Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

problem installing springs today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 11:13 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the coils that are closer together should be the bottom one.
Old 01-12-11, 04:35 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

^ correct. its usually easy to tell. the coils spaced closer together go on the bottom at the spring perch.
Old 01-12-11, 09:32 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^ if the closer coills belong on the bottom, that would mean the flat end of the front springs are the bottom, and thats what we we did, but it wasnt allowing the top to fit around the rubber strut mount....im soooo confused.
Old 01-12-11, 09:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

its probably because the RM springs is smaller in size compared to the oem spring. fully assemble it and put it on the car. im sure once the weight of the car compresses the shock, the spring will fit over it snug.
Old 01-12-11, 04:47 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
its probably because the RM springs is smaller in size compared to the oem spring. fully assemble it and put it on the car. im sure once the weight of the car compresses the shock, the spring will fit over it snug.
thats what im considering, but what if it doesnt work, that means i would of wasted my time & money. i just want to be sure. im waiting to hear back from the Road Magnet reps again. i sent them pics of the front & rear springs and asked them to let me know exactly which is the top & bottom..i really wish they would of had some type of labeling, even the company name on the spring.
Old 01-12-11, 06:04 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Those are progressive rate springs, which are GREAT. In the pic of the oem spring, is the flat portion at the top. This should have helped you with installing the front springs. You're right. Even with the company name or part number, that would have given you the correct direction. Guess these REALLY are No name springs!
Old 01-12-11, 07:25 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

i actually received an email from Road Magnet this evening and their sending me another set of springs. Hopefully everything will work out with the new set.
Old 01-12-11, 08:32 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Good luck man. If you still have the same problem, try what I suggest in the previous post. Everything will be fine
Old 01-12-11, 08:50 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

The front need the flat surface to be on top.

The rears need the closer coils on top. When compressed the closer coils become the "dead" coils.
Old 01-13-11, 04:09 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Those are progressive rate springs, which are GREAT. In the pic of the oem spring, is the flat portion at the top. This should have helped you with installing the front springs. You're right. Even with the company name or part number, that would have given you the correct direction. Guess these REALLY are No name springs!
road magnet has been around for a while. they may be new to CL but their certainly not a no name spring.
Old 01-13-11, 04:39 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

^^ i did do my research on Road Magnet and they seemed to be a good company, i really didnt see any complaints about their springs, and so far im happy with their customer service....
Old 01-14-11, 02:52 PM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Thumbs up

This is how the front spring should be with the flat side on the top..

This is how the rear spring should be..

The spring should sit perfectly in the groove on the bottom of the shock assembly..Honestly I don't see how you can mix it up because it should only fit one way judging by the looks of the spring..I installed h&r springs and they look similar to those..Good luck
Old 01-14-11, 08:52 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

i spoke with a tech from Road Magnet and it actually turns out that my spring installer was tryn to put the rear springs in the front and thats why it was not working, the tech told me exactly how many coils are up front...the taller spring is the rear and the flat part should be on the top and the shorter springs are the fronts, and the bottom is where the coils are closer....i would go and hav them installed this weekend but i ended up ordering some spring silencer rubbers from Tein and im waiting to get those. ill post pics once everything is on....oh yea, i bought a set of Vossens today, yayy to me!
Old 01-17-11, 04:24 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

man i feel like such a dumb a$$ .. every gs or first gen is and supra springs ive ever done , the front are slightly taller then the rears so i automatically assumed the taller in this case was the front it never dawned on me to check out the remote chance of rear vs front scnerio

i got you kevin , just finished up a coilover setup for a 2nd gen gs for a member on hear......
Old 01-17-11, 04:29 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

lol no prob, they told me its something that happens alot with their springs, i think they should really label them, it would solve that issue.

Quick Reply: problem installing springs today!!!