just sell the BC coils, and maybe you might even make some money along the way. If you want the capability to adjust your height later on, then it's an incentive to switch the springs out.
true but i can say pretty certainly that they will ride the same if not better than the springs. keep in mind that BCRs have adjustable dampening, not to mention over time your car with oem struts/shocks will ride like crap.
Old 01-04-11, 08:59 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

tein cst for ride quality
Old 01-04-11, 09:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
true but i can say pretty certainly that they will ride the same if not better than the springs. keep in mind that BCRs have adjustable dampening, not to mention over time your car with oem struts/shocks will ride like crap.

Again, it really depends on the spring rate. BC has the option to go with springs that are quite stiffer than the off the shelf model. No one knows anything about the coils in question so it may or may not ride better than what he has now. The only option is to try them out. No amount of damping adjustment will make up for too stiff of a spring. Even having too soft of a spring can yield in a choppier ride if the damper forces are left alone. The adjustment should be be used for fine tuning, not compensating for the unmatched spring rate. I cringed when people turn their ***** closer to the extremes because it degrades the life of the shock

The s-tech springs are already soft as they are right now. He already likes the ride of it, but only he can determine how much more he can tolerate before it become unbearable. This is why I've always emphasize on getting a ride in someone else's car to get an impression of what it's like, rather than testing the waters with your own money.
Old 01-04-11, 09:43 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

I was just wondering if the bumps and roads that arent soo smooth would feel worse on the BC's then the springs I have on right now.
Old 01-04-11, 09:51 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Again, it really depends on the spring rate. BC has the option to go with springs that are quite stiffer than the off the shelf model. No one knows anything about the coils in question so it may or may not ride better than what he has now. The only option is to try them out. No amount of damping adjustment will make up for too stiff of a spring. Even having too soft of a spring can yield in a choppier ride if the damper forces are left alone. The adjustment should be be used for fine tuning, not compensating for the unmatched spring rate. I cringed when people turn their ***** closer to the extremes because it degrades the life of the shock

The s-tech springs are already soft as they are right now. He already likes the ride of it, but only he can determine how much more he can tolerate before it become unbearable. This is why I've always emphasize on getting a ride in someone else's car to get an impression of what it's like, rather than testing the waters with your own money.
yea i completely agree with you. i would highly doubt the original owner would have the springs changed but then again we'll never know and i know some people do for their preferences.

yea the ride along is a good idea actually. this way you can get an idea of how coils are and can make a better judgement.
Old 01-04-11, 10:11 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

Go with coils, it much better ride quality and u can always adjust the height
Old 01-04-11, 10:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
I was just wondering if the bumps and roads that arent soo smooth would feel worse on the BC's then the springs I have on right now.

Again it would depend on your coilovers. What spring rates do you have? I know people have option of selecting different spring rates prior to purchasing so not every coils will ride the same. If your spring rates are closer to 6-8kg/mm front and rear, then it'll be close, if not slightly stiffer than your Tein S-techs. If it comes with say 12kg/mm front and 8kg/mm rear, then you'll notice the difference when you drive over irregularities on the road.
Old 01-04-11, 10:40 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

you can also always ask the person you bought them from if they just ordered the standard BCRs or if they ordered them with custom spring rates
Old 01-04-11, 12:56 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Spring rates for my BC's are 10k/8k.
Old 01-04-11, 01:00 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
Spring rates for my BC's are 10k/8k.
Standard rates, at full soft will be softer than H&R. Can't compare to Stechs though.
Old 01-04-11, 01:10 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

if its standard rates, try setting the front 6 or 8 clicks from the softest and rears 10 or 12 clicks from the softest.
Old 01-04-11, 01:21 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

Screw it, im puttin um on

Quick Reply: Coilover Vs. Springs ?s