Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Springs Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 03:33 AM
vscalais
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smardav
yeah. maybe it's about 20-25 mm drop. idk for sure tho. didn't measure before n after drop. lol

thanks for the info dude, but i will pass. i wouldn't go with anything lower than this. this is my daily driving and i want 2gs comfort stay in the car. lol
Looking to do the same.

Tell me about the ride please with the L-Tuned springs and standard shocks.

What did you really notice? Anything major or subtle improvements? I know that it will be subjective, but I would be real keen to hear your impressions of the ride and handling with the L-Tuned springs please.

Cheers

Last edited by vscalais; 01-11-11 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 10:31 AM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah. It is. prolly only 1" drop? idk for sure. Nope. I'm still running on stock shock since it's still good.

are you asking for the amount of drops it gives? or the spring rate etc? what i know it gives abt 1" drop that's it. lol. for further info, maybe u can google it up.

haha. it's not an aggressive setting so it kinda look the same if u're not familiar with L-tuned setup. I don't want to give too much drop tho.. I would say 1" drop?
1" drop is good for me. What about your camber ?
Old 01-11-11, 12:44 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

smardav,

Glad to hear you changed your mind!! It looks so much better, and yet rides like stock, you won't regret it. Although, you are now burning your stock shocks at both ends. They're not meant for those springs and will probably die sooner. I'd start shopping for some kybs.

Also want to make sure your alignment's in specs. I got tired of burning through tires once a year, so I ended up replacing my ucas and putting on a used camber kit on the rear.

It's a good drop for a daily driver. Just be cognizant of speed bumps, and curbs when you park.

Once the drop settles it should be around 1.25". Enjoy!!
Old 01-12-11, 12:41 AM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIP-209
NICE gs bro...

If you go a little lower, it'll look so much better...
haha. thanks. but i would not go any lower than this. I prefer comfort than looks. lol.

Originally Posted by fuzzzz
Digging the slight drop. Lowerlowerlower. I can't wait to install my coils.
haha. go for it buddy!

Originally Posted by vscalais
Looking to do the same.

Tell me about the ride please with the L-Tuned springs and standard shocks.

What did you really notice? Anything major or subtle improvements? I know that it will be subjective, but I would be real keen to hear your impressions of the ride and handling with the L-Tuned springs please.

Cheers

well thank God the ride is not that much different. You can sense a little firmer when u hit bumpy roads, but it still tolerable. but hitting a curve, you definitely notive a huge different. before when u are cornering with stock gs, it feels like riding a floating boat, but it handles much more precise now.
Originally Posted by Euro09
1" drop is good for me. What about your camber ?
Originally Posted by Blanco
smardav,

Glad to hear you changed your mind!! It looks so much better, and yet rides like stock, you won't regret it. Although, you are now burning your stock shocks at both ends. They're not meant for those springs and will probably die sooner. I'd start shopping for some kybs.

Also want to make sure your alignment's in specs. I got tired of burning through tires once a year, so I ended up replacing my ucas and putting on a used camber kit on the rear.

It's a good drop for a daily driver. Just be cognizant of speed bumps, and curbs when you park.

Once the drop settles it should be around 1.25". Enjoy!!
thanks for the input man! do u have any suggestions on any good kybs for me? or prolly other brands? because i'm not looking something sporty here. I'm looking for comfort. If there's any aftermarket shock which gonna gives me better comfort with my latest setup, I would be happy to buy em..

I haven't done alignment yet. i will let it settles about a week or two first. what's ucas btw? and is it necessary for me to use chamber kit too? what does chamber kit do basically? I'm not really clear aboout it.

thanks blanco!
Old 01-12-11, 08:05 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

thanks for the input man! do u have any suggestions on any good kybs for me? or prolly other brands? because i'm not looking something sporty here. I'm looking for comfort. If there's any aftermarket shock which gonna gives me better comfort with my latest setup, I would be happy to buy em..

I haven't done alignment yet. i will let it settles about a week or two first. what's ucas btw? and is it necessary for me to use chamber kit too? what does chamber kit do basically? I'm not really clear aboout it.

thanks blanco!
KYB is a brand of shock. There are probably others that would fit the bill, but back when I bought the l-tuned setup, the L-tuned shocks were stamped from KYB. I use the GR-2 model #. The price is pretty cheap too. I think Eibach makes some. I think I remember reading that they're a bit firmer than the KYBs. I just wanted a smooth factory like ride when not cornering hard. Ucas = Upper Control Arms. Some people are able to get into spec aftering installing the L-tuned setup. I couldn't but got close. I think worn suspension parts were to blame, but played it safe and went with adjustable ucas by SPC. Now the front suspension is perfectly dialed in, and having new bushings to boot!!

