Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

problem installing springs today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 07:29 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default problem installing springs today!!!

so i was so happy that my Road Magnet springs came and i had a friend/CL member LexforLife from the SC forums attempt to install them today but we couldnt get the da*m things to sit right in the front. They wouldnt sit properly in the top mount rubber housing. Im considering just getting a refund from Road Magnet, I sent them an email along with some pics i took. Well see. The spring circumference appeared to be smaller than the oem springs, Im not sure if they were just a bad set or if they maybe sent me the wrong set...we'll see what their reps say......
Attached Thumbnails problem installing springs today!!!-067.jpg   problem installing springs today!!!-068.jpg   problem installing springs today!!!-069.jpg  
Old 01-10-11, 12:16 AM
whitecel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you try and compress the shock? If not, you could it back into the car and jack-up the lca to compress the shock. Then tighten the center top nut.
Old 01-10-11, 04:14 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

let me ask a dumb question but it happens all the time. Are the springs on upside down?
Old 01-10-11, 04:41 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whitecel
Did you try and compress the shock? If not, you could it back into the car and jack-up the lca to compress the shock. Then tighten the center top nut.
i dont believe the mechanic doing the install tried that, but it really didnt look like the spring was made to go around that rubber mount, the oem spring fits around it with no force. like a glove.....but the RM spring we tried compressing the spring and putting the top mount on and then removed the spring compresser but it just wouldnt fall into place.

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
let me ask a dumb question but it happens all the time. Are the springs on upside down?
lol, we thought about that too, so just to satisfy curiousity we flipped the spring and even took out the bump stops completely to see if it would work. but it was a no go.
Old 01-10-11, 11:10 PM
whitecel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
i dont believe the mechanic doing the install tried that, but it really didnt look like the spring was made to go around that rubber mount, the oem spring fits around it with no force. like a glove.....but the RM spring we tried compressing the spring and putting the top mount on and then removed the spring compresser but it just wouldnt fall into place.

No no. I'm talking about compressing the shock not the spring.
Old 01-11-11, 04:45 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whitecel
No no. I'm talking about compressing the shock not the spring.

honestly im not sure, but i was there for nearly 4 hrs and he seemed to hav tried everything. I emailed Road Magnet the pics and im waiting for a response from them now.
Old 01-11-11, 06:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i think what whitecel is saying may be correct. once its on the car and the shock is compressed that the top coil will fit around the strut mount.
Old 01-11-11, 09:18 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

^^ i understand what your saying, but how come the oem springs fit without having to do that?
Old 01-11-11, 02:35 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Cause your going from a stock height to a 2inch drop there for shorter spring. If it sat likethe oem then there be no drop difference.
Old 01-11-11, 02:50 PM
nonopr01
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the reason I only use Lexus certified FSport parts.
Old 01-11-11, 04:20 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laobo979
Cause your going from a stock height to a 2inch drop there for shorter spring. If it sat likethe oem then there be no drop difference.
ok cool, and i spoke with a rep from Road Magnet today and he's convinced the guy was tryn to put them in upside down....i told him that i think the guy tried them both ways, but its hard to tell since there is no writing or anything on the springs, its kinda hard to tell which way is up. so i guess ill attempt to hav them installed again this weekend.

i was honestly saying if i had to return them i would just go with coils, but i guess these springs will work out for now
Old 01-11-11, 05:31 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

it sucks that they dont label their springs with any markings, to me i think its kinda hard to tell right side up....here are some pics of the front springs, can anyone chime in on which is the top.
Attached Thumbnails problem installing springs today!!!-082.jpg   problem installing springs today!!!-083.jpg  
Old 01-11-11, 05:33 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

here is a pic of the rears. which way is up.....lol
Attached Thumbnails problem installing springs today!!!-084.jpg   problem installing springs today!!!-085.jpg  
Old 01-11-11, 06:29 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
it sucks that they dont label their springs with any markings, to me i think its kinda hard to tell right side up....here are some pics of the front springs, can anyone chime in on which is the top.
the second pic is the one going to the top due to flat surface of the coil where it going to touch the upper mount.
Old 01-11-11, 07:37 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yo pm so I can talk to you ,also make sure that you have the right spring because the front spring looks like the rear spring . But you may have some free play due to a 2inch drop , also have to cut bump stop in half . My car has a lil more gap then that ,but am about 2.5" or 3" all around did you try it out and lower the ?

Quick Reply: problem installing springs today!!!