Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone experienced blown megan coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-11, 02:16 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the megan's and they ride silky smooth. The height these type of coilovers are adjusted at does not affect the shock at all, due to the threaded lower adjustment mount. BC's and some others are similar. As it keeps the height and preload adjustments separate.

Some coilovers adjust height by moving the spring on the assembly which also changes the preload and shock stroke at the same time. And in turn if you run that type real low you will wear out the shock prematurely.. But this is not the case with the megan's unless the spring has been ran down, which I think is what they are assuming.

The instructions that came with mine said do not mess with the preload at all. As in don't run the spring down to gain extra drop.

My car is super low and yes on big bumps the upper arm will hit the inner fender well.

Are you still inside your 1 year warranty?

I offer no real opinion, just stating my experience with the coilover.

I hope you get it worked out, like mentioned try to call back give them another chance. Good Luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-07-11, 02:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The "tech" is an idiot that cannot even understand what preloading is. That's one of the issues I have with these companies that tout dual height adjustment because they go through great lengths to promote their products, that they don't even realize what the hell they're talking about. Preloading is not bad. What is bad is having free-play in your spring, like when you've lowered your spring perch so low that you have only 1/2" of shock travel. Adding preload is not a bad thing. Decreasing preload not bad either, unless you go to the extreme.

If you're adding preload, then you're actually helping the UCA issue in a way. Looking at the Megan springs, they have a lot of cois so increasing preload means you'll be closer to coil binding, which better than having your UCA slam into your fender.

Increasing or decreasing preload is proper, but like anything else, don't go to the extreme. I sure wouldn't want to slam my car on Megans by adjusting the spring collar only, but at the same time, a few turns isn't going to hurt anything. If it does, then you know the shocks are POS. Good dampers should have a consistent damping force throughout most of the strokes. There is a reason why companies like Moton, Penske, Ohlins [Suppliers to real racing leagues, not eBay) do not have dual height adjustment and only adjust through preload. Quality trumps quantity.

Ok I'm done with my little rant

As long as your shocks are not bottoming out, they shouldn't have issue. If Megan truly stands behind their product, they should just replace your damper. 1 negative review can override 100 good ones.
Old 01-07-11, 03:33 PM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea for sure i went to the extreme but the arguement wasnt even about that he didnt even say anything about that he was arguing the reason why i preloaded and far as i know preloads a good thing stress the spring other then shock but he tends to keep arguin with me bout that telling me if my uca hits strut tower at any means my cars way too low. He wont even give me benefit of the doubt gs has that problem, i think if it wasnt meant to let u go low or preload it shouldnt even be an option tein cs gives u only certain amount u can lower and i aint hatin megans pay for what u get and they arent bad at all! They are actually bang for the buck o well ill give it one more try if not i guess ill take it as a loss learn from mistakes
Old 01-07-11, 04:52 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The tech doesn't even give into consideration how relatively narrow the distance is between the UCA and the fender. Our suspensions are NOT like the SC300/400 where the UCAs are mounted so low. He shouldn't have problems with his RSX because it's a McPherson strut setup.. it has no damn UCA to hit the fender like our cars. You buy something with assurance from the manufacture that they'll cover you when things break, but when it's time to make a claim, they'll try to give you 1000 reasons why it's your fault. Are you still within warranty period? Why not make a claim with the vendor you bought them from?
Old 01-07-11, 04:54 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Try the BC coils, just a thought. They can be customed made.
Old 01-07-11, 07:45 PM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

Yea he js didnt listen to me, hes one of them know it alls like he thinks hes right and ive only had them for 6
months and yea imma get em rebuilt n sell them either go bc or stance if not js spend lil more and deeply search for jics.
Old 01-08-11, 11:13 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know they are blown? Leaking, noise?
Old 01-08-11, 11:46 AM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
How do you know they are blown? Leaking, noise?
It rides like crapppp lol no rebound at all anymore
Old 01-08-11, 02:45 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Shocks leaking doesn't necessary they are bad/blow. It's when they always bottoming out is the case.
Old 01-10-11, 10:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Why not make a claim with the vendor you bought them from?
or see if one of the megan vendors here will help you out IF you didnt buy them from on here
Old 01-10-11, 11:03 AM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

i dont wanta bring anyone into my mess, alot of people i know that are retail salers dont like to deal with megan because of their warranty service, but thanks anyways tho guys i actually got them from a friend that knows a friend that works there. in reality all i want is my fronts replaced my rears are perfectly fine!
Old 01-10-11, 01:50 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
or see if one of the megan vendors here will help you out IF you didnt buy them from on here
I did buy mine from a CL vendor and the vendor would not even respond to my messages when mine started squeaking because they had the older style bushings. But when I sent a message the same week to the vendor about buying something else they responded right back, and I re:'d again asking about help with my megan's again no response.

I also called megan directly and they said they would ship me the bushings, but they never did and the guy I talked to is always at lunch, on the phone, or off that day...

Mine ride fine, and haven't blown yet, squeak when it's cold and greasing them is only a temp fix, they are priced right but I probally would not buy anything from megan or the vendor again.

As why I am interested to see if Jason ever gets any help from either party with this..
Old 01-10-11, 01:53 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsjason300
but thanks anyways tho guys i actually got them from a friend that knows a friend that works there. in reality all i want is my fronts replaced my rears are perfectly fine!
See if your friend can hook me up with some replacement bushings that don't squeak
Old 01-10-11, 02:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
I did buy mine from a CL vendor and the vendor would not even respond to my messages when mine started squeaking because they had the older style bushings. But when I sent a message the same week to the vendor about buying something else they responded right back, and I re:'d again asking about help with my megan's again no response.
and thats when you go to DaveGS4 and email him to help get this moving in the right direction and to get yours fixed. our vendors are here to help us out as much as we are here to help them but if they refuse to they still have to answer to someone and dave is that someone
Old 01-10-11, 02:21 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
and thats when you go to DaveGS4 and email him to help get this moving in the right direction and to get yours fixed. our vendors are here to help us out as much as we are here to help them but if they refuse to they still have to answer to someone and dave is that someone
Thanks for the insight, I am typically one of those people that don't make a huge stink and get others involved into something. I just learn my lesson and move on..

As well as 'you get what you pay for' always pops in my head. And at the megan low price I guess customer service wasn't included.

Quick Reply: Anyone experienced blown megan coilovers???