The rears needed a camber kit. I bought a used SPC kit from another CL member in the classified. So far so good. After you get your alignment done by a good shop ( cause they're not all the same), you'll be able to tell if you need camber kits for front and/or back.

Now you need to get some clear corners on that beast!!
Old 01-12-11, 08:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

When I had my L-tuned springs (w/KYB shocks), the ride will very acceptable. It felt better matched than when I reverted back to stock springs while keeping the same shocks.

Alignment is no issue at the height you're lowered at. My rear camber was -0.9 while the fronts were -1.0. This is nothing concerning at all. Take care of the toe and your tires should last quite a while.
Old 01-12-11, 08:54 AM
Redline26
Pole Position

Nice ride... i noticed that you have a clear side marker on the left side of ur gs. I just ordered a pair myself but not sure if the stock bulb for it is white or yellow? If its white, I might have to go get a yellow bulb in terms of getting pulled over.
Old 01-12-11, 02:58 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blanco
KYB is a brand of shock. There are probably others that would fit the bill, but back when I bought the l-tuned setup, the L-tuned shocks were stamped from KYB. I use the GR-2 model #. The price is pretty cheap too. I think Eibach makes some. I think I remember reading that they're a bit firmer than the KYBs. I just wanted a smooth factory like ride when not cornering hard. Ucas = Upper Control Arms. Some people are able to get into spec aftering installing the L-tuned setup. I couldn't but got close. I think worn suspension parts were to blame, but played it safe and went with adjustable ucas by SPC. Now the front suspension is perfectly dialed in, and having new bushings to boot!!

The rears needed a camber kit. I bought a used SPC kit from another CL member in the classified. So far so good. After you get your alignment done by a good shop ( cause they're not all the same), you'll be able to tell if you need camber kits for front and/or back.

Now you need to get some clear corners on that beast!!

okay. I see then.. Well, I will just wait another week and get her alignment. and we'll see what comes up. but hopefully, nothing comes up. lol. I will let you know again dude! thanks anyway!

Originally Posted by GSteg
When I had my L-tuned springs (w/KYB shocks), the ride will very acceptable. It felt better matched than when I reverted back to stock springs while keeping the same shocks.

Alignment is no issue at the height you're lowered at. My rear camber was -0.9 while the fronts were -1.0. This is nothing concerning at all. Take care of the toe and your tires should last quite a while.
Thanks for ur info buddy. I will keep that # in mind when I do the alignment.

Originally Posted by Redline26
Nice ride... i noticed that you have a clear side marker on the left side of ur gs. I just ordered a pair myself but not sure if the stock bulb for it is white or yellow? If its white, I might have to go get a yellow bulb in terms of getting pulled over.
Redline, that's not a clear side marker. My car is a GS400 Platinum Series and what you think a clear side marker is actually the Platinum Series emblem. lol.
Old 01-12-11, 09:26 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In what part of Houston do you live? I like the slight drop, but it never hurts to go loweeeer! Lol.
Old 01-13-11, 11:00 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EN_VY
In what part of Houston do you live? I like the slight drop, but it never hurts to go loweeeer! Lol.
I'm in Spring.. Are you in Houston too? Which part of Houston? thank you but no thank you for going any lower than this. I want to keep it simple n functional. I'm looking for comfort here. lol
Old 01-13-11, 11:19 PM
dru916
Driver School Candidate

stance looks great!!!
Old 01-14-11, 01:22 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dru916
stance looks great!!!
Thanks!!
Old 01-14-11, 01:33 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Not bad
Old 01-17-11, 01:25 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Not bad
thanks..
Old 01-17-11, 01:55 PM
CreditDept
Driver School Candidate

nice drop.
i have a question. im planning on getting 19inch rims, now i know this is a personal preference type of deal, but i want to lower my car but not to much, just to a point where the tires are flush with the fenders. any suggestions on the brand and spcs on the springs. greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: New Springs Installed